By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation's new rule about recording conversations.

Do you believe this new policy is something to worry about?

Yes. 12 50.00%

No. 12 50.00%

Total:24
Darwinianevolution said:
Otter said:

Isnt there a difference between Kinect always recording users living rooms, vs a user having the option to send an audio convo to sony for moderation?

For example does the PS5 send it sony even without any complaint or is it like video recording in game where the PS5 saves and deletes the last x amount of minutes/hours? 

Seems like a faux comparison unless Im mistaken

In both cases you have no control whether you get recorded or not. The kinect had an "always on" approach when first unveiled, while with this, Sony gives the users the ability to record other players and send their recordings, whethey the recorded party agrees or not. You will get recorded anyway, and can't do a thing about it, since this is a one sided imposition.

How is that different from the current video recording, which includes voice chat (unless disabled)

Around the Network
hinch said:

I think you're misunderstanding OP.

This isn't Sony phoning in, rather people recording their content can send stuff to Sony for submission. for toxic/abusive behaviour for moderation.

Being worried about this is a bit like being scared of your phone or laptop/PC because it has an open mic :P

To be fair, I always disconnect my webcam and microphone when I'm not using it. :/

Otter said:
Darwinianevolution said:

In both cases you have no control whether you get recorded or not. The kinect had an "always on" approach when first unveiled, while with this, Sony gives the users the ability to record other players and send their recordings, whethey the recorded party agrees or not. You will get recorded anyway, and can't do a thing about it, since this is a one sided imposition.

This didn't answer the question, which remains an obvious key distinction.

"Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review."

"I'm not even sure if this is even legal, I don't know if Sony can unilaterally decide to record an user's voice."

This only applies in using the voice chat feature, by using it, you consent, so yeah its legal and also different in nature to kinect being always on.

If these recordings are offline/not sent to sonys servers by default then thats another level of being different from kinect.

Fundementally its completely fair to have a discussion here but using Kinect as a point of comparison is kind of mute, nothing to do with double standards. 

And when you purchased an XBOne you accepted Microsoft's conditions regarding Kinect and its recordings. Hell, it's becoming so commonplace around technology it's really frightening: accept a cut of your privacy or you don't get to access the products you bought, even if you bought them before the policy changed.

Also, this sort of reminds me when Youtube was accused by the FTC of gathering personal info on minors through their automated servers. If Sony's recordings are going to continue, I get the feeling they are going to end up stepping on the same landmine.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
hinch said:

I think you're misunderstanding OP.

This isn't Sony phoning in, rather people recording their content can send stuff to Sony for submission. for toxic/abusive behaviour for moderation.

Being worried about this is a bit like being scared of your phone or laptop/PC because it has an open mic :P

To be fair, I always disconnect my webcam and microphone when I'm not using it. :/

Otter said:

This didn't answer the question, which remains an obvious key distinction.

"Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review."

"I'm not even sure if this is even legal, I don't know if Sony can unilaterally decide to record an user's voice."

This only applies in using the voice chat feature, by using it, you consent, so yeah its legal and also different in nature to kinect being always on.

If these recordings are offline/not sent to sonys servers by default then thats another level of being different from kinect.

Fundementally its completely fair to have a discussion here but using Kinect as a point of comparison is kind of mute, nothing to do with double standards. 

And when you purchased an XBOne you accepted Microsoft's conditions regarding Kinect and its recordings. Hell, it's becoming so commonplace around technology it's really frightening: accept a cut of your privacy or you don't get to access the products you bought, even if you bought them before the policy changed.

Also, this sort of reminds me when Youtube was accused by the FTC of gathering personal info on minors through their automated servers. If Sony's recordings are going to continue, I get the feeling they are going to end up stepping on the same landmine.

Its hard to get away from being tracked unless you're more tech savvy. Google/Microsoft will have been phoning home from your phone/PC for your usage data without you knowing. Never mind websites that use cookies that track your history. If you have a Facebook account you basically set a profile for yourself :P

But yeah, you can just mute your mic when you go online or not play online with others with an open mic with you shouting expletives to others lol

Darwinianevolution said:

Whether the recordings are offline is still a crucial point that remains unanswered. 1hr of compressed audio shouldn't take up more then 1GB on the OS, so I suspect its an offline timed archive built into the OS just like screen recording. That should be the question people are  first asking. If its offline then its really not about Sony collecting your Data unless other players who you have spoken to are filing complaints about your convo.

In which case, the question then becomes whether personal audio recordings can be turned off.  "...will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review." So essentially people giving up the right to send evidence of a complaint by turning off their recordings, In which case it could be made visible who has audio recordings enabled and who doesn't and you can choose what chats you choose to participate in. 

These kind of measures are always good to stir up paranoia in people and have them play the weirdest scenarios in their heads.
Personally, I find this whole topic to be a huge non-issue.

Around the Network

Xbox was under fire for “always listening” with Kinect. I guess Sony didn’t get the memo. This goes beyond recording audio but also selling it to 3rd parties

Got my take from this guy who broke down the terms of use.

https://youtu.be/rOKTDzEv2PE

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I have no issue with this , helps moderating violations .

Moderation sounds like a horrible reason for such a privacy invasion. Opt-in is OK but forced recording is not. Suddenly the built-in microphone in the DualSense doesn't seem like such a great idea. On the upside, this doesn't affect all usage of the system (at least for now).

twintail said:
Ka-pi96 said:
I don't even get what the point of this is. Private party chats? Why would anybody even want to report somebody for something in that? If somebody's a dickhead just don't invite them into your party chats, problem solved.

Maybe because you want to do more about racist/ homophobic/ transphobic people and their slurs.

MS has this feature already. If you don't like it, then you can opt out. 

By using that feature you agree to the new rule, meaning you can only use it if you agree with the new terms of service. It's not so simple as to just opt out.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

Apparently the latest update for the PS4 has been causing quite a lot of concern. After the PS4 8.00 update, it seems that chat conversations will be able to be recorded and sent to Sony for "moderation", causing immediate concerns about privacy and possible misuses of this policy.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-15-the-internet-briefly-thought-their-ps4s-were-spying-on-them-and-the-memes-rolled-in

You can already record your friends voices on the PS4. I have plenty of recordings of my friends on my HDD.

Recording is done locally on user's PS5 consoles and not on PSN servers. Party voice chat recordings are submitted to SIE whenever a user submits a voice chat report from their PS5 console.

Microsoft have the exact same feature.

Last edited by Dallinor - on 16 October 2020