By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

Time for more hints:

41) Not a place to be a hero.
Hint 2: Or to rephrase it: this ain't no place for no hero.

40) Already guessed - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

39) Tomatoes are an important plotpoint in this JRPG. For some reason.

38) Not as solid as other games in the franchise, probably since it comes from one of the softer metals

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Time for more hints:

38) Not as solid as other games in the franchise, probably since it comes from one of the softer metals

My initial thought was one of the MGS games that doesn't feature Solid Snake, but that's actually most of them...

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

41) Ratchet & Clank (2016)

I love this franchise, but it really did spend a long time in the woods with bizarre tower defence games, co-op adventures, downloadable minigames and various other little bits of timewasting. Fortunately, seven years after A Crack in Time, Insomniac managed to get around to making another main series game and reminding me why I enjoy this series so much. I never actually played the original (my first was R&C3) so I got to come into this not hugely familiar with the story other than what was revealed by hints in later games. This game has everything you want from R&C - varied planets, fun and exciting weapons and great rapport between the characters. The PS4's hardware just helps it run that little bit more smoothly and look even better than it always did.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Skies of Arcadia Legends (GameCube)

The improved version of the Dreamcast classic. One of only two traditional JRPGs in my entire top 50. This one trumped all of the Final Fantasy, Grandia, Xenogears, Lost Odysseys, etc for a few reasons but more than anything, it was just charming. I loved everything about this game and building the crew of my pirate ship was just awesome.

No guesses for these yet, so here's a second hint for both.

-The immortal main character has no memory of his past life

-The only reason I ever wanted to own a 360

-The 12th game in the series, the 7th game in the sub-series within the series, and the 2nd game in its own story arc within the sub-series

-Overall, there are 4 games part of this particular story arc, the last of which was released in the west just last month

Around the Network
Darashiva said:

-The 12th game in the series, the 7th game in the sub-series within the series, and the 2nd game in its own story arc within the sub-series

-Overall, there are 4 games part of this particular story arc, the last of which was released in the west just last month

Sounds like a perplexing web of a series.

So, Trails of Cold Steel II?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Darashiva said:

Sounds like a perplexing web of a series.

So, Trails of Cold Steel II?

Correct. And yes it is. The Trails series alone runs nine games long, two of which have yet to be released in the west. The annoying part is that those two games are set between the Trails in the Sky trilogy and the Trails of Cold Steel games, so there's this silly gap in the story of the games that you kinda need to piece together from the later games.

Darashiva said:

I mentioned your #40 in my last post! 

d21lewis said:
Darashiva said:

I mentioned your #40 in my last post! 

Indeed you did. So that's all of them guessed so far.

mZuzek said:

Okay, guess people didn't care about the trial and error process anymore. Hint time.

#41 - This sequel introduced a co-op mode that was the very definition of giving a controller to your younger sibling just so they can feel like they're doing something.
Hint 2 - It's a platformer and it's not Super Mario Galaxy 2, or LittleBigPlanet 2, or DKC2.
Hint 3 - The character used by player 2 would become the first in a very long line of sidekicks in this convoluted franchise.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2?

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Runa216 said:

41 - One of the side quests has you learning a dude is in love with his horse and probably much more.

Red Dead Redemption?

Correct! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android