By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Nintendo 1st party games hardly go on sales?

It is mostly due to being used to it and also lack of harsh external competition on the platform.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

One nice thing is the games do hold value if you do end up selling the games. You can buy say Paper Mario for $35 at Gamefly beat it and sell it for $30 to gamestop or 30-40 on Ebay. One thing I'm not looking forward to is when Nintendo releases their next console and will probably follow Sony and Microsoft and start selling them for 69.99 with the games rarely going on sale.

It is funny to see the assumption that the Non-Nintendo games are less valuable because most of the sales of those games are done on full-price on the first month or two instead of 6-24m after when they drop price.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

IcaroRibeiro said:

[...]

What about you? Is there  any Switch game you would give a chance if they was sold at 40 USD? Are you currently waiting for any Switch game to go on sale?

About games in general, on PC I bought most of my games when they dropped under 40 Euros, and preferably under 30 Euros, but when I was a console gamer, I bought most of my Intellivision games when they dropped to 29000 Italian Lire or less, that's around 15 Euros.
I guess knowing console games are usually more expensive than PC ones, If I ever buy a console again I could start considering 40 Euros already a must buy price for some of the best games, particularly for some racing sims that could have online multiplayer support terminated some years later, so the higher sweet spot could be an investment on game longevity. But for games that give their best on SP and local MP, like many of the best Ninty ones, the longevity would be ensured anyway, so no need to accept a higher price, unless it's the best price I could ever obtain. Not being a die-hard Ninty franchises fan, though, I could find alternatives if Ninty prices stay too high for too long.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

WoodenPints said:
Louie said:

Playstation 4 software sales exceeded 400 million units in January 2017. That's a bit more than 3 years after launch. Almost the same amount of time it took the Switch to do so. Obviously, yearly software sales will increase over the course of a console's lifespan as the install base grows.

The Switch is doing great on Software sales which is sometimes overlooked and is pretty much neck and neck with the PS4.

PS4 hit 401m software sales after 3 year 2 months on the market, Switch is at 406m after 3 years 3 months.

The next number of software sales we know about for the PS4 is 645m after 4 years 2 months on the market which we can compare to the Switch after FYQ1 2022 (end of June 2021) when the Switch has been on the market for 4 years 3 months and I don't think there will be much in it with a slight lead going to the PS4 still but even with a somewhat modest 30% YoY software increase it would total to 218M for FY21 bringing the Switch up to 624m.

Nintendo Software sales exclude digital games only, sony counts everything.