By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rate Nintendo Switch's 2020 in terms of 1st party game output

What grade would you give the Switch's 2020 in terms of game output?

A 3 5.45%

B 12 21.82%

C 20 36.36%

D 15 27.27%

F 5 9.09%

Total:55

C only because they released GOTY AKA Animal Crossing New Horizons

Otherwise it would be F

Too many ports and remasters. Ports and remasters are F-rated no matter what for me  and the fact they are Wii U ports made them G-rated

Not that I don't enjoy ports and remasters, I play them quite a lot (half of my Swotch library is ports and remasters), but if I need to give a score then I will always rank a new game, even a shit one, over a port 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 23 October 2020

Around the Network

C or C-.
Animal Crossing is amazing. There are some good ports and remakes sprinkled throughout the year. We still have Hyrule Warriors coming. And despite its awful price point and moratorium, it's nice to have Super Mario 3D All-Stars.
But Nintendo has not done a good job communicating with us at all. And there are times without releases and there are too many ports and remakes. This year has not been as good as 2017 or 2019, and probably not even 2018.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

javi741 said:

-We also got Xenoblade remaster

It's a remake

javi741 said:

plus its a remaster of an old game

It's still a remake.

And there is no such thing of a "remaster of a new game"

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Hard to tell what grade to give. They released a great amount of games, such as Animal Crossing, Xenoblade remake, Clubhouse 51, Paper Mario, Super Mario 3D All Stars, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Hyrule Warriors, Clubhouse 51, Kirby Fighters 2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Super Mario 35 or Mario Kart Home Circuit, which is basically 1 first party game per month, which is huge.

But, besides Super Mario 3D All Stars, I didn't bought any game, cause I wasn't the target audience. I mostly bought 3rd party titles (Bioshock & Borderlands collections, Journey to Planet Savage) and we also got a lot of great games, such as Ori 2, Xcom 2 Collection, Crysis Remastered or Hades.

So I don't know, I would give a B-.

Super Mario 35 is cool. Kirby Fighters 2 is a good follow-up. 

New Horizons on one hand is at its core still Animal Crossing, a fun, chill time, but so far it still feels far lesser than New Leaf in substance, even after all the updates, never feel compelled enough to go back to it as often as I did with New Leaf.

Paper Mario The Origami King is pretty special and my highlight of the year.

Excited for Age of Calamity.

I guess C.

Around the Network

B-

Animal Crossing. A
Super Mario 3D All Stars. A
Mario 35. A-

Paper Mario. C+

I do plan on getting Fire Emblem. Xenoblade and Pikmin remakes don't do anything for me. I wanted to see either N64 online or GBA online added to the online service this year and we so far haven't gotten anything new there. Donkey Kong Country 2 was a welcomed addition. Funny enough my 2nd favorite game on the Switch this year is Bug Fables and that isn't 1st party.

I wouldn't say it was that great. But AC is the biggest system seller since BotW so that's huge just on its own. Xenoblade, Clubhouse 51, Paper Mario, Pikmin are decent additions. Mario Kart Live is the interesting Labo-type thing for the year. 3D All-Stars is a fantastic addition to the year (despite greater potential). And Age of Calamity looks pretty freakin cool.

Certainly not a prolific year, but I think it kinda just feels like it's missing a big holiday game. If Age of Calamity had come out back in like February and BotW2 was the holiday game, then I think it would have felt more like a filled up year instead of letting AC hang out basically all by itself during the first half of the year, plus added a huge holiday game to finish the year.

So just make that change and this would had been the calendar:
Feb: Age of Calamity
Mar: AC
May: Xenoblade
June: Clubhouse 51
July: Paper Mario
Sept: Mario 3D All Stars
Oct: Mario Kart Live, Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Nov: BotW2

That looks pretty full. But without that huge holiday game I have to give this year a C+ for first party.

SKMBlake said:
javi741 said:

-We also got Xenoblade remaster

It's a remake

javi741 said:

plus its a remaster of an old game

It's still a remake.

Dude, don't go that way. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

D; Age of Calamity is for me the only first party game all year worth buying.

Third parties really saved the year by bringing the likes of Ori, Outer Worlds, Sniper Elite 4, Immortals, Hotshot Racing, etc.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 October 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Metallox said:
SKMBlake said:

It's a remake

It's still a remake.

Dude, don't go that way. 

I'm bored