By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Question for people already gaming at 120 fps.

During this gen it has been fairly common to see games uncapped, so games could jump from 30 to 60 fps depending on the action. This can often feel bad depending how extreme it is.

With that said, I started thinking its possible games in the next gen could be uncapped and move between 60 to 120 fps.

So my question is does a frame rate moving from 60 to 120 fps feel okay? Does it feel better to keep it at locked 60 fps? My logic is 30-60 fps can feel bad depending how erratic it is, but how is 60-120 in comparison? Also, can games sitting at around 90 fps feel juddery?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

IMO if you lose 10-15 frames at random you're okay. Anything past a 15 frame drop starts to look jittery. If my in game framerate varies by 20 frames, I'll either lock it to 100 or lower the settings so it can run at 120 or 144 at a steady rate.

The main thing will be whether or not your TV has HDMI 2.1. If it doesn't and the game has variable fps, then you might see tearing on your screen. HDMI 2.1 fixes that by having support for VRR which essentially makes the variable fps a lot less of an issue unless the drops are massive.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

If you're like me, and are unable to see the difference between 60fps and 120fps, then you'll be fine. You won't even be able to tell when the frame rate is jumping all over the place.

A game won't jump between 60 and 120. It's gonna be more like running at 70-90fps and maybe sometimes dips below 60fps. But that's fine because that's what variable refresh rate is for. Or what you probably want to hear; a game jumping between 60 and 120 is not gonna be worse than a game running at 60.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Frames are an index of time, so if you get that time index of 2 frame lag, that's equal to 4 frames at 120fps, and it feels just as bad. However, because frames last a shorter amount of time at 120fps, a 1 frame dip isn't going to be as noticeable as a 1 frame dip at 60fps.

If the game is stable, and your monitor can actually display 120fps, then 60 FPS is never advantageous over 120. I play my gamesa t 165fps, and I only turn it down when I'm multi-tasking, or if my PC can't run that frame-rate while doing other things, like streaming, or something. So, I'll instead play at 90fps. Anything over 60, as I only play 60fps, when games are hard-locked to 60FPS.

Stable framerates are ALWAYS better, though.  I'll take 30fps over 60 with dips into 40.

The games I've played hardly drop that drastically, unless it's a bad port or an MMO like ESO (which still uses 1-2 CPU threads).

That said, I can detect a difference from 120 down to 80fps, but those aren't anywhere frequent with the games I play, with GSYNC also making the drops far less apparent.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

i think you wre a day early based on this vid

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

I saw it this morning and he did touch on my question here.

In a nutshell for others, the game is mostly a stable 120 fps with some dips into the 90s. He said its barely noticeable in his opinion because its so smooth already.

Now that doesen't answer my question exactly because I am curious to know how a game moving from 60 to 120 fps erratically depending on the load will actually feel like. Realistically, uncapped games hitting 120 fps may not be that erratic. Also, given 60 fps is a sweet spot, we may not see games aiming for 120 fps unless its actually stable.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
kirby007 said:

I saw it this morning and he did touch on my question here.

In a nutshell for others, the game is mostly a stable 120 fps with some dips into the 90s. He said its barely noticeable in his opinion because its so smooth already.

Now that doesen't answer my question exactly because I am curious to know how a game moving from 60 to 120 fps erratically depending on the load will actually feel like. Realistically, uncapped games hitting 120 fps may not be that erratic. Also, given 60 fps is a sweet spot, we may not see games aiming for 120 fps unless its actually stable.

or if it would have a gameplay benefit instead of just looking pretty

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.