By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sequels better than the original

Star Trek 2 over Star Trek 1. Does anyone disagree?

Around the Network

Here's another: Superman 2 better than Superman 1.

My favourite film, Gamera 3: Rise of Irys, is not only an improvement over both its direct predecessors from the 90s, but also massively so over the original Gamera film from the 60s. It just does basically everything better; story, acting, effects, action scenes, music...

okr said:
Aliens and Blade Runner 2049 do not deserve to be mentioned here.

Their predecessors are two of the best SciFi movies ever created.

I don't know about Blade Runner since I haven't watched 2049 but Aliens definitely belongs in this conversation. It's such an amazing movie that it rivals the original. Though which one is the best depends on what your personal preferences, more horror or more action.

Cool idea for a topic! Here are some of my opinions for movies and games:

Movies

(For me) Rocky IV is better than the others including the original. I understand why some might be surprised but this is just personal preference. I love the music, the fights and the atmosphere a lot more than any other Rocky movie.

X:Men Days of Future Past is in my top 5 superhero movies. Such an amazing movie that managed to crush the already good First Class. It stands as a testament that a Superhero movie doesn't have to be within the MCU or controlled by Marvel to be awesome.

Last but not least is Alien Covenant. I thought it was a lot better than Prometheus and even all the other Alien sequels (aside from Aliens). I related to the characters a lot more, the action was great and Michael Fassbender as David is one of the best villain's I've seen in a movie and a worthy "descendant" of Ash from the original movie.

Games

I've played every single Splinter Cell (aside from the portable ones) and I think Splinter Cell: Blacklist is the best there ever was in that series. I may be in the minority but that game gave me everything I wanted from a stealth military game including a good story with likable characters and smooth, addictive gameplay.

Castlevania III is better than the first two games in pretty much every way. It was very satisfying to beat since it's so freaking hard, lol.

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne achieves an incredible feat by creating a better, deeper narrative than one of the best stories in action/shooter games in the original Max Payne. The gameplay feels a lot more fun, the change in the bullet time was superb and a blast to play around with and the soundtrack is just plain awesome. It's one of my favorite games of all time, the full package.

shikamaru317 said:

Off the top of my head:

Film

• Spider-Man 2
  • Star Wars 5 (2nd movie in the series that was released)
  • LOTR: The Two Towers
  • Back to the Future 2 (unpopular opinion I know, most don't think it is as good as the first)
  • Home Alone 2 (another unpopular opinion)
  • Star Trek 2
  • Toy Story 2
  • X-Men 2
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Games

• Halo 2 (unpopular opinion I know)
  • Witcher 2
  • Sonic 2

Why did everyone like The Empire Strikes Back so much? I'll always prefer A New Hope to that one. 

Around the Network
Nighthawk117 said:
Here's another: Superman 2 better than Superman 1.

Well The Richard Donner Cut for sure not sure about the regular version.  Haven't seen either version all the way though and haven't seen the first movies in forever also.

While the original Godzilla film from 1954 is probably the best of the series in terms of being a piece of serious (for the time) cinema that serves as a fascinating look at Japanese society's attempt to cope with the trauma of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the Cold Wars arms race, it's not my favourite of the series as I feel some of its successors are more enjoyable as escapist entertainment.

The 2001, 2014, 2016, and 2019 films I find more fun.

I'm cheating here, because it's not a sequel (it just kind of feels like one to me), but I liked Snatch more than Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I enjoyed both, but I think Snatch is a bit more polished.

I'm mostly a lurker now.