By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Biggest Console Launch In History!

Scalpers are the reason why the PS5 is sold out? I've heard it all now lol.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

So when you say "I dont want to be that guy but Scalpers also have a major part in this story unfortantly" (sic), the implication is.....nothing? Nothing to do with anything regarding sales, sales potential or any aspect of the launch numbers themselves. You must have simply come into this thread to mention it is unfortunate that scalpers have been buying consoles, and you don't appreciate the practice, right?  You just did so in an very obtuse, awkward, almost unbelievable manner, instead of simply stating as much to begin with....bullshit.

And you're asking ME what figures I'm going by when you say, again, "I dont want to be that guy but Scalpers also have a major part in this story unfortantly". (sic)

Well what's the story? The story of the most successful launch in history. " Scalpers also have a major part in this story" How major? Where are YOUR numbers?

And of course, none of this matters, because a sale is #1, a sale, and #2, some of theses scalped units will be repurchased on the secondary market. This type of activity only happens when items are expected to be IN DEMAND. You realize that's how this works, right?

I gave you evidence, where is yours? You need to read the links i give people, i even posted a video. Demand and reality are too very different things. Their is demand however that demand sells over the course of time, the reality is not all consoles were given to actual customers. There are thousands of PS5s/XSX sitting in scalper's warehouses.

No point in arguing with me, I don't write this stuff. Have a read otherwise don't get upset.

PS5 scalpers are probably the reason you can’t find Sony's console in stock | TechRadar

DonFerrari said:

So please explain to me how if the console wouldn't sold out without scalpers how will the scalpers sell it for 2 or 3x the price?

They don't, not all systems are resold as there are plenty of them still for sale on online store fronts. What ever scalpers do with the consoles after they get them is irrelevant, the sales have already been made. 

BraLoD said:

I don't know why you even pretend you have a reason to try to downplay Sony as you have always done since you came here (actually I saw you doing that on N4G years ago too, and I pointed it to you back then too), it's not like I don't know you and what and why you do what you do.

To believe you actually told Don you don't think it would be sold out without scalpers is just something else, this is as baseless and lacking sense as it goes.

As Don pointed it to you, even as you already know it, it sells even for even 2x or 3x the price, imagine all systems for the regular fair price.

Just another day for Sony hating, just another day to have to see Sony break records. Must be a really sad hobby.

So someone who posts actual news on a forum to add reality into the events, turns into you and others having a dig at me. Nice logic, that shows your true colors. The PS5 would have still sold well, but would it have sold out? That's the question. There are thousands of brand new PS5's and XSX on the internet you can purchase right now, if it was sold out than why can anyone buy them off the net so easily and everywhere? I also made many mentions of the XSX which seems to have been ignored. No way would Xbox sell out on XSX either. But lets ignore the fact scalpers have had a hand in these sales and lets just blame and report those for bringing it up much like what you and others have done. I don't care for console wars, ill do it against the Xbox or Nintendo as well. 

Now to everyone about to reply to my Post, I need to respect my Moderators as CGI has mentioned before, its gone off topic, i am bowing out of this thread as all its done is cause people to be upset. If you want to continue to debate this with me, than inbox me. Otherwise don't hate the messager. Let the thread continue back on its normal course.

Ha ha, responding to the above, helping him find reality.

If there wasn't demand there wouldn't be scalpers. So PS5 will be/is sold out any way, because demand is HUGE.

Accept reality, numbers don't lie. I'm reading PS5 has sold 2.5million. In comparsion to SeriesX's 1.5million? I am sure we will have some apple to apples tally in 1-2 weeks. But every thing points to a huge win for Sony and well deserved with how they have supported their console since the ps3.

It feels like the argument being made here is that a million+ units have been scalped and therefore it should be considered a successful launch.

Intrinsic said:
Wman1996 said:

I still say it sells worse in its lifetime than the PS2 and PS4. But congrats to Sony, I suppose.
I think the momentum from the PS4 and more people staying inside helped make this happen. That and features like PS4 backwards compatibility, an All-Digital Option, and an SSD.

PS2..I can understand. I am really curious to hear what or why you think it sells less than the PS4 though?

Surely... you don't think the Switch will impact its sales, do you? Or is it that the Xbox is going to do a lot better this gen and pull sales from the PS5?

Because the game hardware market is more or less stabilizing. Shrinkage is inevitable too. I don't think we're gonna see another fluke like Gen 7 where the Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, DS, and PSP combined sold about 510 million units.

Yes, there will be some siphoning off of PlayStation sales by Xbox and Nintendo. They are a lot smarter now than 2012 and 2013. But some of it will be the changing market anyway. By 2040 or sooner, the vast majority of gaming will be on computers and mobile devices. Really the only video hardware at that point will be nostalgia/classic machines like Nintendo Minis, PlayStation Classics, etc. You won't be playing on a PS8 or something. The final PlayStation will likely be PS6 or PS7.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Well... apparently, we have scalpers to thank for thePS5 selling so well.

Wow this thread has really become something. Well done PS5, and thanks for a good laugh. Some people will never cease to amaze me.

Seems like the price hike in games didnt really affect it much. Good for Sony and third party publishers I guess.

Barkley said:

Wow this thread has really become something. Well done PS5, and thanks for a good laugh. Some people will never cease to amaze me.

Poor souls, not their fault if citrate isn't a digestive strong enough for crow!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Intrinsic said:

Well... apparently, we have scalpers to thank for thePS5 selling so well.

Let's give them a warm thank you in behalf of Sony.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."