By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your sexual orientation?

Now that I caught up on the whole thread.

Straight left handed man lol

Around the Network
Otter said:

This 

This is an orientation I can stand behind! Or in front of.. 

Last edited by Raven - on 22 October 2020

shikamaru317 said:
axumblade said:

I don't know an exact answer but that 5% just account for those who are out in real life. LGBT+ definitely accounts for more than 5% of the population (though it could only vary by a few points).  The joys of vgchartz (and other websites) is that you can be completely honest about your sexuality without having to out yourself in the real world. 

Though this site has always had a slightly higher amount of gay members than most sites I frequent. But that could be for many reasons. 

Yeah, it might be a bit higher than 5% due to closeted folk, but I'd be shocked if the percentage of LGBT people in the world is over 10%. 

It's not just closeted people, though. Current society massively discourages sexual exploration, so I expect a huge number of at least bi people who don't even know they are because they never dared to explore. LGB population might be 20% or more.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Interesting thread...

Last edited by BlackBeauty - on 22 October 2020

vivster said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, it might be a bit higher than 5% due to closeted folk, but I'd be shocked if the percentage of LGBT people in the world is over 10%. 

It's not just closeted people, though. Current society massively discourages sexual exploration, so I expect a huge number of at least bi people who don't even know they are because they never dared to explore. LGB population might be 20% or more.

Yes! This whole thing about labels is so interesting. Labels are great for inanimate objects; we call a table a table to know what we're talking about.
But human emotions and especially sexual orientation is so much more complex than that. Labels can be very limiting and come with a lot of prejudice and fear of rejection should one embrace such a label for themselves (or even just begin to explore their own sexuality, like you said).
On the other hand, a label can also be very empowering for your identity, and bring you a sense of belonging. Which in turn can be very beneficial for your mental health and self esteem. So interesting! And I haven't personally made up my mind really, when it comes to labelling my own sexual orientation. I consider myself a cis guy, attracted to other guys. And not sexually attracted to women. So I guess that makes me gay, even though I seldom call myself that.

Around the Network

I'm straight. Like others have mentioned though; it's a mark of pride (pun intended) that this community is of the kind that everyone and anyone want to stay in and it's by far the most friendly and accepting gaming forum I ever used. It deflates many myths about gamers and nerds and it's also among the main reasons I've stuck around for over 13 years now.

dan_banan said:
vivster said:

Yes! This whole thing about labels is so interesting. Labels are great for inanimate objects; we call a table a table to know what we're talking about.
But human emotions and especially sexual orientation is so much more complex than that. Labels can be very limiting and come with a lot of prejudice and fear of rejection should one embrace such a label for themselves (or even just begin to explore their own sexuality, like you said).
On the other hand, a label can also be very empowering for your identity, and bring you a sense of belonging. Which in turn can be very beneficial for your mental health and self esteem. So interesting! And I haven't personally made up my mind really, when it comes to labelling my own sexual orientation. I consider myself a cis guy, attracted to other guys. And not sexually attracted to women. So I guess that makes me gay, even though I seldom call myself that.

Labels are generally bad. Cis and trans+ being the worst.

I couldn't give a shit how good applying labels to oneself makes people feel, it is bad and will inevitably lead to toxicity. A person's Identity should never EVER EVER be based on belonging to a certain group. Group thinking will always lead to antipathy towards outsiders, especially when a person considers belonging to a group as part of their identity.

Personality is personal and has nothing to do with anyone else. Personalities are too complex for any label anyway. Even my hardcore introversion doesn't fit at all times, so I try to not call myself an introvert, but rather just say that I am mostly introverted. Seems like not a huge difference, but it really is, because I do not count myself as part of a group called "introverts".

Same with my sexuality. Depending on wildly different definitions I might be called straight, bi or even gay by different people. So I rather describe what body parts and traits I'm attracted to.

There is simply no need to label anything about my personality or identity, especially not my gender or sexuality.

Anyone who labels their identity is part of one of the biggest social problems we as humans face.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I write with both hands but I got used to the right hand but oddly when I write with the right hand I hold my fork / pen like a left-handed person. It's quite strange, my mother was left-handed but was forced to write with her right hand so she is right-handed (in the United Arab Emirates it is frowned upon to be left-handed because of religion)

For sure though, I think Bi men have a harder time addressing that aspect of their sexuality. I'm nearly 30 and the majority of the people who I know who are still partially closeted are Bi. There's been 2 guys in the last year who I've had something romantic with who say only their closest friend(s) know they're bi and they're more comfortable being with woman. Hell one of my best friends just started a relationship with a 32 year old bi man who was closeted up until the point of their drunken hookup

Oh and right handed even though I thought there was a correlation between being left handed and gay lol

Poll needed