By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What game made you a Nintendo fan, and what was it about it?

DonFerrari said:
I think Super Mario World on SNES was what made me first like NIntendo, then goofy troopers and DKC.

That was another one that really cemented by love for the brand, the original DKC; it just felt like such a grand adventure through an incredibly rich world.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:
I think Super Mario World on SNES was what made me first like NIntendo, then goofy troopers and DKC.

That was another one that really cemented by love for the brand, the original DKC; it just felt like such a grand adventure through an incredibly rich world.

It was a wonderful game, almost unbelievable that it could be made. I think the next game that made me feel like that was FFVII on PS1

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

It was a wonderful game, almost unbelievable that it could be made. I think the next game that made me feel like that was FFVII on PS1

Yeah there was nothing else like it at the time, it just looked and sounded lightyears better than anything else I'd played. Didn't hurt that the platforming and level design was razor sharp as well.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

We usually don't agree, but this is spot on how I feel.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

For me, it was a few, and I didn't stop at just becoming a fan. It was the Legend of Zelda: LTTP. Something about the way everything "just fit" like it belonged there. The details are important, like how you aren't bound a single tiles, so you slide against rocks instead of hooking and getting stuck. The items and puzzles are also perfect in combination with the available enemy types.

It pushed me into wanting to make games at a very young age, so I learned programming at 12, and started making projects as a hobby. I'm working on a 3D project now. Nothing to say yet. Might end up as freeware / shareware if I can't get it to my standards.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

Around the Network

The year: 1981

Setting: (a small desert oilfield town surrounded by mesquite, tumbleweeds, cowboys and beer)  

I was 6 years old at the time (yes I'm old) and was spending my summers and after school hours in my father's pool hall.  Arcade games were cycled in and out on a monthly basis but he eventually ended up purchasing 2 and just keeping them there, and eventually stopped bringing in new arcade machines.  This is where I first was introduced to video games (Pac-man, Centipede, Space Invaders). The 2 arcade games he purchased were Galaga and Donkey Kong. 

I was very short at the time and would park my special step stool in front of it to play.  My mom would only let me play it early before they opened so I wouldn't interfere with customers.  At night my dad and uncle would pump quarters into it competing with each other till closing time.  I would park my special stool on the side and try to lean in to watch them.

This was one of the earlier platformers.  This giant ape (Donkey Kong) would hold a lady hostage (Pauline) and an unnamed hero would try to rescue her. 

The man with no name eventually got one "Jumpman" which later got changed, and today he no longer needs an introduction. 

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 05 November 2020

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

...oops, I misread the thread title. I thought it said what was it about? I didn't see the second "it". I guess I'd have to say it was being able to experience it with my dad and my uncle and it being one of the first games that I played a lot.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I dont think it was any 1 game. Even tho i had an nes and snes, i think it was a combo of n64 & cube games. Conkers bad fur day, goldeneye, metroid prime 1&2, ocarina of time, luigis mansion, eternal darkness, windwaker, and pikmin. Of all those series, only zelda gets a regular release and its 5 yrs apart. Thats probably y i dont really feel like a fan anymore.