By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz - Site Upgrade

@TalonMana few things I think could be considered...a heading for the news....like VGC News, a heading for the charts...like The ChartzAnd a heading for the forum, similar to what is there, but bumped up higher to the top so that all three elements are aligned (I didn't realize there was an ad there in the native viewing, more on that further down the post)I can see that VGC is trying to be (and is) many things at once, but I really feel these elements should be introduced, both for cleanness and to give them the props they deserve.I also think that the bottom of the page should finish cleanly...as it is, all three columns end at different points and it doesn't feel well laid out. This can be accomplish with graphics, spacing, font size changes, or whatever works to make the bottom of the page feel finished and intentionalI'm sure it has been mentioned, but the forum scroll doesn't give you the option to select all the forums. It's like the setting is set to advance full forward or full backOh...and full disclosure, I use an AdBlock (which I'm sure makes my opinion moot) but I just unblocked the ads and to my surprise VGC sits inside a giant ad which makes the main page much smaller and which has a scroll bar where I can only see two inches at a time of the page. Scrolling down doesn't give me full control of the page but just a tiny sliver. And for the record, VGC taught me to use an adblocker back in the day because the ads kept giving me viruses and crashing my computer and I needed my VGC fix so bad that I had to learn about those pesky things that are now the bane of all web based enterprises.I did pay for VGC last year at the Silver level, and would be happy to again...so it's not exactly like I'm completely free loading here, just partially.

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
super_etecoon said:
@TalonMana few things I think could be considered...a heading for the news....like VGC News, a heading for the charts...like The ChartzAnd a heading for the forum, similar to what is there, but bumped up higher to the top so that all three elements are aligned (I didn't realize there was an ad there in the native viewing, more on that further down the post)I can see that VGC is trying to be (and is) many things at once, but I really feel these elements should be introduced, both for cleanness and to give them the props they deserve.I also think that the bottom of the page should finish cleanly...as it is, all three columns end at different points and it doesn't feel well laid out. This can be accomplish with graphics, spacing, font size changes, or whatever works to make the bottom of the page feel finished and intentionalI'm sure it has been mentioned, but the forum scroll doesn't give you the option to select all the forums. It's like the setting is set to advance full forward or full backOh...and full disclosure, I use an AdBlock (which I'm sure makes my opinion moot) but I just unblocked the ads and to my surprise VGC sits inside a giant ad which makes the main page much smaller and which has a scroll bar where I can only see two inches at a time of the page. Scrolling down doesn't give me full control of the page but just a tiny sliver. And for the record, VGC taught me to use an adblocker back in the day because the ads kept giving me viruses and crashing my computer and I needed my VGC fix so bad that I had to learn about those pesky things that are now the bane of all web based enterprises.I did pay for VGC last year at the Silver level, and would be happy to again...so it's not exactly like I'm completely free loading here, just partially.

- I understand why you would want a heading above the news - but I really don't think it woulld look all that great. It's why there's a larger header between the Top5 and "rest of news" sections - kind of a header for both

- That entire chart section is going away and getting re-done (wish to GOD we could have had it for this upgrade because it probably would have resolve a lot of push back, but we simply ran out of time) - it'll match the other sections, when done

- They will never be aligned that way along the top because you're obviously viewing with an ad-block. That right column is supposed to have an ad at the top.

- I assure you, those three columns will NEVER end evenly - it's impossible for many reasons (first and foremost are the ads, of course). But this is also what happens with responsive design though. Unless you have dedicated pages for mobile and desktop - you wind up with this type of layout which tries to serve both environments and does an "ok" (but not great) job for each. Look at the Hot Topics box itself - because of the length of topics, sometimes it needs two lines - other times, it needs four lines. If I spaced it out so they all accomodated the potential "4-line" post, I would get complaints about too much whitespace - if I were to truncate the topic titles so everything fit a "2-line" post, I would get complaints for chopping the titles. And so, we wind up with a section length that's unpredictable and therefore will be hit or miss of lining up like that, at the end. We went through this on the old front page and could never get all three columns to finish the same way - there was ALWAYS whitespace, period.

- Somebody else mentioned the sensitivity of the scroll arrows - I'll be honest, I've never used them once. When I'm on desktop, I'm scrolling that tab list with my mousewheel - when I'm mobile, I'm sliding with my finger. I can (and will) adjust the sensitivity of those arrows, though. I honestly didn't think many people would actually use them.

- Can't do ANYTHING about the ads - this has been discussed ad nauseam. You can kick, yell, scream, and pitch a fit, and I will do the same along side you - and neither one of us will accomplish anything.

Gosh...

The forum wheel doesn't work.  Is that just a me thing?  Hot Topics, Latest Topics, T...something, (Then I click to scroll over), Gaming Forum, Website Forum, OffTopic Forum.  That's what I get to select from.  I don't see any other way to control it from my laptop.

Regarding the ads...I wasn't talking about ads in general, but that the ads cause the frame of VGC to be exactly 3 inches high, and probably six inches wide.  This seems like an odd height to have to view charts, text, pictures, etc.  I've never encountered another website on the internet that caused this to occur. 

I look forward to whatever "redone chart section" looks like, and I'm sure you probably would have wanted it done to your liking before you rolled out this nuts and bolts fix.  I look forward to all the upcoming changes and revisions, especially as we head into another console cycle, that brings new users to the site, to the forums, and to all that VGC has to offer.

TalonMan said:
super_etecoon said:
TalonMan said:
super_etecoon said:

- I understand why you would want a heading above the news - but I really don't think it woulld look all that great. It's why there's a larger header between the Top5 and "rest of news" sections - kind of a header for both

- That entire chart section is going away and getting re-done (wish to GOD we could have had it for this upgrade because it probably would have resolve a lot of push back, but we simply ran out of time) - it'll match the other sections, when done

- They will never be aligned that way along the top because you're obviously viewing with an ad-block. That right column is supposed to have an ad at the top.

- I assure you, those three columns will NEVER end evenly - it's impossible for many reasons (first and foremost are the ads, of course). But this is also what happens with responsive design though. Unless you have dedicated pages for mobile and desktop - you wind up with this type of layout which tries to serve both environments and does an "ok" (but not great) job for each. Look at the Hot Topics box itself - because of the length of topics, sometimes it needs two lines - other times, it needs four lines. If I spaced it out so they all accomodated the potential "4-line" post, I would get complaints about too much whitespace - if I were to truncate the topic titles so everything fit a "2-line" post, I would get complaints for chopping the titles. And so, we wind up with a section length that's unpredictable and therefore will be hit or miss of lining up like that, at the end. We went through this on the old front page and could never get all three columns to finish the same way - there was ALWAYS whitespace, period.

- Somebody else mentioned the sensitivity of the scroll arrows - I'll be honest, I've never used them once. When I'm on desktop, I'm scrolling that tab list with my mousewheel - when I'm mobile, I'm sliding with my finger. I can (and will) adjust the sensitivity of those arrows, though. I honestly didn't think many people would actually use them.

- Can't do ANYTHING about the ads - this has been discussed ad nauseam. You can kick, yell, scream, and pitch a fit, and I will do the same along side you - and neither one of us will accomplish anything.

Gosh...

The forum wheel doesn't work.  Is that just a me thing?  Hot Topics, Latest Topics, T...something, (Then I click to scroll over), Gaming Forum, Website Forum, OffTopic Forum.  That's what I get to select from.  I don't see any other way to control it from my laptop.

Regarding the ads...I wasn't talking about ads in general, but that the ads cause the frame of VGC to be exactly 3 inches high, and probably six inches wide.  This seems like an odd height to have to view charts, text, pictures, etc.  I've never encountered another website on the internet that caused this to occur. 

I look forward to whatever "redone chart section" looks like, and I'm sure you probably would have wanted it done to your liking before you rolled out this nuts and bolts fix.  I look forward to all the upcoming changes and revisions, especially as we head into another console cycle, that brings new users to the site, to the forums, and to all that VGC has to offer.

Your mouse has a scroll wheel and, if you lay the mouse over the Forum Tabs and scroll the wheel, it doesn't scroll the tabs????

I am using a laptop.  No scroll wheel on a laptop.  Just tried my desktop and I see what you mean now.  Guess it's just a limitation of laptops then.  

ok...new item

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before. I'm also not sure if it's just me having this problem.

There are topics in my buddy list that say there are new posts, even though I have clicked on them and the last post was back in October. It doesn't seem to be happening with recent threads.

super_etecoon said:
ok...new itemI'm not sure if this has been mentioned before. I'm also not sure if it's just me having this problem.There are topics in my buddy list that say there are new posts, even though I have clicked on them and the last post was back in October. It doesn't seem to be happening with recent threads.

yes that happens when mods do their SPAM+delete ban

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
TalonMan said:

...which they have been asked NOT to do anymore - shouldn't have been done in the first place, that was a miscommunication.

Is there a way to turn those topics green again? It's not a big deal at all, but seeing them orange knowing they should be green is kind of a slight nuisance.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

TalonMan said:

Honestly - I haven't looked that deeply into the specifics. I do know that the cause is, that "delete" button (unlike almost every other delete option on the website) actually deletes rows from tables instead of "hiding" them (which is the way almost every other delete is handled.

Do you have (or can you get) a sample you can post here so I can research the technical issue behind it?

There are these two topics, for instance.

Clicking on the first topic redirects to the front page, because the thread appears to have 11 posts, but there are only 10. Thus, the link is referencing the first comment in the second page of that thread, but that page doesn't actually exist.

This is the link in the VGChartz Buddy: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243730/capcom-hacked-by-a-3rd-party-group/2/#1

This is the result thrown when searching for that thread: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forum-search.php?query=&topic=capcom+hacked

This is the actual thread: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243730/capcom-hacked-by-a-3rd-party-group/

In the search result, the thread seems to still have 11 posts, just like if the last one was never deleted, and that information is probably the same that passes to the VGChartz Buddy, which shows that there are 11 posts instead of the actual 10.

In the second topic, the real number of posts is 96, but appears as 97, so it links to the right page, but is never marked as read.

Link in VGChartz Buddy: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243649/birthday-determines-the-only-game-system-you-can-play-for-the-rest-of-your-life/10/#7

Search result: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forum-search.php?query=&topic=birthday+determines

I think I had this same issue on one more topic, but then someone posted something on that thread and the issue was fixed automatically, so maybe there's some part of the site that is updated when new posts are created on threads, but not when the existent ones are deleted, I don't know. In any case, it's a minor problem, but I hope this helps.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Sorry if this has already been brought up and addressed, but quick reply still isn't taking into account lines and just squishes paragraphs together into one big fat wall of text, for me anyway.

TalonMan said:
curl-6 said:

Sorry if this has already been brought up and addressed, but quick reply still isn't taking into account lines and just squishes paragraphs together into one big fat wall of text, for me anyway.

I'm aware - it's on the list...

i added PLA being able to ban mods on a list but it got ignored, just another reminder

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Verter said:

I have a suggestion for the front page clutter complaints. But, instead of describing it, I'll try to simulate it. I hope this works. =P

It would be something like this:

Latest stories

Imagine a beautiful image here

Here goes the title of the news article, containing less than 70 characters

Here goes either a little description of the news or its first sentence, containing less than 155 characters.

Here goes the number of comments of the news, the date and/or some other useful pieces of information

Here goes either a little description of the news or its first sentence, containing less than 155 characters.

Here goes the number of comments of the news, the date and/or some other useful pieces of information

Imagine there are a bunch of other news here.

See more

Just want to quote this as I also think this is a good idea to make the front page look less busy.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"