By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Nov 8 to 14 - PS5 & Xbox Series X|S Launch to Record Sales

PS5 in Europe?

Around the Network

It was out the 19th november for us in Europe.
That's why

You put the Switch in 2 despite selling more than PS5 in Asia

Even without any big releases, Switch sells like hot cakes... Just like Wii.

Looks great, Xbox off to a nice start.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

This is the one time you'll be able to see an Xbox console on top in Europe.
Lightning in a bottle, ladies and gentlemen.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Epic results.  PS5 looks to be a 2-2.5M opening with Europe included.  First quarter will be an all time record assuming there will be sufficient BF/December stock.

As for NSW, here's how it stacks up against top VGC years now, its starting to take the clear lead for 46 week YTD.

Despite that, I think it is under-tracked in the US.  VGC has the first two weeks of Nov up about 45% from 2019, but this results in the first week of Nov 2020 being down from the last week of Oct 2020, which I'm not sure makes sense given trajectory.  W45 I think will bump up 30K from 170>200K, and W46 will bump up 40K from 260>300K, so current standing will end up being ~20,600.  Another 350K for Zelda week and then 1.1-1.2M for BF week gets the month up past 2M for NPD Nov.  

No idea on Europe, we'll have to wait for reports on that.  USA is becoming easier to predict though.

So Switch already surpassed last year's number right ? Pretty mind blowing there is still the most important weeks yet. Knowing BF is way bigger now that it was during DS/Wii days, i think Switch will have no trouble keeping that lead and will break the record.

Xbox had a good launch it's nice to see. Would have been even stronger with a strong title at launch but still that's good. Hopefully they don't fuck up again and can maintain an interest over the whole gen.

xMetroid said:

So Switch already surpassed last year's number right ? Pretty mind blowing there is still the most important weeks yet. Knowing BF is way bigger now that it was during DS/Wii days, i think Switch will have no trouble keeping that lead and will break the record.

Xbox had a good launch it's nice to see. Would have been even stronger with a strong title at launch but still that's good. Hopefully they don't fuck up again and can maintain an interest over the whole gen.

Yes, by VGC numbers it passed it two weeks ago.  We will be getting VGC W47 (AOC launch and PS5 Europe launch) I presume later today as well so we'll see how the lead is building.

Xbox without Halo is pretty impressive.

Total market for PS/XB has remained fairly steady. By VGC numbers we have 182M Gen 6, 173M Gen 7, and 162.5M Gen 8, which will continue accumulate over the next 2 years (PS4 should have >10M left in the tank by itself), so we'll see gen 8 end at 175-180M as well.

Premise for Gen 9 LTD performance should start with this baseline. Did either party do anything to expand the base? For PS5, despite the obvious hype right now, answer seems like a no. When you zoom out, PS5 is more of the same, though that shouldn't be seen as a slight - Sony's been the market king for 25 years, makes sense to continue a successful strategy with refinement.

HOWEVER I do think this gen yields room for a little expansion on the 180M base, because Microsoft has taken two actions - frugal alternative at launch and aggressive stance with Gamepass, and on top of that, these two ideas synergize very well (see their $25/$35 monthly pricing strategy).  I think this combined strat is the first true effort between the two to expand the buying base, instead of implementing tactics to eat into each other's market share.

I expect this gen to crack 200M between the two, with Sony hitting the same ballpark as last gen (PS5 LTD @ 125M, +/- 10M), but Xbox expanding from their 45-50M range up to 70M (+/- 10M) or so. Final result of 130M PS5 / 70M XBS would not surprise me, come 2028.