By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light for Switch, first time in English

Dulfite said:
For a second I thought they shadow announced a brand new FE game coming out in December lol.

Yeah, me too! Though they had a remake of the first game ready.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
What a lame way to celebrate an anniversary.

Not at all, that special edition is very nice. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I wanna play Thracia 776 :(

Why not just put it on the NES Online app?

Why not just rerelease the DS version instead?

Why not localize a Fire Emblem game that hasn't been localized before?

Why- you know what nevermind.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Metallox said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
What a lame way to celebrate an anniversary.

Not at all, that special edition is very nice. 

ah yes, because putting effort into your limited edition collector's items that are separate from the game itself, is comparable to putting effort into the ... actual game being released. 

well played Intelligent Systems and Nintendo, simply 2 Intelligent 4 me

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Meh, I’d be more excited if they updated it a tad... it’s too dated now...

It’s not that I’m not in favour of remakes and remasters, but I prefer having access to the ports of the original, first.

When I play an old game, few things piss me off more than “improvements” that break things I like about the original.

A few examples:

Final Fantasy 1 & 2 remake totally buggered the magic system of FF1 to put in their boring generic system which was easily abused,  ruined the classic character art, and sucked the soul right out of the game.

Sword of Mana destroyed the pacing and tension of Mystic Quest/Seiken Densetsu 1 by expanding the dungeons and adding all this fanfic worthy storytelling to expand the narrative. For the record, they later made a remake called Adventures of Mana which I actually quite liked - it left the story and gameplay alone, just updating the graphics, and it felt WAY better to play than Sword of Mana. The original team had good instincts, IMO.

Chrono Trigger TOTALLY ruined the mystery of Schala when ported to the with a few extras, on DS. The new ending really added nothing of importance, and ruined lots. It would be like if they took the film American Psycho, which is supposed to leave open questions for the viewer to interpret how they want, and just make up some definitive answer and also put Bateman in an institution. Also, something felt off about the animations. Thankfully, we got the real Chrono Trigger on the Wii virtual console.

And I’m just talking Square stuff.

For a Nintendo example, Super Mario Bros 3 Allstar takes the classic stylized art of the NES original tosses its salad with a broken bottle.

Sure, remasters, remakes, and enhanced ports can make games better, but I find at least half the time the artistic visions of the originals are the preferred versions, even if it’s not apparent on paper. Let the gamers make that decision.

And for the record, I think Fire Emblem is TOTALLY one of those game franchises that we need the originals for. I want to see exactly where it all began, how it began, and then watch where they went with it before finally hitting the franchises undisputed masterpiece with FE4 - another FE game I want localized for a western audience and ported to Switch without a graphical or gameplay overhauls, or adding in chunks of story. Localizations are technically edits of the game, text changes from Japanese to EFIGS, character names change, sometimes ages change, clothing changes, symbols change, cutscenes are sometimes altered, etc... but it’s a whole different thing and a whole different argument than blanket overhauls to update - so that’s not what I’m talking about here.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 22 October 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

KLXVER said:

Its not a physical release. The NES cart is just for show. The game is a download code that comes with the package.

Darn, I was wondering why people weren't making a bigger deal about the NES cart.  I should have read that part more carefully.  Well that's an underwhelming release then.

Jumpin said:
gergroy said:
Meh, I’d be more excited if they updated it a tad... it’s too dated now...

It’s not that I’m not in favour of remakes and remasters, but I prefer having access to the ports of the original, first.

When I play an old game, few things piss me off more than “improvements” that break things I like about the original.

A few examples:

Final Fantasy 1 & 2 remake totally buggered the magic system of FF1 to put in their boring generic system which was easily abused,  ruined the classic character art, and sucked the soul right out of the game.

Sword of Mana destroyed the pacing and tension of Mystic Quest/Seiken Densetsu 1 by expanding the dungeons and adding all this fanfic worthy storytelling to expand the narrative. For the record, they later made a remake called Adventures of Mana which I actually quite liked - it left the story and gameplay alone, just updating the graphics, and it felt WAY better to play than Sword of Mana. The original team had good instincts, IMO.

Chrono Trigger TOTALLY ruined the mystery of Schala when ported to the with a few extras, on DS. The new ending really added nothing of importance, and ruined lots. It would be like if they took the film American Psycho, which is supposed to leave open questions for the viewer to interpret how they want, and just make up some definitive answer and also put Bateman in an institution. Also, something felt off about the animations. Thankfully, we got the real Chrono Trigger on the Wii virtual console.

For a Nintendo example, Super Mario Bros 3 Allstar takes the classic stylized art of the NES original tosses its salad with a broken bottle.

Sure, remasters, remakes, and enhanced ports can make games better, but I find at least half the time the artistic visions of the originals are the preferred versions, even if it’s not apparent on paper. Let the gamers make that decision.

And for the record, I think Fire Emblem is TOTALLY one of those game franchises that we need the originals for. I want to see exactly where it all began, how it began, and then watch where they went with it before finally hitting the franchises undisputed masterpiece with FE4 - another FE game I want localized for a western audience and ported to Switch without a graphical or gameplay overhauls, or adding in chunks of story. Localizations are technically edits of the game, text changes from Japanese to EFIGS, character names change, sometimes ages change, clothing changes, symbols change, cutscenes are sometimes altered, etc... but it’s a whole different thing and a whole different argument than blanket overhauls to update - so that’s not what I’m talking about here.

That’s great that you like all those original things... but let’s be real.  Game mechanics and graphics from 30 years ago just aren’t as polished or enjoyable when viewed through a modern lens.  Considering this game has no nostalgic Value for me, I don’t care if they change things.  Things like updated graphics and possibly voice acting can only help, not really saying they need a full remake.  I do really like fire emblem, it’s probably my favorite Nintendo franchise, but this doesn’t excite me.  There is a reason I don’t still play games from 80’s and 90’s...

gergroy said:
Jumpin said:

A few examples:

That’s great that you like all those original things... but let’s be real.  Game mechanics and graphics from 30 years ago just aren’t as polished or enjoyable when viewed through a modern lens.  Considering this game has no nostalgic Value for me, I don’t care if they change things.  Things like updated graphics and possibly voice acting can only help, not really saying they need a full remake.  I do really like fire emblem, it’s probably my favorite Nintendo franchise, but this doesn’t excite me.  There is a reason I don’t still play games from 80’s and 90’s...

So, you think I’m not “being real” when I point out that much of the time“enhanced” versions are creatively uninspired and not as good of an experience as the originals?

I pointed out multiple examples where graphical updates hurt the game.

And often bad voice acting does hurt rather than help. Fire Emblem is no exception, as they have given male characters,  who are clearly supposed to be European, not just a thick American accent, but a valley girl accent (or would it be valley guy? Is that a thing?). While it doesn’t break the game, it certainly doesn’t help; if they gave Marth an American accent it would be off-putting/immersion-breaking enough, but a valley girl accent would be infuriating.

As I‘ve said, releasing updated versions of games are fine; but first bring out the authentic versions of the game first, because remakes often screw things up - case and point: Shadow Dragon DS.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
gergroy said:

So, you think I’m not “being real” when I point out that much of the time“enhanced” versions are creatively uninspired and not as good of an experience as the originals?

I pointed out multiple examples where graphical updates hurt the game.

And often bad voice acting does hurt rather than help. Fire Emblem is no exception, as they have given male characters,  who are clearly supposed to be European, not just a thick American accent, but a valley girl accent (or would it be valley guy? Is that a thing?). While it doesn’t break the game, it certainly doesn’t help; if they gave Marth an American accent it would be off-putting/immersion-breaking enough, but a valley girl accent would be infuriating.

As I‘ve said, releasing updated versions of games are fine; but first bring out the authentic versions of the game first, because remakes often screw things up - case and point: Shadow Dragon DS.

You did give multiple examples, but it’s definitely not anything I agree with.  You are more than entitled to that opinion, and that’s great that you like the original stuff.  My point was that most modern audiences probably wouldnt share that opinion.