By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sequels better than the original

Not Aliens, thats for sure.

Not yet mentioned (I think): Gremlins 2, Addams Family Values, Toy Story 2 and 3 and of course, The Color of Money.
But yes, theres too many great sequels for this reputation to hold true, as many have pointed out in this thread.

Around the Network

Terminator 2

Dark Knight is an incredibly superior sequel to the original in the trilogy

Obvious ones to choose from are from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, any Marvel series, Mission Impossible, Toy Story, and Star Wars and I think most people would choose one of the sequels ahead of the originals

drbunnig said:

I'm sure there'll be disagreement with these:

Blade Runner 2049
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (very close with Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I love the Ford / Connery combo here)

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Agree with mentions of The Empire Strikes Back. I'd take The Terminator and Alien over their sequels though.

Bond is an interesting one, having covered so many years and having so many different people work on the series, direct comparisons don't feel quite the same as with many others. That said, dividing into eras by actor, Connery and Moore fit the trend with From Russia with Love, Goldfinger and The Spy Who Loved Me.

I'd actually agree with Blade Runner; as great as the first film was I found 2049's lead more engaging than Ford was in the original, and while Hauer's gravitas was missed, (far out he was such an amazing actor) the overall story I also found more compelling. 2049 is one of my of top 10 films of the 2010s actually, which really surprised me as my first reaction when I heard they were making a sequel was "ugh another soulless cash grab".

As for LOTR, I also agree on Return of the King, but not Two Towers which while still excellent I found to be the least of the trilogy due to its grim military tone not being as appealing as the vibrant adventure vibe of Fellowship or the sheer epicness of ROTK.

Off the top of my head,
Shrek 2
Terminator 2
Lord of the Rings Two Towers
Star Wars Empire Strikes Back
Dark Knight

Around the Network

Ka-pi96 said:
Tonnes. Off the top of my head...

Star Wars episodes 2, 3, 5 & 6 (all better than the the original)
Lord of the Rings The Two Towers & Return of the King
Aliens
Rush Hour 2

Episode 2 is probably the worst film in the franchise by a very large margin and that says a lot considering how bad the other prequels and rise of Skywalker are. Episode 3 looks good in comparison to 1 and 2 but is still pretty bad. Personally I don't think episode 6 holds up all that well, I know I'm in a minority when I say that, it's not bad but the that's where a lot of issues that have plagued the series since began.

Aliens, Friday the 13th part 2, Rocky 4. All 3 are purely my opinion and Rocky in particular will not be popular opinion. Rocky 1 was the better technical movie but I just enjoyed 4 a whole lot more. Alien is a masterpiece of horror but again I enjoyed the action of Aliens more. Friday the 13th was great but come on part two was excellent and brought Jason into the series.

rapsuperstar31 said:
Aliens, Friday the 13th part 2, Rocky 4. All 3 are purely my opinion and Rocky in particular will not be popular opinion. Rocky 1 was the better technical movie but I just enjoyed 4 a whole lot more. Alien is a masterpiece of horror but again I enjoyed the action of Aliens more. Friday the 13th was great but come on part two was excellent and brought Jason into the series.

I love rocky 4. It's the most fun movie in the franchise. I'd also put Friday the 13th part 4 and 6 over the original, the original Friday isn't all that great in my opinion.

Evil Dead 2. Really made the series what it is.

Toy Story 2 and Shrek 2