By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry - Dirt 5

sales2099 said:

It is what it is, but at least the XSX ain’t no Cell processor. Just hope it’s sooner rather then later.

"It is what it is"....Amazing breakdown. I said the same thing a few days ago when I took a sloppy, shit-shotgun crap right after taking a shower. It was everywhere....But Whatrugondu? No amount of spot cleaning was going to remedy that situation to my satisfaction. Shower again. Because it is what it is. That's a more appropriate use of that particular idiom.

And again. travelling back two gens to take a jab at PS in a post for....REASONS? Like this one.

-"And Hiku, fair enough. We just heard that Xbox gave out their full dev kit suite as late as June of this year. So if I must wait to gloat, then so be it. Ugh...feel like a PS3 fan saying “just wait” with teh Cell to kick in. I’ve become everything I hate lol.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9246101

So, you're trying to draw people into arguments about the Cell, in threads dedicated to the PS5 and XBSX? Jesus tapdancing Christ.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:

The sooner devs get used to the new GameCore dev tools and SDK for Xbox Series, the better. Codemasters was one of the devs who implied that they got Xbox Series dev kits very late as I recall.

I have sent you two or three times the links... Dirt 5 dev said the tools were in similar state for both consoles

Even if they claimed that, it seems highly doubtful based on their results here. There is nothing in the specs that suggests that the gap in performance on a multiplat should be in favor of the PS5, the latest stats have the Series X beating the PS5 in just about every on-paper metric, CPU speed, RAM speed, bus width, pixels per second, texels per second, triangles per second, rays per second. The only thing that can explain a performance gap like we're seeing on these launch games is simply bad optimization on Series X, and the best explanation for poor optimization, on games like AC and Dirt 5, which Microsoft had the marketing rights on, is that dev kits and dev tools released too late for developers to optimize properly ahead of release.

We literally had articles and rumors posted all over the Internets earlier this year, many times by Sony fans themselves, about how PS5 was easier to develop for because the tools were further along than Xbox. Now some of those same people want to say the tools are not an issue, even while posting comparison videos where the people in the videos claim the tools are a problem. In the same video they use as evidence for PS5 vs XSX power, the people in the video say you should never take anything like that out of launch title comparisons. Yikes. 

John has always been Pro MS, cannot say I really care. His problem is he cannot help the poor choice of language he uses every now and then. Doesn't bother me to be honest, I simply buy the systems where I'll enjoy gaming more.

DonFerrari said:
shikamaru317 said:

The sooner devs get used to the new GameCore dev tools and SDK for Xbox Series, the better. Codemasters was one of the devs who implied that they got Xbox Series dev kits very late as I recall.

I have sent you two or three times the links... Dirt 5 dev said the tools were in similar state for both consoles

Why bother?.  Dirt developers stated otherwise even when some youtuber was pushing for the tools narrative but they still want to believe it is due to late SDK and tools.  At the end of the day it is MS fault for pushing for the power narrative in their marketing.

Random_Matt said:
John has always been Pro MS, cannot say I really care. His problem is he cannot help the poor choice of language he uses every now and then. Doesn't bother me to be honest, I simply buy the systems where I'll enjoy gaming more.

Please, he is accused by several Xbox fans to be a Sony fanboy, twitter is full of them. And there is no poor choice of words, he's too tired to try to say things that won't hurt the very little heart of both platform holders. So yeah "oh this version is less detailed, but maybe it's a bug, who knows ?" to not being seen as a Sony fanboy turns him into a MS fanboy.

I wasn't expecting to see "bias of DF" here, they proved several times that they aren't consol fanboys, just PC players who try to do their job.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Please, he is accused by several Xbox fans to be a Sony fanboy, twitter is full of them. And there is no poor choice of words, he's too tired to try to say things that won't hurt the very little heart of both platform holders. So yeah "oh this version is less detailed, but maybe it's a bug, who knows ?" to not being seen as a Sony fanboy turns him into a MS fanboy.

I wasn't expecting to see "bias of DF" here, they proved several times that they aren't consol fanboys, just PC players who try to do their job.

100% this.

DF needs to hurry up and spit out the rest of the comparisons.

JRPGfan said:

The Series S is something else.... thats not being fair to the Xbox Series X.
It sacifices alot more (the S), in basically every mode.

Hell in the 120fps mode, it runs down too 560p.

No, you must be mistaken. The S is a 1440p system. MS told me so.

@ OP

Chalk up another W for PS5. Cerny is a mad genius.

SKMBlake said:
Random_Matt said:

They’ve done what, six comparisons? And five were “clear wins” for PS5? Or seven and six wins? What was the game XSX “won”? I don’t know. But hey maybe if it gets to be nine out of ten then we’ll see the silly biased conspiracy theory go away. It’s all over GAF lol. 

But judging from this thread I guess it will just switch to “well they aren’t negative ENOUGH about Xbox!!” Can’t please some people. 

The Series X has more powerful benchmarks but Mark Cerny was adamant about eliminating bottlenecks when designing the PS5. I wonder if the I/O, higher clocks, dedicated DMA controller, dedicated decompression chip, etc, help offload the workload of the GPU/CPU, and in turn gives the PS5 an edge when it comes to multiplatform games or even optimization.

Although its hilarious in hindsight after the FUD that was being peddled by MS shills like Tom Warren and even outlets like Windows Central back in March/April. We're definitely not getting that 20% difference in multiplatform games like some claimed/wanted. Even with the PS5 winning all these early, head to head comparisons, the advantages across the board are minor.

Thankfully, Sony already has a couple of games that showcase the SSD and Dualsense controller.