By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Question for people already gaming at 120 fps.

vivster said:
SvennoJ said:

Only since screen tearing fell out of favor although you can still choose to 'endure' tearing with uncapped frame rates. But true, it's only stable if you cap it (low enough)

VRR will be niche this gen until cheap tvs come with VRR. HDR is still niche and 1080p tvs are still dominant in most parts of the world. 1080p tvs and even 720p are still for sale. I doubt VRR will be standard for any display by the end of this gen. It would be nice, although I won't buy a new tv again until this one breaks. Same for the old one which lasted 12 years before it started showing problems.

By the end of this gen HDMI 2.1 will be the TV standard. All but the very bottom garbage tier of TVs will feature HDR, VRR and 4k. 5 years is a long time. Nobody will buy a 1080p TV without HDR then. VRR will just become another standard feature even if most people won't use it because the panels will be ubiquitous.

I like your optimism, but HDMI 2.1 port doesn't mean the tv will support VRR. I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still waiting for 1080p to become standard by my cable company, 'enjoying' 7 mbps mpeg2 720p/1080i content since 2006. At least most is in proper widescreen nowadays!