By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Best-Selling Western Games in Japan (500k+ Sales)

Nice to see not one but four Donkey Kong Country games in the top 6. Well deserved, it's an amazing series.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Nice to see not one but four Donkey Kong Country games in the top 6. Well deserved, it's an amazing series.

They are great games that deserve their sales. The only problem for me is that I do consider them "japanese games" even though not made in Japan.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The Top 20 games are now all included.

I know some of you were hoping to see more purely Western games represented, so perhaps you'll be happy to see Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Battlefield, Crash Bandicoot, and Just Dance now being listed.

For those of you who feel that Donkey Kong Country isn't a Western game, I have a question. Is The Last of Us Western? It may have been originally conceived by Westerners, but it is owned by a Japanese publisher. Does it still count?

I'm going to find the rest of the Japanese box art and add the last few games with over half a million sales later. Until then!

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:

The Top 20 games are now all included.

I know some of you were hoping to see more purely Western games represented, so perhaps you'll be happy to see Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Battlefield, Crash Bandicoot, and Just Dance now being listed.

For those of you who feel that Donkey Kong Country isn't a Western game, I have a question. Is The Last of Us Western? It may have been originally conceived by Westerners, but it is owned by a Japanese publisher. Does it still count?

I'm going to find the rest of the Japanese box art and add the last few games with over half a million sales later. Until then!

Yes for me TLOU count as western not only because ND is western but because the type and style of game is very much in line with western developed titles instead of ones developed in Japan, while for me DKC is very much on similar vein of Mario at the time they were made (sure they gone for realism, but the type and philosophy of the game for me if not knowing it was made by Rare I would guess Nintendo).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DKC is Western.
Not only were all 5 main entries developed either in the United Kingdom or the United States, but they're distinctly different in tone and style from Japanese developed platformers of the time like the 2D Marios of the same era. They don't look or feel like Japanese games.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DKC is Western.
Not only were all 5 main entries developed either in the United Kingdom or the United States, but they're distinctly different in tone and style from Japanese developed platformers of the time like the 2D Marios of the same era. They don't look or feel like Japanese games.

Yeah, it's a rebranding and redesign of a universe. DK is a level up on Mario platform's.

DK western is a new DK, is not the same characters 

Agente42 said:
curl-6 said:
DKC is Western.

Yeah, it's a rebranding and redesign of a universe. DK is a level up on Mario platform's.

DK western is a new DK, is not the same characters 

Yeah, plus the look of the DKC games are more influenced by in Rare's case realism and CG animation, and in Retro's case an off-kilter look more reminiscent of Western cartoons with more detail than in the cleaner style of cartoon graphics seen in most Japanese games of a similar type.

David Wise's music has a style very unlike Nintendo's scores for games like Mario, Yoshi, Kirby, etc.

I'm going to probably come back and update this thread in six months or so. My predictions for what'll happen by the end of June:

• Minecraft will be released on PS5 and possibly the XSX, quickly selling another 6 digit figure of copies. This, combined with the continually high sales of the Switch version, means that Minecraft's lead is not going anywhere in the near future.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 will keep on selling well, and will outsell Donkey Kong 64 possibly well before June. It might even become the ninth million-seller on this list by that time.
  • The game most likely to be added to this list is Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. Note that Black Ops 4, the last entry in the sub-series sold especially well, and that Black Ops Cold War will likely benefit from cross-generation sales on both the PS4 and PS5.

Love and tolerate.

Wow. I've never played Minecraft in my life.

They love Donkey Kong!

steve