By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 11th Annual Greatest Games Event - The Discussion Thread

mZuzek said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Once again, thank you for getting me to play this. It really is the best Metroidvania game ever made.

mZuzek said:

*ori and the will of the wisps*

o.0??? Ranked above Hollow Knight? Yeah... the Ori games are getting moved way closer to the front of my backlog. Way, way closer.

Don't get the wrong idea here. Hollow Knight is the best Metroidvania for sure. You shouldn't expect Ori to be better than Hollow Knight, because they aren't much alike. The Ori games aren't very good at being Metroidvanias, they never leave interesting stuff behind for you to find when backtracking, and their maps aren't interconnected in the ways other maps in the genre are.

The Ori games are technically Metroidvanias, but they're a lot more focused on the platforming, each area you visit feels a lot like its own individual level, it's a very curated experience. They're also a lot shorter than Hollow Knight.

Link_Nines.XBC said:

@mZuzek I changed the position of Okami from #38 to #35 in my list, will this change still count?

If you've updated your post on the Official Thread, yeah. Also, glad to see Okami getting more points!

Nah, you made it perfectly clear in your write-up that they were not pure metroidvanias. I'm a fan of multiple genres of games, and after how amazing Hollow Knight was, I'm going to jump at anything you rank above it. Whether it's a racer, or a collectathon platformer or whatever. :P

Around the Network

28. BlazBlue Calamity Trigger PS3

Every character in this game has a unique ability that is activated by pushing the special move button. The special move button works similair to a kick or punch button. Pushing any one of four directions plus the special move button will result in one of four different attacks. Sometimes more if there are air variants of moves. This opens the game up to a lot of creativity not seen in other fighting games. This is because in other fighting games you would need a unique input like quarter circle plus punch for each special move. But there are only so many of these inputs you can put into a game before special moves start firing off unintentionally. But on top of having a special move button there's also a bunch of these inputs as well. This let's the game have about double the special moves per character as any other fighting game. Also every fighter has their own unique power to use. The grappler uses magnets to pull enemies closer. The swordsman stocks power and then slashes away with devastating cuts. The catgirl bounces around the screen like a madman. The combos are easy to pull off, but the game is still highly technical, thanks to a shielding system. I never quite felt like the combos were so oppressive in this game that you were dead after three good combos. The animations are fantastic. Just look up Rachel's animations on Youtube. IMO this is the best of the Blazblue series, and other games in this series suffer from feature creep. In subsequent titles combos become too hard to pull off, the roster is too big, and the animations suffer. The sequels took a lot of good characters and completely changed how they work, while adding in other characters that are just bad copies of already existing characters. 

27. Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix Xbox 360

Modern fighters have serious problems. Combos are too hard to pull off requiring plank time button presses. Combos often deal too much damage reducing each round down to three bouts of "who hit who first?". Combos often can't be stopped once they're started. SFII has none of that nonsense. You have an opportunity to block nearly every move that comes your way and counterattack. This means that winning a match of SFII involves outthinking your opponent on more than just three occasions. SSFIITHDR is the definitive version of the game. It has been balanced for decades and it shows. 

26. Stardew Valley Switch

I never played the Harvest Moon series, but I’ve read a lot of reviews of it. Why? Because I was waiting. Biding my time. Looking for that once in a lifetime Harvest Moon game that would be the one to take the series from good to fantastic. Well, that game is Stardew Valley. From what I understand it just takes all the good ideas from every Harvest Moon, and Rune Factory game, while dropping a lot of the tedium and grinding. It also seems to borrow heavily form Animal Crossing. Stardew Valley is a game about farming, but it is also a game about collecting, and fishing, and mining, and adventuring in said mines (yes, baddies show up in the mines). The farming aspect is all about buying seeds, and then planting them so you can make money, come harvest time. Why do you want to make money? So, you can go get a wife, a bigger house, and afford some sprinklers to take care of your crops. That way you’ll have more time for some relaxing fishing. And of course, you’ll need to go adventuring in the mines if you want to quickly get enough ore to craft better farm equipment. Otherwise your character will tire out, using all that old rusty farm equipment before the day is even halfway over. While you’re in the mines, you’ll encounter enemies that you need to kill with a word, slingshot, and bombs. Eventually those enemies become too hard to kill, so you need to upgrade that gear as well with a combination of ore, and money made from farming. Of course, while you’re doing all these things the days pass by in ten to twenty-minute intervals. This means you only have so much time per day. And as the days pass so do the seasons. This game just keeps getting updated by the sole developer that made it. Version 1.5 just dropped on PC a week ago, and apparently it adds a ton of new things, like a volcano dungeon, and resort! The people living in the sleepy little town you inhabit can all be befriended and talked to just like Animal Crossing games. There’s an arcade like Animal Crossing. And a museum like Animal Crossing. Did I mention this game is like Animal Crossing? As a matter of fact this game is the reason why Animal Crossing no longer shows up on this list. Stardew Valley lays all of the flaws of Animal Crossing to bear. Anyway, just get it. 100 hours for $10 is a steal.

Okay only 25 more to go. I'm gonna take a break and get back to it tomorrow. This is taking way longer than I thought.

TruckOSaurus said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I let this thread get away from me. Currently reading everybody's replies from the last 30 days. I'll be dumping almost my entire list piece by piece on here tomorrow. That'll be a ton of writing, but it needs to be done. :P I NEVER skip this thread, and I NEVER WILL!

Why the heck haven't I played this? Oh wait, it's not on Switch! Adding to my Steam Wishlist.

Child of Light is most definitely on Switch. 

Lol I forgot I bought it last year. :P Gotta get around to playing it then.

Figured I'd make a short list of honorable mentions here after the finish line. These are the games that would have made my list in the alternative universe where 50 is a slightly bigger number.

• System Shock 2
  • Deus Ex
  • The Talos Principle
  • StarCraft
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Final Fantasy IX & X
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Golden Sun: The Lost Age
  • The Witcher 1 & 2
  • Dragon Quest XI

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
mZuzek said:

Guessed by @drbunnig

You know, I haven't played lots of open-world games. I've been away from AAA gaming over the past decade, and barely touched any of these mainstream games, so I don't really understand where the genre's gone to. Then, this month, I bought a AAA open world game, a certain Cyberpunk 2077, and while it was an experience I wholly enjoyed, it made me really understand just what Breath of the Wild meant to this genre - and how depressing it is that other developers are still, three years later, ignoring the lessons this game taught them.

The first time I opened the map in Cyberpunk 2077, I was met with a ridiculously detailed view of the city, so detailed it was hard to understand, and the whole screen was loaded with icons everywhere, showing me all the places of interest I'd find in the game. The first time I opened the map in Breath of the Wild, all there was to see was an icon signifying where I was, an icon showing my current objective, and a whole lot of nothing. I was visible in the map as this tiny icon in the middle of an enormous unknown, just trying to find my way around.

It's a very stark contrast.

Sure, eventually you do get to the towers which show you what the map looks like, but even then the game never gives you icons or waypoints telling you where to find interesting things - the icons that eventually start to pop up in the map only signify places you've been to. What this means, is that instead of opening the map to follow the pre-determined objectives in order to finish them, you're actively avoiding the markers and instead focusing on the places you know nothing about. You're not deleting icons from the map, you're creating them. It kinda sounds like a small thing, but it really isn't - this is one of the key ways through which Breath of the Wild amplifies its sense of adventure and discovery, whereas other games of this kind usually end up feeling like you're going through a checklist.

When you're met with a loading screen in Breath of the Wild, it shows you how many shrines you've completed and how many korok seeds you've acquired. There are a whopping 120 shrines and 900 korok seeds to collect in the game, which can be really daunting, but... the game knows that, and thus it keeps that information from you. It doesn't want you to know, because it wants you to focus on how many things you've done rather than how many things there are left to do - otherwise, if you completed the first shrine and read "1/120" on the loading screen, you'd immediately feel overwhelmed, like you're expected to now go and do all 120. That's why Breath of the Wild is so great. It doesn't expect you to do anything. It's not trying to get you interested in the game by forcing its content down your throat - instead, it's confident that players will be naturally interested in what it has to offer.

For a genre called "open-world", I find it funny how most of its games have no sense of discovery in them. Like, at all. Getting this aspect right is crucial for a game like this to feel exciting and interesting, and Breath of the Wild knocks it out of the park in this regard. The game also has lots of other qualities to it, and some flaws too, but at its core it's all about allowing the player to do whatever they want to do, without adding any unnecessary distractions, and this is why it's the best open-world game out there.

Top 50 >>

Gah! That's it! I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why BotW had so much charm compared to other open world games. And that's fucking it! They don't reveal the entire map to you. You can't just magically fast travel to some city at the end of the map, like you can in Skyrim or any other open world game. At least not in the start. You have to discover every location yourself, and actually explore the world. It was because Nintendo knew you were going to explore their world that they peppered it with interesting and unique things to discover. I'm playing Cyberpunk right now, and one major flaw of the game is that every back alley, and every drug den looks the same. All the enemies are just casually thrown into an area, and given a note explaining what they are doing there. "Yo Choom, this guy killed my sister, let's get him". "Hey Choom, this guy owes me money, go kill him." "That's it Choom, I'm coming to fuck you up! You stole my drugs!" I mean, I really do like Cyberpunk, but one end of the city looks the same as any other end. I really like how BotW has so many unique areas to explore, and so many off the beaten path things to do.

mZuzek said:

Guessed by @Darashiva

This is for metroidvanias kinda like what Breath of the Wild was for open worlds. The genre here wasn't necessarily lacking in its sense of discovery, even if Hollow Knight gets that aspect far better than other metroidvanias, but the genre certainly was lacking in innovation. It was starting to feel more and more like every metroidvania had to be either a copy of Metroid, a copy of Castlevania, or barely feel like a metroidvania at all (Ori). When Hollow Knight came along it really shattered the notion - it destroyed the status quo, and became the new definitive metroidvania, finally dethroning the two games that named the genre.

It isn't hard to describe how it did this. It has loads of content, way more than any other game of its kind. Its story and world are fascinating, deep, and original. Its gameplay also feels unique within the genre, and the simple mechanics make for a nice slow-paced approach to exploration, while still allowing for some breathtaking boss encounters that can feel very technical. The art direction is simple but incredibly charming and evocative, and the music creates a wonderful, deep, melancholic atmosphere that really enriches the game's world. Throughout all of its aspects, Hollow Knight keeps it simple, but it knows just when to amp things up and take everything one step further every time you begin to feel like something's gonna get stale. As a result, it remains interesting throughout its 40+ hour long play time, something many metroidvanias fail to achieve even with far shorter playthroughs.

I really have nothing negative to say about this one. It's not only a masterpiece in its excellent execution of all its concepts, but also in how it revolutionized its own genre and set a new standard for what people should expect from games like this. Furthermore, it also showed just how successful you can be if you put in the time and effort, single-handedly transforming Team Cherry, a tiny group of nobodies from Australia, into one of the world's most respected (even if still tiny) developers.

Top 50 >>

Once again, thankyou for getting me to play this. It really is the best Metroidvania game ever made.

mZuzek said:

Guessed by @Hynad

Alright, I've done my fair bit of gushing about this one, now it's time to...

...Yeah, continue gushing, of course.

I'm a bit of a sucker for things that get me emotional, something games usually don't do, but damn does Ori succeed at it. Blind Forest was already a deeply emotional experience for me, but Will of the Wisps took it to the next level, as it did with everything. This was one of those games that had me hooked from the first minute, constantly rooting for the good guys, hoping that things would always turn out okay even though knowing that not all would - and everytime something bad happened, the floodgates opened quite fast. It wasn't just the protagonists either, just about every character I met on this wonderful journey, even the most irrelevant ones, even the unnamed ones, had me rooting for them and wishing them well. Everything about this game resonated with me on a level not many, if any, games do. The way it toyed with my feelings at every turn was quite something, and how it made me cry at the end was something I don't think I'd experienced since watching a certain movie in cinemas some three and a half a years ago.

Of course, even if it's so impactful, the story in Ori and the Will of the Wisps is, like its predecessor, kept very minimalistic and simple. It's told through few, short, and very poignant cutscenes, which make up a small portion of the amount of time you spend, you know, actually playing the game.

Thankfully, the game is nothing short of incredible. Ori always felt great to control, with fast-paced, fluid movement and lots of awesome platforming abilities. Will of the Wisps makes the most of this, by keeping all of the first game's best abilities, and reworking the less interesting ones into far more intuitive and fun versions. It ditches just about none of them, though some are changed drastically enough to the point of being renamed, but it still manages to do away with the first game's issue of overloading the controller with too many options for too many buttons. Instead, despite having far more options at your disposal here, the game never feels awkward to play.

Another area in which Will of the Wisps greatly improves on its predecessor is in its level design. Blind Forest was a fine enough metroidvania, but its best qualities were always centered around the platforming and never about the exploration. Will of the Wisps knows this and keeps its level design straight to the point with well-defined progression points and self-contained levels which feel more like something out of a Zelda game than a metroidvania. Despite this, it still manages to feel like a more cohesive and believable world than the one from Nibel, thanks in part to a colorful cast of characters that pop up everywhere, but in larger part due to the level design focusing on more natural obstacles - too often in Blind Forest the levels you were traversing felt really game-y, with weird traps and contraptions and deadly lasers that made no sense for the environment they were in, but here in Niwen, everything you're doing feels a lot more cohesive with the world itself, while keeping the challenge factor intact.

Then, of course, there's the combat. This one's quite obvious, really, it was the main focus here. Blind Forest's combat was just a bonus thing, something that usually felt inconsequential to the gameplay, because the developers knew the platforming was the best thing about the game - Will of the Wisps reworks the whole combat system, giving Ori lots of new tools and weapons to use in a deep and rewarding combat system that feels like something out of a hack and slash game. Despite this, the platforming remains the game's biggest strength, and the developers know this, so they made this combat system amplify the platforming even more. Swing your sword while in the air and you gain more horizontal distance; swing it upwards, and you gain a little bit of height; hit an enemy while in the air, and you recover your double jump; use your bow in the air and you cancel your aerial momentum. The list goes on and on, and it's only amplified when combining it with awesome mechanics like the Bash, making for a ridiculously awesome platforming experience where it constantly feels like you're just flying through these levels, and whenever enemies show up, they're only an additional opportunity to stay in the air for even longer. And that's not even getting into the boss fights, which, while not all amazing, can reach breathtaking heights - whenever I make my "Best bosses of the 2020's decade" thread, I know this game already has two very worthy contenders.

It's all too awesome, really. That's not even getting into the artistic aspect of things, which, well, I think you know how I feel about that one.

The art direction is unreal. Blind Forest already looked gorgeous, but Will of the Wisps is just... well, I don't even know how to describe it. I've never played a game this beautiful, that's something I can say with ease. The world of Nibel is so wonderful, and so detailed. Every area, every background, every character, everything pops out in a way that never feels too overdone and always just right. The use of color here is so good it made me feel like I was seeing new colors, every area sporting a combination of two or three tones that fit so perfectly with each other. When you get down to the technological side of it, seeing the insane work that went into lighting each individual asset in the game from different angles, drawing the whole game's world without copy-pasting anything, it's... I've no words for it, it's crazy.

And the music is something I've talked about plenty too, but in recent weeks I've come to understand that this isn't just one of the greatest video game soundtracks, it is the soundtrack, my absolute favorite out of all of them. All that emotion I was talking about earlier, I feel like the music is at least 50% of the reason why this game hits so hard for me. The orchestral score feels so profound and grand, it feels like the music is everywhere, even if you're listening to it in a crappy setup or small earbuds or whatever. It's a feeling I really don't know how to describe, no music's ever sounded like this to me. From the wondrous main theme, to the soothing atmospheres of Inkwater Marsh, to the mysterious tones of Kwolok's Hollow, to the epic escape and boss themes, to the deeply emotional ending (beware of spoilers here!), the music is always phenomenal - it doesn't just match the tone, it sets it. And while all of it sounds original and unique, there is one song in particular that I, as musician myself, feel is a massive achievement in music making: Shadows of Mouldwood. This track sounds like nothing I've ever heard before, not just in its production and mixing, but also in its composition. The way those strings sound, how they ascend and descend in volume and pitch, never quite keeping it in unison but never quite forming a predictable harmony, always unsettling in just the right amount... and how they then mix up with the moody piano melodies, and occasionally more percussive sounds... It's music unlike anything else that's been done, really, it's a genius track that really showcases the very best of Gareth Coker, and probably sets a new very best for him too.

It's hard to put my feelings on this game into words, which is probably why I've ended up using so many of them . This is a real work of art, a real masterpiece, a wonderful coming-of-age story with poignant moments of joy, dread, anger, and responsibility. Its themes resonate so strongly, and are so perfectly told through its wonderful art, wonderful music, and wonderful gameplay. I did have my doubts for a while with its placing on this list, and at points it felt like a toss-up with Hollow Knight and Breath of the Wild (@Platina knows), but once deciding on this ranking, it felt absolutely right, and it still does. Ori and the Will of the Wisps is just so special. It's an experience I'll never forget.

Welcome to the top 5, you lovely little spirit, long may you stay.

Top 50 >>

o.0??? Ranked above Hollow Knight? Yeah... the Ori games are getting moved way closer to the front of my backlog. Way, way closer.

I think Ori 2 beat hollow Knight on my list, too. They don't have those epic boss fights that give you the amazing sense of satisfaction like Hollow Knight but the ori games are just such a joy to explore. Will of the Wisps is the last game to make me cry.

Trying so hard to get my daughter to play either of them but she won't until she finishes hollow Knight. It's been months! To her credit, she's discovered things in Hollow Knight that even I haven't found.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 02 January 2021

I didn't have time to participate in the discussion and game guessing this year, but I want to let you all know that Breath of the Wild is still the best game.

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2, PS3, PS4)

Change YOY: =

There are fair number of games I've bought more than once over the years, whether to just make playing them easier and more accessible I've acquired second copies of games like Hollow Knight, Final Fantasy IX and many others, but the only game I've ever bought on three separate occasions and  systems is Shadow of the Colossus. There's just no other game quite like it, whether you talk about its style, tone, atmosphere, story, or gameplay, every single aspect really feels all its own.

Shadow of the Colossus is a masterpiece, plain and simple. The minimal and subtle storytelling is deceptively powerful, as the changes that take place slowly creep up on the player until finally hitting them hard near the end of the game, the feeling of solitude and isolation throughout the game is palpable and genuinely impeccable, something no other game I've ever played has managed to achieve. Then there's the absolutely masterful soundtrack composed by Kow Otani, one of the all-time greatest video games scores. Shadow of the Colossus isn't a game that I go back to play very often, but every single time I do, I find myself loving it more than I did before, as it feels like I always experience something new and profound in the beautifully desolate and quiet world of the game.

25. God of War PS4

I thought the original God of War was good, but not that impressive when set next to the likes of Ninja Gaiden, or DMC3. It was really just button mashing followed by quicktime events. I didn't really get into the series until God of War 4 on the PS4. They mostly ditched the Blades of Chaos in favor of a much more fun to use axe. What I really like about God of War is that it's a semi-open world, that uses almost every square foot to its advantage. This means that secrets, treasures, bosses, and quests are all just right around the next corner. This is a huge improvement over most open world games, where everything is spread out so far. The world of God of War is one massive handcrafted level. Every nook and cranny was purposefully designed by someone. This is in stark contrast to open world games where everything has kind of been rubber stamped into the game. Anyway, what I'm trying to say here is that I appreciate a game where they didn't just lazily slap a bunch of enemies and puzzles into several spots. They also didn't go the route of a linear game like so many other single player games do. They struck a really damned good balance between the two. The addition of Nordic folklore brings a breath of fresh air to the story. Those little boat rides where Mimir tells a story and then has the sense to stop the story and restart later if you get off the boat are just genius. Just learning about the world through someone telling a story as you're naturally traveling beats the pants off of reading a dusty old item description in the menu system. The combat was completely overhauled from the last few games and it really shows. The combat overhaul really facilitates the RPG elements of building Kratos up to your specific liking, and then equipping him with like minded gear. It means that you can go through and play the game multiple times with multiple playstyles. Finally, I really liked the story of Kratos trying to hide his true nature from his son. The reveal at the very end of the game was great, and leaves a ton of interesting potential for the sequel. I can't wait!

24. The Last of Us PS3

The Last of Us was the game where Naughty Dog took all the mechanics they honed making the Uncharted series, and set it in a dark, and unsettling world. You have to climb, sneak, punch, craft, and shoot your way through a Zombie infected world. The game starts you off playing as Sarah, a twelve year old girl on the night of a Zombie outbreak. About an hour into the game Sarah tragically dies. This scene sets the stage for 20 years later when Sarah's old grizzled father is tasked with smuggling an outbreak immune girl (Ellie) to a mercenary group that promises to make a Zombie cure from her blood. Joel and Ellie spend months traveling through an America shattered by a Zombie Apocalypse. What really makes this game amazing is how Ellie is forced to grow up fast in such a dangerous world. There are bandits, and cannibals roaming around post-apocalyptic America and a 13 year old girl must either cut her childhood short or die. Joel on the other hand plays a sort of father figure. He can't help but see his lost daughter in Ellie. At the end of the game Joel has to make a horrible choice that I won't spoil here. The Last of Us will remain one of the all time great, for a very long time due to the story alone.

23. Super Mario World SNES

I grew up with a Sega Genesis. My neighbors had a SNES though, so I knew that Super Mario World was bigger than all four Sonic games combined. Super Mario World is still impressive to look at to this day, thanks to beautiful pixel art, and several 2D effects that were new in 1990. What really sets this apart from SMB3 is that Yoshi is such a blast to use! Doing everything in this game will easily take 20 hours. That's pretty good for a 29 year old platformer! Analogue Inc.'s Super NT is due for a restock in the next few days. That means I'll finally get to replay this in 1080p, with unfiltered sound, NATIVELY!

22. Pokemon Silver/Gold

Oldschool JRPGs are great. They have you run around a world with random battles and maybe 5 to 12 playable characters. Poke'mon came along and blew that idea out of the water by giving your 151 playable characters. And then they did it all again by adding even more in Gold/Silver. I try to keep this list limited to one game per series. Anything with multiple games in the series on this list is going to be something truly special. The Poke'mon games have had a slow yet steady decline ever since Black/White 2. And they kind of declined from Silver/Gold to Ruby/Saphire, and even more with Diamond/Pearl. It's been a rollercoaster ride for the series rising and dropping in quality over the years. I really do think that Sword/Shield represents such a massive drop in quality that the series will never recover its former greatness. What I really like about Gold/Silver is that the character designs are still fresh and interesting. Yes, Black/White added some cool creatures, and so did X/Y.  Black/White had a bunch of useless duds floating around with it's genius Poke'mon. Sure we got Haxorus but we also got a boring pigeon, and a bag of trash from Black/White. X/Y added almost nothing but pure awesome Poke'mon but only added about 50 to 75 new creatures. It really was Gens I and II that added the most interesting and cool looking Poke'mon in my eyes. Silver/Gold added about 100 new creatures, most of which I loved. Silver/Gold has the most post game content out of all the Poke'mon games I've played. It allows you to go back to the Gen I region after beating the main game, and fight all the original game's gym leaders. This effectively doubles the length of the single player content. I'm also a firm believer that Poke'mon should have stayed 2D. That artstyle just suits the game better than the half-assed animations from Sword/Shield. Silver/Gold already looked pretty good, then along came the DS remakes, which really cemented them as the best Poke'mon games.

21. Valkryia Chronicles PS3

I'm always torn between this one and the 4th one. Anyway I love this game for its unique take on strategy. The game is a mix of turn based, and RTS. You take turns controlling the characters in your army, but when you take control of them you are in a real time style 3rd person shooter game. It's really hard to explain, but really damned unique. You can set up your army in a defensive position and watch as they mow down enemies trying to move in on you. You have a tank to control and customize. There are all sorts of different classes such as Infantry, Artillery, Lancer, Sniper, etc. Each character in your army has their own backstory and unique passive abilities. Certain characters will work better with others, meaning you can team up two or three characters to make them attack, whenever their friends attack. This leads to the ability to form Squads and double or triple your firepower. Valkyria Chronicles has an excellent story happening in an Anime version of Europe, during an Anime version of WWII. The game looks gorgeous thanks to it's watercolor artstyle. This was handsdown one of the best exclusives on the PS3, and one of the best looking games of the entire generation. Thankfully, it's been ported to damned near everything, so playing it today isn't that hard.

20. Ocarina of Time N64

This is still the best Zelda game pre-BotW. It has the most dungeons and the 2nd best exploration out of all the games that came after it, and before BotW. Majora's Mask had fantastic exploration, but only four dungeons. Windwaker was only six dungeons. Twilight Princess had eight dungeons, but lacked as much exploration. Skyward Sword has the least amount of exploration out of all the Zeldas, but many dungeons. When this released it was glorious. In 1998 we hadn't seen a 3D world that was so large, and well put together. Sure, maybe there's a few of the first MMO's that might have competed with it in terms of the quality and size of the game world. But those games have aged terribly, while OoT is still a joy to play. The basic Zelda formula of get a new item, use said item to beat dungeon or explore new areas, to get a new item still holds up extremely well. So does the formula of peppering a game with all sorts of secrets to freely discover on your own. Ocarina of Time has dropped 12 spots on my list the past few years, mainly because the combat is simple compared to what modern games do. The rest holds up phenomenally! In fact it didn't even drop at all in 2020!

19. Dragon Quest VIII PS2

This is the best purely traditional JRPG on this list outside of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI Advance, and a new addition this year. By purely traditional, I mean it doesn't do anything vastly different from the standard JRPG formula. It has turn based battles and towns, and a story revolving around the main cast. There are a few other JRPGs with a better place on this list, but those games deviate from the standard formula in one way or another. Dragon Quest VIII has a vast explorable world chock full of hidden secrets off the beaten path. Whether it's finding hidden mini-medals to turn in to a collector, building your own monster team, or trying out a new alchemy combination, there's tons of things to do. The combat is frequent with random battles every three or four steps, but it is also very fast paced. Animations are quick, and the game will go through a battle in 30 seconds or less, that most games would take 2 minutes for. The game has fantastic pacing. Just as you get tired of random battles you come across a new town to explore, and new people to talk to. And then once you need a break from talking to people the game knows just when to get you back to fighting stuff. The British cast does an excellent job of voice acting in this game, and the music is damned good as well. The cell shaded art style holds up well even today, and is one of the best looking games on PS2. This got rereleased on 3DS if you feel like playing it there. I recommend playing it on PS2 though, because of a bigger screen. Did I mention this game can be played almost entirely one handed, thanks to amazingly good button placements? It's not a simple game, yet manages to pull this off quite well. This leaves a free hand for things such as petting fur babies!

18. Resident Evil 4 Gamecube

Welcome! Mr. Kennedy!

This may be a long one. This game did sooooo many things right. This game made heavy use of context sensitive actions dedicated to a single button. This meant that climbing, opening a container, kicking a plagues etc. all worked on the same single button. Other games like Ocarina of time did it earlier but this was one of the first games to take a note from Nintendo's book. Then we have the introduction of quick time events. Except that they weren't lame, or easy. They spiced up boring cutscenes and turned them into thrilling sequences. The Knife fight halfway through the game is tense and memorable, because you're not just a passive spectator anymore. While watching that cutscene you have to stay on your toes for random attacks. The game forces you to stay on your toes, or die, and that leads to feeling the same tension as Leon. The weapon and item storage system is genius. Forcing you to make do with limited space in your cache of items lead to a great survival horror feel. All the weapons are upgradable, leading to multiple ways to play the game. Do you want to pistol snipe people for headshots, or SMG everyone to death? How about using a high powered rifle throughout the entire game? RE4 constantly changes things up on the player, meaning no two encounters are alike. One minute you're holding off a horde of crazed villagers in a little house, and the next minute you're riding down a minecart as villagers take potshots at you (with thrown axes). In most games escort quests suck, but RE4 revolutionized them, by having the escort character be carried away instead of take damage. This is another game that is borderline perfect!

17. Super Mario Odyssey Switch G10 G10 C10 S10 S10 L9 T10 9.8
The beauty of this game is that it's basically a Mario game with 30 different power ups. This means that every five minutes of every level you are doing something a little different, than what you've done before. This helps to keep the game feeling fresh throughout the 20 hour main story. There are only around 13 levels in this game, but they are all massive and bursting with hidden Moons to find. But why am I talking about this, when Dunkmaster 5000 does it so much better? 

16. Super Mario Galaxy Wii

Super Mario Galaxy takes Mario into a whole new plane of existence with the genius gravity mechanic. Jumping around and between planetoids, abusing the different gravities to do different things just felt so fresh and unique at the time. It really did add a critical fourth dimension of play that wasn't seen in the series before. A lot of Wii games had too much waggle for my tastes, but this one was just right. I actually enjoyed the levels where Mario was trapped inside a ball and had to guide it to the finish line of an obstacle course. Using the pointer to grab starbits or tractorbeam Mario into position was easy and intuitive. The bosses are all excellent, and fairly difficult. Even that piranha plant boss at the start of the game could nearly take you out on the first try. Once you beat the game with all stars you get to play again as Luigi, with a higher jump and harder areas. Oh and that final boss battle with Bowser is the best fight these two have ever had. 

15. Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii

What can I say, other than this expanded greatly on the original, while bringing Yoshi back. Everything I said about the first game applies here. Because this is a sequel a lot of the "tutorial" levels are thrown out, and this game just starts off at full blast and never lets up. A lot of people prefer Portal 2 to Portal for this very reason. Oh, and of course both Galaxy games look like a 360 game despite being on the Wii. That's about all I have. Read SMG's entry above for further information.