By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony counting on dualsense?

We can all see that PS5 are facing a lot more competition this time around. MS have leveled the "1. party advance" And mayby has the strongest console (atleast for things not using the fast PS5 storage) and at same time offering crazy value with gamepas.

We also know that companys like google, amazon and apple wants in on the 3. party action and have billions to burn on the projekt, and Facebook not giving them any free pass in the VR department. And offcourse Nintendo in top shape is not that good either.

Most console buyers dont buy after brand name, but the actully value. Meaning Price, games, design/quality.

WiiU showed that even if a new console has better and updatet 1. party Ip's (amongst the most selling ever) and follow a 100 million console, Nothing is set in stone.

PS5 has the dualsense. I have not tried it.. but it looks very very good.  Is the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers a fad or must have?

Last edited by FromDK - on 29 November 2020

Around the Network

It's receiving good support at the moment but so did HD rumble when the Switch launched.

It's up to developers, first and third to make sure it isn't a fad. Too early to call, tbh.

Remember PS2 pressure buttons? PS3 Sixaxis? PS4 Touchpad? In a year or 2, most games won't use it, and the ones that do be mostly half-assed.

The same goes for Nintendo systems. Most DS games used the second screen as a map. Stopped trying to do new things. Gamepad few used even Nintendo.

These things just get abandoned quickly by 3rd party devs.

Last edited by Leynos - on 29 November 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Remember PS2 pressure buttons? PS3 Sixaxis? PS4 Touchpad? In a year or 2, most games won't use it, and the ones that do be mostly half-assed.

The same goes for Nintendo systems. Most DS games used the second screen as a map. Stopped trying to do new things. Gamepad few used even Nintendo.

I wouldn't be so quick... The haptic feedback in the triggers for x1 seem to have been relatively well supported throughout the cycle. If it's super easy and simple to implement, who knows.

Leynos said:

The difference here is that you don't have to fundamentally alter a game's design to accommodate the DualSense's new features. Sure it still takes a bit of extra work, but it's fairly straightforward to add finer vibration and trigger resistance where appropriate. Third parties will indeed put less effort into it, but I can see the DualSense's features having longer legs due to their ease of use and tangibly positive impact.

Around the Network

Devs will bee needing to worry about Xbox Series S/X,PC and PS5. Any extra steps will not be any priority even if simple.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

... No...

As a disclaimer I haven't tried it yet, but I can't fathom how this could be a major selling point. I enjoy the HD Rumble for the Switch, and by all accounts this is a better version of that, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But is anyone really going to choose a system because its controller rumbles in a cool way?

Bandorr said:
JWeinCom said:

... No...

As a disclaimer I haven't tried it yet, but I can't fathom how this could be a major selling point. I enjoy the HD Rumble for the Switch, and by all accounts this is a better version of that, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it. But is anyone really going to choose a system because its controller rumbles in a cool way?

Yes. As a disclaimer I've been using it since day one. Absolutely yes.

All things equal - more is more.

edit: that assumes all things equal. If you like exclusives on both etc and you are wondering "do I get Borderlands 3 for PS or XB".

If literally everything else about the systems were exactly the same or equally appealing, then yes. But if you had to rank the factors that you'd consider, how far down would rumble and haptic triggers be on your list? How many people do you really think this will be the deciding factor for?

Bandorr said:
JWeinCom said:

If literally everything else about the systems were exactly the same or equally appealing, then yes. But if you had to rank the factors that you'd consider, how far down would rumble and haptic triggers be on your list? How many people do you really think this will be the deciding factor for?

Are we talking consoles or games? If you have both systems - then quite I few. I know several already that are going third part for ps5. The frame rates and performances are nearly the same.  Quick resume is is similar (and better) to the removal of the "logos" and activities on the ps5.

As a console selling point - maybe.  I'd probably put it under games. Exclusives mattering the most, and then gamepass.

If someone is only buying an xbox for halo/forza/Gears then yeah that won't do anything. 

But if GTA 6 takes full advantage of the dual sense on the PS? Hell yeah that will absolutely affect sales of consoles.

I believe that too.. and the more casual crowd always like new experinces

Bandorr said:
JWeinCom said:

Are we talking consoles or games? If you have both systems - then quite I few. I know several already that are going third part for ps5. The frame rates and performances are nearly the same.  Quick resume is is similar (and better) to the removal of the "logos" and activities on the ps5.

As a console selling point - maybe.  I'd probably put it under games. Exclusives mattering the most, and then gamepass.

If someone is only buying an xbox for halo/forza/Gears then yeah that won't do anything. 

But if GTA 6 takes full advantage of the dual sense on the PS? Hell yeah that will absolutely affect sales of consoles.

If Sony is "counting on" it, I would assume that they're talking about consoles. But even among for games, I don't think it's near the top of the list for many people. Performance would likely be at the top. I'd imagine that for multiplayer games, what other people play on (and cross platform play). For games that are available on Switch as well, there is portability to consider. And, for people with a gaming quality PC, they might consider that.

Controller is definitely more relevant to games than console, but still not really going to top my list. And this is also assuming that the Dual Sense features actually make the controller better, which I'd have to try them both to figure out. I generally find XBox's controllers way more comfortable than Playstation, so that would have to factor in.

As for consoles, the dualsense features (microphone, HDrumble, adaptive triggers or whatever they use), are pretty low on my list. Exclusives would come first, then services like Gamepass/PSNow, then hardware specs, then probably what more of my friends have, then price, then probably the controller as a whole, but not necessarily limited to those specific features. The quality of rumble/trigger resistance is probably a bit further down after overall comfort of the controller, backwards compatibility for hardware/software, back catalog, and maybe the OS. At best it would be like my fifth consideration, but it would be a really distant fifth. 

As for GT6 w/dualsense features being a significantly better system seller than GT6 with not as good dual sense features... I'm highly skeptical.

GT6+Mediocre Dualsense Use- Nah.

GT6+ Great Dualsense Use- Here's $300+.

Doesn't add up to me.