By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry PS5 BC Review & Series X comparison (Surprises inside)

Otter said:
Added some load time comparisons which DF didnt go into

Load times are not correct though.
Nibel got it wrong, or is useing a early sold PS5 without the correct patches/firmware.
Its not running as the PS5 is supposed to at launch.



Around the Network

Odd the XSX has faster load times.

As for better frames, no surprise, when a system ops for Native vs Checkerboarding, better frames are a given. Native is definitely more gorgeous to look at however frames are just as important. Cannot have both on consoles, PC is where its at.



JRPGfan said:
Otter said:

Edit: Since there is BC comparison here, worth noting that Series X games seem to load faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=62&v=VrDghoYLBSw&feature=emb_logo

FFXV loads in ~14 to ~29sec with new firmware (depending on area, and if first or 2nd time loading it) (video proof).
Down from 1m10sec reported by that Nibel guy.

Nibel says MHW takes the PS5 51s.
However in the video with the firmware update (above) it only takes 16sec (video proof there).
2nd load takes 9sec.

Azzanation said:

Odd the XSX has faster load times.

As for better frames, no surprise, when a system ops for Native vs Checkerboarding, better frames are a given. Native is definitely more gorgeous to look at however frames are just as important. Cannot have both on consoles, PC is where its at.

Its because its not useing a firmware update thats needed.

FFXV goes from 1m10sec (reported by nibel) to around 14-29sec (as shown in video, depending on area/first load ect) (with the firmware update).



JRPGfan said:
OP can you remove the false information posted by Nibel please.
Its factually incorrect, because hes useing a early PS5 without any patchs/firmware and not representative of how it will be for people that buy one.

All done, thanks for the info



yvanjean said:
More misleading marketing from Sony.... they want you to believe that everything will have near-instantaneous load times like Godfall and Astro's Playroom.
They skip the load time in UI demo for Destruction Allstars because it did not match their misinformation campaign.

Yes sure, Sony is the one doing the code for Destruction Allstars.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

So as expected, Sony undersold their BC system and MS capitalized on their confusing messaging. "No doWnClockING! No boosT moDe!!!"

In short, XSX BC effective advantages:

1. Higher resolutions for mid-gen patched games.

2. Generally faster loadtimes (which is fairly surprising).

3. Partial BC with OG Xbox and X360.

4. Potentially Auto-HDR and other enhancements.

5. Potentially less bugs and errors?

PS5 BC effective advantages:

1. Larger library of games.

2. Higher resolutions for unpatched games.

3. Generally higher and more stable framerates.

BC hasn't looked so good since the overpriced early PS3!



Kyuu said:

So as expected, Sony undersold their BC system and MS capitalized on their confusing messaging. "No doWnClockING! No boosT moDe!!!"

In short, XSX BC effective advantages:

1. Higher resolutions for mid-gen patched games.

2. Generally faster loadtimes (which is fairly surprising).

3. Partial BC with OG Xbox and X360.

4. Potentially Auto-HDR and other enhancements.

5. Potentially less bugs and errors?

PS5 BC effective advantages:

1. Larger library of games.

2. Higher resolutions for unpatched games.

3. Generally higher and more stable framerates.

BC hasn't looked so good since the overpriced early PS3!

4 and 5.

DF nor any other have talked about any possible automatic gains for PS5 like higher res/fps (and from what we saw it majorly depends on what the devs left on original), but I saw they talking about every game on PS5 being with HDR enabled but for most game that just meaning more brightness (but for Lineman that made all games look better so he didn't turn off), possibly Series have a better auto-HDR. And for 5 we don't reallly know since we didn't see MS talking on it nor reviewers, but also possibly more smooth on Xbox.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said:
JRPGfan said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=62&v=VrDghoYLBSw&feature=emb_logo

FFXV loads in ~14 to ~29sec with new firmware (depending on area, and if first or 2nd time loading it) (video proof).
Down from 1m10sec reported by that Nibel guy.

Nibel says MHW takes the PS5 51s.
However in the video with the firmware update (above) it only takes 16sec (video proof there).
2nd load takes 9sec.

Azzanation said:

Odd the XSX has faster load times.

As for better frames, no surprise, when a system ops for Native vs Checkerboarding, better frames are a given. Native is definitely more gorgeous to look at however frames are just as important. Cannot have both on consoles, PC is where its at.

Its because its not useing a firmware update thats needed.

FFXV goes from 1m10sec (reported by nibel) to around 14-29sec (as shown in video, depending on area/first load ect) (with the firmware update).

I knew there was something amiss. Logic would dictate that the PS5 should load twice as fast in unoptimized games. Hopefully, we'll see more comparisons soon from different sources.



https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/playstation-5-review-digitalfoundry

We all know the PS5 is a larger console.
Now it shows that paid off, it runs cooler, and is less noisy than the Xbox Series X.


Power Consumption:
Power Off (but hooked up) = 1.3W
Rest Mode (Network not in use) = 1.5W
Front End (Idle running) = 47W
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Peak load recorded) = 203W
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Peak, 30fps cap) = 107W
Knack (Peak, unlocked fps, PS5 locks to 60fps) = 135W

Its pretty power effecient.
Compaired to the PS4pro it, its actually useing alot less power often.

"In the here and now, what I find remarkable is how two next generation consoles built from what are effectively the same AMD technologies (though Microsoft claims extra RDNA 2 features) can deliver such a drastically different first impression.

Xbox Series X presents the notion of latent power yet to be unleashed, and is almost conservative in its presentation - both in terms of its cuboid form factor and its UI, which is to all intents and purposes a smoother, slicker, faster version of the Xbox One interface. PlayStation 5 is an altogether different experience - a Buck Rogers physical design with system software that's fast, immediate, beautifully presented, and almost excessively eager to herald the arrival of a new generation of gaming, to the point where you're even given a pack-in game. Yes, Astro's Playroom fully deserves its Eurogamer Essential award, and strategically, it's a Wii Sports-style play from Sony that showcases a brilliant new controller - and it works." - Eurogamer



JRPGfan said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/playstation-5-review-digitalfoundry

We all know the PS5 is a larger console.
Now it shows that paid off, it runs cooler, and is less noisy than the Xbox Series X.


Power Consumption:
Power Off (but hooked up) = 1.3W
Rest Mode (Network not in use) = 1.5W
Front End (Idle running) = 47W
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Peak load recorded) = 203W
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Peak, 30fps cap) = 107W
Knack (Peak, unlocked fps, PS5 locks to 60fps) = 135W

Its pretty power effecient.
Compaired to the PS4pro it, its actually useing alot less power often.

"In the here and now, what I find remarkable is how two next generation consoles built from what are effectively the same AMD technologies (though Microsoft claims extra RDNA 2 features) can deliver such a drastically different first impression.

Xbox Series X presents the notion of latent power yet to be unleashed, and is almost conservative in its presentation - both in terms of its cuboid form factor and its UI, which is to all intents and purposes a smoother, slicker, faster version of the Xbox One interface. PlayStation 5 is an altogether different experience - a Buck Rogers physical design with system software that's fast, immediate, beautifully presented, and almost excessively eager to herald the arrival of a new generation of gaming, to the point where you're even given a pack-in game. Yes, Astro's Playroom fully deserves its Eurogamer Essential award, and strategically, it's a Wii Sports-style play from Sony that showcases a brilliant new controller - and it works." - Eurogamer

It is fantastic to see it running RoTR and Knack with basically drawing only half the power from the Power Supply, and it run just fine.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."