By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ads on VGCHARTZ

Is the advertising on VGChartz too much?

Yes 31 79.49%

No 2 5.13%

Don't care as I'm an entitled fuck 6 15.38%

Total:39

Just pay $20 a year (or whatever it is) to be a supporter. The site has to make money somehow.

Around the Network

The mobile version is insanely annoying, the ads cover up functions and text and screw up the formatting. I don't use it on mobile at all anymore.

VAMatt said:
Just pay $20 a year (or whatever it is) to be a supporter. The site has to make money somehow.

Actually I am perfectly fine with the site making money and I am fine with them showing ads.  On that note, one of the big problems is when ads become intrusive to viewers of the site.  The ad that use to pop up at the bottom right hand corner of the site nearly made me stop coming because it would get in the way of scrolling content or obscure a good deal of real-estate on the site.  Then there was an ad that would automatically scroll you to the ad when you are trying to read in the forums or add a comment to a post.  Those type of ads can kill a site because they are very intrusive to the experience.

Now this doesn't happen here but have on other sites like ads that automatically play sound when you go to the site.  When you are at work this is a big no no.  There always needs to be a balance between making money and user experience.  If your money making plans make the user experience bad, then eventually your userbase will leave.

This site is the reason I started using adblock. I don't recall what the exact issue was, but at some point a new type of ad started showing up which made the site pretty much unusable.

This site is worst that the COVID pandemic. The ads are so in your face that it makes the site unusable. Sole reason I installed adblocker on my pc, never have I ever used one in my life till VGChartz made me install one

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

$18 - $70 / year depending on the level.

Compared to what I pay for systems and games the $18/year is not much.

okr said:
Don't care, I'm a supporter.

To be more specific: As supporter I don‘t pay ioi who is responsible for the ad situation in the first place and really never cared about the VGC community. Supporters‘ money goes to people who now run this site.

okr said:
okr said:
Don't care, I'm a supporter.

To be more specific: As supporter I don‘t pay ioi who is responsible for the ad situation in the first place and really never cared about the VGC community. Supporters‘ money goes to people who now run this site.

Is it true that 100% of the money (minus fees) goes to the people that actually do the work?

At least I think so.

okr said:
At least I think so.

yes, IOI doesn't get a penny from that

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.