By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - Dirt 5

Bristow9091 said:

So from what I've just watched, PS5 seems to beat out the XSX in EVERY category except in the 120FPS mode, it has a weird portion of dips down to the 80's but only for that first part of the first track you play, the next one was a solid 120FPS while maintaining higher graphical fidelity.

XSX performed more consistently in 120 fps mode presumably because it looks like this:

This is actually really weird. Can't see how this is happening, toolkits being behind or not.
So reading this comment makes sense: "- DF theorizes this is likely a bug. They have been told the developers are looking into it."



Around the Network

This start of gen is going totally unexpected.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Hiku said:
Bristow9091 said:

So from what I've just watched, PS5 seems to beat out the XSX in EVERY category except in the 120FPS mode, it has a weird portion of dips down to the 80's but only for that first part of the first track you play, the next one was a solid 120FPS while maintaining higher graphical fidelity.

XSX performed more consistently in 120 fps mode presumably because it looks like this:

This is actually really weird. Can't see how this is happening, toolkits being behind or not.
So reading this comment makes sense: "- DF theorizes this is likely a bug. They have been told the developers are looking into it."

Oh yeah I've no doubt it's some sort of a bug, and as I said I really hope they can patch it or something. Based on the console specs alone there should be absolutely no reason the XSX has to drop image quality so drastically in order to reach 120FPS... unless that was always the plan and they just forgot to do it with PS5, hence why we see the frame dips at the start, lol :P



JRPGfan said:
Otter said:
JRPGfan said:
jenpol said:

Wow, at 10 to 12 min the xbox sX version is missing a lot of foliage and the cars assets are low poly. Why?

They do that to reach 120fps on the XSX.
They couldnt do it, with the same image quality as the PS5, so they lowered settings, to get FPS up.

Thats why cars look like this in that mode:

Did you read that somewhere? DF also outright said they think its either a bug or a mistake, its not realistic to assume that this is representative of the power difference between the X and PS5. It seems like Series X is running the profile of a another Xbox System in terms of details, potentially the S but maybe even One X. All just speculation but nothing we've seen on paper would warrant this degree of difference between the platforms

DF downplayed everything (they have a slight xbox bias, but have enough integratity to atleast not misslead).
Also supposedly they called to confirm findings, before releaseing the video (they mention this in the video).
If they where unsure, they should have asked them.

Why is DF "speculateing" about it being a bug or mistake of somesort? When they apparently talked to the devs, who confirmed what they found is how the game is runnings.

We dont know why the game runs like this on the xbox version, and DF apparently didnt bother asking (great journalism).
We cant rule out, that the devs made trade offs, to get it running better on the XSX (at the cost of image quality).

Why would they do that? is it prepresentative of the power differnce?
No, but again, maybe this is because of the tools. Maybe with their toolkit issues, they had to go this route to get it running smoothly at 120fps.


Also DF didnt mention anything about the Dual Sense.
The haptic feedback ect, is supposed to be decent for this game (apparently devs took time to redo it).

The PS5 Version is vastly superior(visuals, performance, Dualsense features) and sincerely I got a bit disgusted by Digital Foundry; I have unsubscribed 5 minutes ago, they are not serious people.



”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

JRPGfan said:

Bristow9091 said:
So from what I've just watched, PS5 seems to beat out the XSX in EVERY category except in the 120FPS mode, it has a weird portion of dips down to the 80's but only for that first part of the first track you play, the next one was a solid 120FPS while maintaining higher graphical fidelity.

Hopefully the XSX will get some sort of patch here or something, because it's really not looking too good for Microsoft when they spent so long advertising the XSX as the most powerful console, yet every head to head Digital Foundry have done has shown the PS5 comes out on top... gotta' say it's quite baffling, but it's still early days in the gen, just look how it went for PS3/360, lol.

On another note, the game really does look good and fun, and it was almost like watching a Driveclub video... then I remembered that the majority of the staff from Evolution moved to Codemasters anyway, so that's probably why. I've only ever played one Dirt game before, got it free with a graphics card some time ago, but I'm actually considering buying this once I finally get a PS5.

I wouldnt even give it to the XSX on the 120hz mode.
The sacrifices it has to image quality, even if theres a track where it runs better on, for a little while.... its not worth the trade off.

Basically all 3 modes run better on PS5 imo, going from this video.

Considering it only happens in one track for a short time that is much more likely to be a bug than everything they think is a bug in this game or AC when talking about Xbox version being subpar.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network

Hehe before we got any XSX vs PS5 comparisons I was expecting XSX to have a slight resolution advantage and PS5 a slight FPS advantage. This based on that PS5 has superior API and higher gpu clocks. But seems PS5 is so far almost winning everywhere except in DMC5.

But want I wanna see is how the PS5 gpu compares to PC, its gaming performance should be around 29% above Radeon 5700XT.



6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Geeez, the devs seem to be didn't have time to study the new Xbox SDK tools well.

Edit: This place is turning into a meme thread, so... *eats some fried chicken*

Last edited by QUAKECore89 - on 21 November 2020

Steam ID: Quakecore89 / GOG: AMDFX89 / Xbox Live Tag: QUAKEcore89 / NS: SW-7937-5976-6855

Current PC: (Ryzen 5 5600X(placeholder)/32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM/RTX 3060(placeholder)/Crucial 250GB SATA M.2+Corsair 1TB NVMe)

Mark Cerny is a god.



The X gets the S version with a bit of sugar applied. What did people think was going to happen?



Nate4Drake said:
JRPGfan said:
Otter said:
JRPGfan said:
jenpol said:

Wow, at 10 to 12 min the xbox sX version is missing a lot of foliage and the cars assets are low poly. Why?

They do that to reach 120fps on the XSX.
They couldnt do it, with the same image quality as the PS5, so they lowered settings, to get FPS up.

Thats why cars look like this in that mode:

Did you read that somewhere? DF also outright said they think its either a bug or a mistake, its not realistic to assume that this is representative of the power difference between the X and PS5. It seems like Series X is running the profile of a another Xbox System in terms of details, potentially the S but maybe even One X. All just speculation but nothing we've seen on paper would warrant this degree of difference between the platforms

DF downplayed everything (they have a slight xbox bias, but have enough integratity to atleast not misslead).
Also supposedly they called to confirm findings, before releaseing the video (they mention this in the video).
If they where unsure, they should have asked them.

Why is DF "speculateing" about it being a bug or mistake of somesort? When they apparently talked to the devs, who confirmed what they found is how the game is runnings.

We dont know why the game runs like this on the xbox version, and DF apparently didnt bother asking (great journalism).
We cant rule out, that the devs made trade offs, to get it running better on the XSX (at the cost of image quality).

Why would they do that? is it prepresentative of the power differnce?
No, but again, maybe this is because of the tools. Maybe with their toolkit issues, they had to go this route to get it running smoothly at 120fps.


Also DF didnt mention anything about the Dual Sense.
The haptic feedback ect, is supposed to be decent for this game (apparently devs took time to redo it).

The PS5 Version is vastly superior(visuals, performance, Dualsense features) and sincerely I got a bit disgusted by Digital Foundry; I have unsubscribed 5 minutes ago, they are not serious people.

Also at one point in the video (20mins something into it) he says he believes it a deliberate choice, to run lower settings for smoother framerate, and it pays off. Saying the PS5 is struggleing to hit the 120fps target (its in the mid 90's on a certain track)

"... and this is a exsample of a.... mode that runs significantly better on xbox in this, and this is why I mentioned before, that maybe the slightly lowered details on that version, actually pays off in terms of mentaining fluidity"  - DF quote (19mins-20mins into it)


So which is it? is it a bug/mistake?
or a purposefully choice, so it mentains 120fps on all tracks, and doesnt have one were at a part it drops below that?
Cuz it sounds like they say 2 differnt things (about the same matter, at differnt times in the video).

Random_Matt said:
The X gets the S version with a bit of sugar applied. What did people think was going to happen?

The Series S is something else.... thats not being fair to the Xbox Series X.
It sacifices alot more (the S), in basically every mode.

Hell in the 120fps mode, it runs down too 560p.