By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony counting on dualsense?

Delivery on the 5th, damn the pre-orders were way too early.

Around the Network

Not a fad, but not a must have either.

That being said Astro's Playroom is the best PS Exclusive out at the moment imho.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Not really the Playstation name and games are what Sony is counting on, price is not an issue unlike PS3, looking at the dualsense from an increased console sales perspective not so much, it should make a difference in regard to multiplatform owners decision making when looking at comparable 3rd party games, but that's about it it, this wasn't designed to have a Wii remote impact.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Shinobi-san said:

That being said Astro's Playroom is the best PS Exclusive out at the moment imho.

Pretty much. The newly added features are just icing on the cake. Extra stuff can add to the experience, though doesn't make it.

Saying that, if said features are implemented well, it'll be hard to go back. I remember back in the PSX and PS2 era where the Dualshock rumble was so strong and crudely done. And later gets it improved gen over gen. Now we have share button, touchpad alongside improved rumble, built in mics and adaptive triggers.

And while people won't buy a console for a features of a new controller, it might be a factor in the decision making in buying one console over another. Or choosing to buy/play a game on PS5 vs other platforms. But yeah people will be buying consoles for the games, not a controller xP

Last edited by hinch - on 25 January 2021

Dual sense and the 3D audio thing are not game changers, but Sony wanted to throw those into the mix so that they would have a little next gen flavor all around for the new console. They might have a longer game plan where they want to try and pull away from the competition by offering more immersion via hardware(feedback, audio, VR).
But it's the brand and the games that they really count on. They have managed to build somewhat of a reputation for good quality and variety in games, which is not easy and takes years, even multiple console generations to do. Their first party should try and squeeze everything they can out of these new features, because we know third parties won't have an incentive to put much effort in to them. Unless Sony creates such an incentive for them.

Around the Network
hinch said:
Shinobi-san said:

Pretty much. The newly added features are just icing on the cake. Extra stuff can add to the experience, though doesn't make it.

Saying that, if said features are implemented well, it'll be hard to go back. I remember back in the PSX and PS2 era where the Dualshock rumble was so strong and crudely done. And later gets it improved gen over gen. Now we have share button, touchpad alongside improved rumble, built in mics and adaptive triggers.

And while people won't buy a console for a features of a new controller, it might be a factor in the decision making in buying one console over another. Or choosing to buy/play a game on PS5 vs other platforms. But yeah people will be buying consoles for the games, not a controller xP

Yes this is what i expect too

Offcorse if some just cant live without the new god of war.. spidernan or other of the PS exklusive. they sure buy a playstation. But alot of the popular games are 3. part and comes to the other plaforms too.. Some of them not even comming to playstation anymore.. And it would be pretty lam not to think Google. amazon. apple and few others wont make exklusive deals and/or buy up any more 3. party.

As I see it.. if sony only "counting" on games... they will not in any way reach the sales of ps4.. and proberly not ps3 either. imo

Dante9 said:

Dual sense and the 3D audio thing are not game changers, but Sony wanted to throw those into the mix so that they would have a little next gen flavor all around for the new console. They might have a longer game plan where they want to try and pull away from the competition by offering more immersion via hardware(feedback, audio, VR).
But it's the brand and the games that they really count on. They have managed to build somewhat of a reputation for good quality and variety in games, which is not easy and takes years, even multiple console generations to do. Their first party should try and squeeze everything they can out of these new features, because we know third parties won't have an incentive to put much effort in to them. Unless Sony creates such an incentive for them.

Playstation brand in strong.. that is i fact.. But so are Xbox. Nintendo. Google. Amazon and lots of others.

Dont know if you know this.. but the by fare biggest part of any console genration buys the same way as you (proberly) buy a phone.. and most other electronic devices.. You compare what you get and what you have to pay.. The fact that it's the new ps is nice.. but they still look at what they get with other offering before deciding.

Dont act like.. its a playstation then it doosent matter what the competition does

FromDK said:
vivster said:

There is so much wrong in your post.

So far PS5 isn't facing any more competition than the PS4 did.
Google, Amazon and Apple are irrelevant in the console space and most likely won't be during this gen.
Most console buyers do buy by brand, or at least by the games associated with it. Even if you go by pure value the PS5 is far ahead with their discless version.
Wii U showed nothing that is in any way relevant to the current generation.

Nobody who buys the PS5 will buy it because it has a shiny new controller. They will buy it because it's a Playstation.

I forgot to repley at the time.. but the above is delusional beyond time.

"So far PS5 isn't facing any more competition than the PS4 did"

1. Nintendo and Microsoft in top shape (With PS4.. both had negativ PR)

2. Some of the biggest companys in the world (many times bigger than sony) have startet.. and will burn billions of dollars to get in on the action (no matter how you spin it.. thats not the same as last time)

3. Cloud gaming is here.. big % of the console market can now play New AAA games without have to buy a console (This we will get attention from some parents and more casual gamers)

"Google, Amazon and Apple are irrelevant in the console space and most likely won't be during this gen"

4. We know they will invest heavily.. how on earth can you just say they will be "irrelevant"

Also remember that they allready has us in in their ecosystems.

https://www.androidcentral.com/stadia-might-be-best-way-play-cyberpunk-2077-right-now-most-gamers

"Most console buyers do buy by brand, or at least by the games associated with it"

That's what I'm saying :) Do not buy by brand.. The reason I say this is that I often see people act like just becourse its a playstation it will sell.  The reality is that the average video game customer look at "the value in hand" and if they trust that company.

"Wii U showed nothing that is in any way relevant to the current generation"

5. It showed that the most popular console and games.. dosent automatic translates to succes with next console.

"Nobody who buys the PS5 will buy it because it has a shiny new controller"

The hole point of this tread is to find out.. from people who tried it.. if DUALSENSE is inded the reason why (non playstation drones) will see extra value and therefor choose PS5. But thanks for your input

1. Nintendo's Switch competed with PS4 and it did nothing to its success. It will compete with the PS5 and will also do nothing. Blaming the X1's lack of success to bad PR at the start is delusional. XSX has a better starting position but still the exact same flaws the X1 had, which is why it will yet again not put a dent in PS5's success.

2. Nobody is burning billions to compete with Sony or Nintendo. The console business is a terrible business for anyone but the established consoles. Nobody actually wants to build a competitor, because that is way too expensive, when it's so much easier and less risky to generate revenue by just making software. Just think of the many times in the past decades when news broke that some bigshot is trying to get into the console space and then nothing happened.

3. Cloud gaming is not here. Currently it is nothing more than a less preferable option to gaming. Cloud gaming is here when we see Nintendo and Sony games in the cloud and Sony isn't making consoles anymore.

4. Neither google or Amazon will build competitor consoles. They will try to build cloud gaming and will only find success after this gen. WHat they invest in will be a market niche to be first there. But a market niche isn't the same as a competitor to Sony or Nintendo. They will not compete against them this gen and they will not try because they know it would be stupid.

5. Sony shows that you can have 4 wildly successful generations in a row, so there is that. Nintendo shows how you can still fail while being Nintendo. Last time I checked Sony isn't Nintendo, as such it's irrelevant what the Wii U did.

But this is getting off topic. Point is that Dualsense is not gonna be relevant to selling PS5s in any meaningful way. Exactly as it was in all previous gens. It's kinda demeaning to even suggest that the Dualsense will have as much impact as all the other great things that makes the PS5 worth buying. It's like suggesting that the quality of the packing material is somehow relevant to sales.

Dualsense is packing material. You expect it to be there and do its job, but you don't buy it for it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

1. Nintendo's Switch competed with PS4 and it did nothing to its success. It will compete with the PS5 and will also do nothing. Blaming the X1's lack of success to bad PR at the start is delusional. XSX has a better starting position but still the exact same flaws the X1 had, which is why it will yet again not put a dent in PS5's success.

2. Nobody is burning billions to compete with Sony or Nintendo. The console business is a terrible business for anyone but the established consoles. Nobody actually wants to build a competitor, because that is way too expensive, when it's so much easier and less risky to generate revenue by just making software. Just think of the many times in the past decades when news broke that some bigshot is trying to get into the console space and then nothing happened.

3. Cloud gaming is not here. Currently it is nothing more than a less preferable option to gaming. Cloud gaming is here when we see Nintendo and Sony games in the cloud and Sony isn't making consoles anymore.

4. Neither google or Amazon will build competitor consoles. They will try to build cloud gaming and will only find success after this gen. WHat they invest in will be a market niche to be first there. But a market niche isn't the same as a competitor to Sony or Nintendo. They will not compete against them this gen and they will not try because they know it would be stupid.

5. Sony shows that you can have 4 wildly successful generations in a row, so there is that. Nintendo shows how you can still fail while being Nintendo. Last time I checked Sony isn't Nintendo, as such it's irrelevant what the Wii U did.

But this is getting off topic. Point is that Dualsense is not gonna be relevant to selling PS5s in any meaningful way. Exactly as it was in all previous gens. It's kinda demeaning to even suggest that the Dualsense will have as much impact as all the other great things that makes the PS5 worth buying. It's like suggesting that the quality of the packing material is somehow relevant to sales.

Dualsense is packing material. You expect it to be there and do its job, but you don't buy it for it.

1. I don't "Blaming the X1's lack of success to bad PR" I only say that Xbox and Microsoft is in a better position than last time.

2. Think you missunderstood me.. I'm not talking about them making a console.. I'm talking about them also offering almost all big 3. party games and very likely get exclusive deals and even buying up 3. party studios.

3. Sony and Nintendo does not (sadly) decides when cloud gaming starts?

4. You think they will first matter in 6-8 years.. Lets just leave it there (and come back in few years)

5. You are all to fixed on names.. for most of the pulic.. they are not.. they look at what they get at what price.

I think it will be the deciding factor for some of future PS5 buyers.. When it comes to 3. party games it's the one thing that makes them unique.

Last edited by FromDK - on 27 January 2021

Double post..

Last edited by FromDK - on 27 January 2021

PS consoles sell based on their package, have been working fine for them since PS1.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."