By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DOOM Eternal for Switch launches December 8

Well, if it goes live when they say it does (Midnight ET, which is 4pm today here) then just 5 hours til I can download it.

I'll post impressions once I've taken it for a spin.

Meanwhile, according to Panic Button this was their hardest Switch port to date, and at first even with all the optimizations they used for Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein II/Youngblood it ran about the same as Doom 2016 did without optimizations:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/373751-panic-button-says-doom-eternal-was-their-most-difficult-port-to-d

Around the Network

Okay, played the first 45 minutes or so.

The port is really impressive; no major framerate drops so far, and image quality about equal to post-patch Doom 2016 but with more detailed assets. If the rest of the experience holds up to this level of quality, this is Panic Button's finest hour.

The game itself is really awesome too. 

I'm downloading it.

And got Doom 64 for free, yay!

I still can't believe that full PC ports of games like Doom/Ethernal/Witcher 3 actually work on Switch. Hats down for the developers working on those ports. 

Ok I've played the first level, and it's very surprising how well it runs. Despite being at 30fps, the game is like running on a river of butter, it's smooth as hell, it's indescribable, it's like having no input lag at all, every movement is reproduced at the same exact moment.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:

Ok I've played the first level, and it's very surprising how well it runs. Despite being at 30fps, the game is like running on a river of butter, it's smooth as hell, it's indescribable, it's like having no input lag at all, every movement is reproduced at the same exact moment.

Yeah the game's subtle high quality motion blur really helps that 30fps look smoother than you'd expect, and it feels extremely responsive. I just finished the first mission and I'm very impressed so far.

I also forgot how intense and challenging these games are; if you stand still for even a second you're in for a world of pain, haha. It's so damn satisfying when you blast a demon into submission than tear it apart with a glory kill and a shower of health/ammo. So far it's every bit as good as Doom 2016 which was already one of my top 5 Switch games.

curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

Yeah the game's subtle high quality motion blur really helps that 30fps look smoother than you'd expect, and it feels extremely responsive. I just finished the first mission and I'm very impressed so far.

I also forgot how intense and challenging these games are; if you stand still for even a second you're in for a world of pain, haha. It's so damn satisfying when you blast a demon into submission than tear it apart with a glory kill and a shower of health/ammo. So far it's every bit as good as Doom 2016 which was already one of my top 5 Switch games.

OK, I'm done with this thread. You guys are selling me hard on this game, even though I tried to write it off because of it being digital-only. Reading your impressions of it is getting me more amped than I want to be.

burninmylight said:
curl-6 said:

OK, I'm done with this thread. You guys are selling me hard on this game, even though I tried to write it off because of it being digital-only. Reading your impressions of it is getting me more amped than I want to be.

Same here!

Okay I have several missions in by now and it is, quite literally, bloody brilliant.

The combat flows like a finely oiled machine greased with nitroglycerine, the exploration has surprisingly strong shades of Metroid Prime, and the port is easily Panic Button's finest work to date.

This is a conversion that truly deserves to be supported.

I feel like there should be an award at The Game Awards every year for best port/porting studio. That way Panic Button would get the accolades they deserve. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what they accomplish, even if it is mainly on games that aren't my cup of tea.