By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DOOM Eternal for Switch launches December 8

I almost bought this for PS4 for Black Friday but you need to sign into a Bethesda account and be online to play single player as I understand it every version is like this. So fuck it.

Last edited by Leynos - on 30 November 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:

I almost bought this for PS4 for Black Friday but you need to sign into a Bethesda account and be online to play single player as I understand it every version is like this. So fuck it.

You need to login once and if I'm not mistaken you can even skip it with the last updates. The problem is that the same will probably also be present in Switch version as well.

Glad this game ended up being finished ported. I'm excited to see what digital foundry thinks of it. Loved doom 2016.

I plan to buy it, but will likely wait a while. No physical is hard to swallow. Likely wait for a generous sale. Got a lot of games to play right now.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

According to lead engineer Travis Archer, resolution is comparable to the Switch ports of Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein II:

I can’t be precise because it varies so much, but I can tell you that it’s comparable to our previous titles with Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein 2 being the most obvious examples there. We’re trying to achieve the same performance despite a much higher quality bar, and so that was a big challenge, but that was kind of our goal - it has to be as good as the other titles despite the increased complexity.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/373432-doom-eternal-s-resolution-is-comparable-to-doom-2016-and-wolf

Panic Button have yet to fall short in their ports to Switch so far despite the ambition of their projects, so I have faith in them to deliver once again with Eternal.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 November 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

It looks really good but like kinda late port in the end. Hope it doesn't fail.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Shikamo said:

18.8gb

For the whole game or just the single player? Single player file size is 40GB on PC and the last gen consoles. Multiplayer was a separate 38GB download. 

Side Note: It's going to be weird calling the PS4/XB1 last gen for a little while.

Nintendo has some pretty advanced compression routines from the 90's and 2000's that the competition lacks, hence why they can make them use less space.

The commemoration is fulfilled Finally happens

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

curl-6 said:

Panic Button have yet to fall short in their ports to Switch so far despite the ambition of their projects, so I have faith in them to deliver once again with Eternal.

They fall short a lot in my expectations. Dropping to 360p is unacceptable. Their priority of maintaining graphical effects at the expense of resolution means I will never play the games they port. Their priorities are all wrong in my opinion, but they get praised.

Eurogamer about Wolfenstein 2 - "We pixel counted a wide variety of shots from the docked mode, and came up with a whole host of results. Everything ranging from a top end of 720p to 1216x684 to 540p and 432p all the way down to 640x360. When played in portable mode, 768x432 and 640x360 are common pixel counts... When using docked mode on a 55-inch 4K TV, I found the game to be exceptionally blurry. Just like Doom before it"

I couldn't stand to play them, though worth noting that eurogamer also praise the ports. I'd rather have it look like a PS3 game at 720p portable then try to be a ps4 game and drop to 360p.

But for those that don't mind it, enjoy. It seems I'm in the minority that think Panic Button are terrible.

Skyrim is an example of a switch port done right.

Last edited by Barkley - on 01 December 2020

Great for those who were waiting for it. It's the best game of 2020 I've played so far, and better by a good margin than the first one.
Although I think this game is better suited for PC, for those who have the option.

Barkley said:
curl-6 said:

They fall short a lot in my expectations. Dropping to 360p is unacceptable. Their priority of maintaining graphical effects at the expense of resolution means I will never play the games they port. Their priorities are all wrong in my opinion, but they get praised.

Eurogamer about Wolfenstein 2 - "We pixel counted a wide variety of shots from the docked mode, and came up with a whole host of results. Everything ranging from a top end of 720p to 1216x684 to 540p and 432p all the way down to 640x360. When played in portable mode, 768x432 and 640x360 are common pixel counts... When using docked mode on a 55-inch 4K TV, I found the game to be exceptionally blurry. Just like Doom before it"

I couldn't stand to play them, though worth noting that eurogamer also praise the ports. I'd rather have it look like a PS3 game at 720p portable then try to be a ps4 game and drop to 360p.

But for those that don't mind it, enjoy. It seems I'm in the minority that think Panic Button are terrible.

Skyrim is an example of a switch port done right.

I agree a 720p game with the level of detal of a Ps3 is better than a game with Ps4 level of detail at 360p...but to be fair you're comparing apple and oranges.

In terms of "porting effort" is very much easier to enhance a Ps3 game (like Skyrim) add some better textures, longer draw distance, more effects etc.etc., compared to "downscale" a game designed for Ps4/XB1...that would require reworking the assets to make them "Switch compliant". I'm not sure the cost of such effort would break even for a single port.