By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo 1st party games hardly go on sales?

freebs2 said:

RolStoppable said:

Very good points and I think I agree with both of you. If your value proposition is based on technology enchantment and high-budget production and scope your game will be outdated in 2 or 3 years. Sony stratey of selling a gaming for less than needed  only to increase numbers for bragging rights also makes sense, however I lowkey want Nintendo to make the same for their titles. I think most people would give their smaller IPs a chance if they got discounted

Sure Animal Crossing absolutely don't need a pricecut, but I can't see why Astral Chain can't be sold at 40 USD, it will take a while to reach 2 million and is a new IP. More people would give the game a chance if it was discounted. 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
freebs2 said:

RolStoppable said:

Very good points and I think I agree with both of you. If your value proposition is based on technology enchantment and high-budget production and scope your game will be outdated in 2 or 3 years. Sony stratey of selling a gaming for less than needed  only to increase numbers for bragging rights also makes sense, however I lowkey want Nintendo to make the same for their titles. I think most people would give their smaller IPs a chance if they got discounted

Sure Animal Crossing absolutely don't need a pricecut, but I can't see why Astral Chain can't be sold at 40 USD, it will take a while to reach 2 million and is a new IP. More people would give the game a chance if it was discounted. 

Problem is the discount approach impacts the returns a game can make, Astral Chain selling 1m at full price likely made more than what some games made selling 3m at bargain bin prices that for Nintendo is more key than numbers being a solely gaming focused company this is why they have discounts as part of their online subscription because they still make up what they lost from reducing the price.

Wyrdness said:

Problem is the discount approach impacts the returns a game can make, Astral Chain selling 1m at full price likely made more than what some games made selling 3m at bargain bin prices that for Nintendo is more key than numbers being a solely gaming focused company this is why they have discounts as part of their online subscription because they still make up what they lost from reducing the price.

It's a new franchise, it's more important to be know for as much people as possible in order to break a niche. With only 1 million sold I think it will hardly have an anticipated sequel 

IcaroRibeiro said:

It's a new franchise, it's more important to be know for as much people as possible in order to break a niche. With only 1 million sold I think it will hardly have an anticipated sequel 

It's better to have a consistent fanbase than a flash in the pan moment all of Nintendo's franchises started this way and built themselves up over time through the brand's reputation for quality. The 1m who bought it with out issue will likely stick with with it much like the Metroid fanbase have with their series and Xenoblade has shown the growth not only happens with out what you suggest but it's more organic growth that is consistent in the long run, dropping a game to bargain bin prices also doesn't guarantee sales look at the original Bayonetta when it was on PS3 and 360 it only manage 2m total at those prices the second game with less sales made more money that it.

This is why it's best they stick to their approach because for all you know you can drop prices and it'll only sell to the same people who would have bought it anyway.

Otter said:

Well firstly let's kill the myth that Nintendo games keep their price because they keep selling.

Plenty of Nintendo releases pull modest numbers, for every Animal Crossing there is a Yoshi's Yarn, Arms, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, pokemon Dungeons, Paper Mario, Labo, Pikmin, Hyrule Warriors, Metroid etc. Particularly prior to the Switch these niche 1-3m selling titles made up the vast majority of Nintendo's output, hell even mainline Zelda would peak at 5m (windwaker, Skyward Sword, majoras mask etc). Still their pricing policy remained what it is. The sales tactic is based on their principle of pushing the value of their titles/brand + maintaining high profit margins from this, regardless of whether the title sells 2m or 15m. It's a tactic which works for them especially as third party interest in their platforms is very low. Its the reason why the Switch has record sales but very few million sellers not from Nintendo.

Secondly, who said people do not wait to buy Nintendo games? What's actually very typical is that their sales start off slower but just maintain healthy legs. By definition that is people waiting. I think the key difference is years down the line every big playstation game has been replaced by similarly big genre competitor or successor on the platform., Hence why you see them at reduced prices, fighting for visibility whilst also making room for new games to succeed at full price.

If there was only 1 call of Duty, 1 Assassins Creed, 1 Fifa released each gen they would be selling 20m+ on playstation alone and likely maintaining their price. Less saturation would mean less need for people to cut prices to compete next to them as well.

Sony and many 3rd parties could do the same but considering there are literally 4x more retail releases on playstation every month, it wouldn't be healthy for them or 3rd parties. The same principles of "Must Have" software exist on playstation/xbox but it's just spread through far more releases in a year... looking at big releases this year on PS4 we've seen Final Fantasy VII/TLOU2/Ghost of Tsunami/Marvel Avengers/Fifa and coming up we'll see Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Cyberpunk, Spiderman... All bar Marvel will be 5m+ sellers by early next year.
Nintendo however will likely end the year with only 1 title released in 2020 which sales will pass 5m (Animal Crossing). In one quarter we're seeing 4x the same number of big releases than Nintendo has managed its whole year. So Nintendo's flagship titles will sell more on average but there will be far fewer of them. 

They keep selling, but at a smaller scale because they’re smaller games from a commercial perspective.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

The pump and dump approach employed by EActubi and other third parties is a large part of why games that sell "only" 5 million copies can end up being seen commercial failures. They're heavily dependent on massive first week sales because their products, other than annual multiplayer-focused franchises like Call of Duty, generally don't have long legs and they don't make as much money off of people waiting for the games to hit $20 or less because the game is an "old" game, or the people waiting for a "GOTY edition" with all the DLC included. If you treat the games you make like disposable products, your customers will do the same. They prefer a business approach that emphasizes volume. That's what works for them. 

Nintendo carefully curates its franchises so that they will maintain their value, and therefore Nintendo continues to make money off of them. That's the way they've always done it since the NES. A Zelda game to me is an event, a treasure to be kept. It also means that Nintendo is generally more willing to keep investing in franchises that would be considered failures at EA or Activision.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 01 November 2020

Cobretti2 said:
Some good reasons have already been mentioned.

To add.

A lot of Nintendo gamers are actual game collectors and take pride in having a nice collection. Go to a second hand section of a game store or even an op shop and what do you see? Countless Sony/Microsoft games and bugger all Nintendo.

Look at past consoles and how many games (especially in PAL regions) have appreciated in value.

Speaking for myself, as a game collector I find Switch cartridges to be more enjoyable to collect than PlayStation or Xbox discs, and certainly more than digital files.

It's a combination of things...

1. Nintendo generally doesn't release sequels for most of its franchises. Particularly the kind of titles where one is likely to make the previous entry irrelevant.

Smash is an example of this. Ultimate makes Smash 4 basically entirely redundant, and would make it a tough sell at full price. So, they're not releasing a sequel. Same with Mario Kart, or Animal Crossing. There are exceptions, such as BOTW2 or Galaxy 2 for Wii, but these are generally experiences where one does not make the other obsolete. Pokemon is really the exception to this rule.

2. They make good games.

Not that other companies don't, but Nintendo makes really good games, and those are the ones that continue to sell at a higher price.

3. They have a big variety of IPS.

This ties into #1. Compared to a company like, Activision, Nintendo has a lot of wells to draw from. Lets say they released Mario Kart 9 right now. It would sell through the roof, but it would also cut at least 5 million off Mario Kart 8 DX's sales, and potentially force a price drop. So, even if they would sell 20-25 million copies, they're kind of only selling 15-20.

Instead, they could release something like a new 2D Mario title. That would cut some sales from NSMBU Switch (and Mario Maker 2 to a lesser extend), but that's not selling at the same level of Kart. By cycling through franchises, they keep older entries from becoming obsolete. Of course, there is a limit, as right now Nintendo is sort of running out of their heavy hitters to release on Switch.

By comparison, Activision's line up is a bit thinner. If they released COD once a year, that entry would probably sell for a while at full price, but they'd have nothing to fill the gap.

4. Nintendo's games are not as story driven.

That's not necessarily a good thing, but in this case I think it helps. With TLOU2 for example, you're not going to get the full experience unless you've played the first. So, Sony is going to really want to get everyone possible to play that one, so they can get on board with the second. Part of that is reducing the price of the first.

5. Nintendo has trained their market.

A lot of it is simply expectation. The same way Apple has gotten its customers used to upgrading, Nintendo has gotten its core base to accept its model. If other companies tried to do the same thing at this point, their fans may be more upset cause it's not what they're used to. But this is just kind of what Nintendo does and right or wrong, we've grown accustomed to it.

Personally, I was willing to buy something like Xenoblade Chronicles DE at launch, even though it's something I wasn't really dying to play, because it probably wasn't going down by more than 20 bucks within a year. On the contrary. I wanted Devil May Cry 5 about as much, but I knew if I waited a while I could get it for 20 bucks, and so that's what I did.

JRPGfan said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Please do not come with the cheap answer "because it sells". Of course it because it sells full price

The question is: What make customers willing to pay full price for Nintendo games years after release whereas most gamers wait for MS/Sony exclusives (or 3rd party games in general) to go on sale?

True, this is overstated concept, as Sony/MS Games tends to be more front-loaded compared o evergreen Ninty titles, most of MS/Sony sales actually are sold from full price in the first 1-2 months. What happens however is after this initial push these games are very likely to go on sale to keep numbers going. Nintendo games not only sell for longer, but also barely need price cuts to keep their numbers stable

The quality (and even the branding) arguments don't paint the full picture. Astral Chain, Yoshi's Crafted World, Arms, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 all sold 1-2 million copies and still largely sold at their launch price

Is this behavioral consumption? We know Nintendo games never go on sale, so are options are either pay 60 USD or just not getting the game we want  

Meanwhile Sony owners know in 6 months they will get a physical version for like 40 bucks or less, so they just wait and buy discounted

If that's the case... why Sony just don't adopt the same strategy? Keep their games full price forever until gamers understand  they have no choice but pay full price

Seems a chicken vs eggs problem. Are we paying more because the prices never goes down, or the prices never goes down because we always pays more?

What about you? Is there  any Switch game you would give a chance if they was sold at 40 USD? Are you currently waiting for any Switch game to go on sale?

Part of it has to be competition.
Nintendo Switch has sold ~400m games.
PS4 has sold like ~1500m games (I think?).

Even if you account for the fact that the Switch is only been on the market, half as long (and double Switch game sales to compensate) you notice its still like half of the playstation 4's.

Basically they sell alot more games, thus theres more competition for the 1st party games.
Also 3rd party are more aggressive with price cuts too there, so Sony 1st party follow suit.

Meanwhile, alot of Switch owners, also own PS4/Xbox's and usually arnt as intrested in 3rd party games on that system (if they already own the games on other systems, or plan to play them there). So the main draw of the Nintendo system is its exclusives by far (more than the other platforms).

Nintendo knows this, and thus keeps prices high on their games to profit more.

Also it could be a differnce in mind set.
Some companies are fine, makeing small profits on each unit sale, but selling more, to accomplish the same.
(while others, are willing to keep prices high, even if they know it potentially means less sales, but since the price is higher, the profits are fine)

Keep in mind that PS4 software figure accounts for download only titles also. Nintendo doesn't include that.

Has "Because Ninty is greedy" been said yet?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!