By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Best-Selling Western Games in Japan (500k+ Sales)

Where do these digital numbers come from?
There's no way Luigi's Mansion 3 only had an 11% digital share. It should be at least at 25%, which would put it's sales at 1mil.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Where do these digital numbers come from?
There's no way Luigi's Mansion 3 only had an 11% digital share. It should be at least at 25%, which would put it's sales at 1mil.

Digital Numbers are mostly estimates from Famitsu. Back when this thread was young in 2020, it looked like Famitsu was taking a temporary hiatus from reporting digital sales estimates. However, it has been over a year, and thery haven't picked it back up. So in most cases, digital numbers are from no later than early 2020.

Love and tolerate.

Endymion said:
Salnax said:

Can you leave a link to the source? I try my best, but clearly miss some things, and would like to be sure that the data is backed up.

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/japan-nintendo-software-and-hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.208/

I'm sorry to ask something more of you, but that website doesn't let me see the second post, which they say includes their sources. May you please at least copy the relevant link?

Thanks in advance. I'll be updating the OP after I can use those sources.

Love and tolerate.

Seems like you have to register in that site to see anything more than the first post.

Minor updates made. Not much to note except that Luigi's Mansion 3 overtook Donkey Kong 64 and The Last of Us overtook Battlefield 4.

Looking forward a bit, I expect that the next big change to the numbers will be when GTA5 gets its PS5/XS versions this March. Even with those systems selling limited amounts in Japan, those versions can do a lot to close the gap between GTA5 and DKC3.

Ghost of Tsushima is under 30k sales short of meeting the 500k threshold. It is still a potential member of this list if it has just a bit of legs for the PS5 version as the PS5 becomes more readily available (or if we get new digital estimates).

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Salnax said:
Endymion said:

https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/japan-nintendo-software-and-hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.208/

I'm sorry to ask something more of you, but that website doesn't let me see the second post, which they say includes their sources. May you please at least copy the relevant link?

Thanks in advance. I'll be updating the OP after I can use those sources.

From that installbase thread.

Luigi's Mansion 3 has just barely overtaken Crash Bandicoot 3. Minecraft and GTA5 have also seen sales increases in recent months.

GTA5 will likely gain a decent chunk of sales upon the release of the PS5 and XS versions in March, though nowhere near the sales of the PS3 and PS4 versions.

Love and tolerate.

Minor update as of May 1st, 2022. Minecraft crossed the 6.5 million mark, GTA5 had an underwhelming PS5 release, and Luigi's Mansion 3 picked up a few more sales.

Love and tolerate.

Luigi's Mansion 3 have sold another 130k in Japan from April 1,2021 to March 31,2022, according to Nintendo's latest financial report:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/220510_6e.pdf#page=17

Last edited by deerox - on 18 May 2022

Luigi's Mansion 3 is at 1.13mil according to Nintendo's IR report.