By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most innovative/revolutionary Nintendo console ever

Nintendo's most innovative/revolutionary console:

NES 9 12.16%

GB 5 6.76%

SNES 0 0%

N64 8 10.81%

GBA 0 0%

Gamecube 1 1.35%

DS 7 9.46%

Wii 22 29.73%

Wii U 3 4.05%

Switch 19 25.68%

Total:74
curl-6 said:
vivster said:

Yes, kinda like how both the Wii U and PS2 were popular.

Motion controls are a key feature of the Switch, which is on track to be one of the most successful systems of all time.

IcaroRibeiro said:

A reach

Motion controls are a minor part of Switch that few games take advange of. I can only think 4 games on Switch that surpassed 1 million sales respecting on Motion controls: Ring Fit, Switch Boxing, arms and 1-2 Switch

And if Anything smartphones are far more linked to DS than Wii's 

Will's impact might be big but it was not lasting. Other companies tried to copy the gimmick and sucked, not even Nintendo is risking making games motion control based anymore because they understand their limited appeal. When they tries to incorporate into in a more traditional game let's say Arms the outcome was at best underwhelming  

The lasting impact of Wii I can think of is popularizing fit and dancing games with motion controls. But dance games always existed and were kind popular already, they just didn't yet resort in motion controls 

Far more than just a "few" Switch games use motion, gyro aiming is practically a standard in Switch shooters all the way from Doom to Overwatch to Fortnite, and some of the biggest games on the system use motion controls as default such as BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party and Splatoon 2, all of which are btw 10+ million sellers.

I meant games that TAKES advantage of motion controls, not games where we need to convive with their inconvenience or just disable the gyro because it sucks. Does anyone REALLY enjoy the absolute clusterfuck that is moving magnesis in BOTW? 

The games that I said are games that were designed to use the controls and are doing a nice job on it, they were few and they are specific 

Absolute no one of the games you quoted have any appeal in their motion controls, except maybe Splatoon and only because the camera controls are purposely so bad that you are kinda forced to adapt yourself to the gyro aiming lol  

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

Motion controls are a key feature of the Switch, which is on track to be one of the most successful systems of all time.

IcaroRibeiro said:

A reach

Motion controls are a minor part of Switch that few games take advange of. I can only think 4 games on Switch that surpassed 1 million sales respecting on Motion controls: Ring Fit, Switch Boxing, arms and 1-2 Switch

And if Anything smartphones are far more linked to DS than Wii's 

Will's impact might be big but it was not lasting. Other companies tried to copy the gimmick and sucked, not even Nintendo is risking making games motion control based anymore because they understand their limited appeal. When they tries to incorporate into in a more traditional game let's say Arms the outcome was at best underwhelming  

The lasting impact of Wii I can think of is popularizing fit and dancing games with motion controls. But dance games always existed and were kind popular already, they just didn't yet resort in motion controls 

Far more than just a "few" Switch games use motion, gyro aiming is practically a standard in Switch shooters all the way from Doom to Overwatch to Fortnite, and some of the biggest games on the system use motion controls as default such as BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Party and Splatoon 2, all of which are btw 10+ million sellers.

I meant games that TAKES advantage of motion controls, not games where we need to convive with their inconvenience or just disable the gyro because it sucks. Does anyone REALLY enjoy the absolute clusterfuck that is moving magnesis in BOTW? 

The games that I said are games that were designed to use the controls and are doing a nice job on it, they were few and they are specific 

Absolute no one of the games you quoted have any appeal in their motion controls, except maybe Splatoon and only because the camera controls are purposely so bad that you are kinda forced to adapt yourself to the gyro aiming lol  

The games I listed all take advantage of motion controls, either by default for major gameplay elements (aiming in BOTW and Splatoon) or in a non-optional capacity. (Odyssey and Mario Party)

That they "don't have any appeal in their motion controls" is a completely subjective statement; they may not to you as you're against motion controls on principal, but to me and millions of others they have a lot of appeal.

Beyond Nintendo's games, basically every significant Switch shooter offers motion controls; Doom 2016 and Eternal, Wolfenstein II and Youngblood, Metro 2033 and Last Light, Fortnite, Overwatch, Paladins, Sniper Elite 2, 3, and 4, Rogue Company, Crysis Remastered, RE Revelations 1 & 2, Warframe, the list goes on. They wouldn't bother with it if there was no appeal or demand for it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 December 2020

NES obviously as we probably wouldn't be here with it being the first modern platform and how it changed how games were designed and developed.

Playing wii sports with my grandmother and cousin (10 years old) at the same time, showed me that nintendo opened up the path for casual gaming and that is extraordinary for the game industry. In a way it probably motivated developers to create more of this content that right now thanks to mobile games is a huge market.