By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you remember NTSC AND PAL?

I can recall this. NTSC was "Black and White mode" to me, as switching to NTSC on my PS2 would result in my TV losing colour,
For whatever reason my Gamecube could run NTSC fine without colour loss.

Around the Network

Good old PAL days

Used to play in the 50hz of PAL here in Australia.

Had no idea at the time. Glad it isn't a thing anymore and region locking for the most part is non existent.

Yeah I think I had issues with that where my Wii was NTSC and our TV only had Pal so I had to jailbreak it.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

SvennoJ said:
PAL was better for movies, higher resolution (576 scan lines vs 480 for NTSC) and no 3:2 pull down filter. Movies ran 4% faster on PAL in Europe, displaying 25 frames per second from the 24 frames per second original. It was too small of a speed up to interfere with sound.

Actually, it's quite noticable, and when doing final sound delivery we're under obligation to do pitch shifting for 23.976/24 to 25 and vice versa.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
SvennoJ said:
PAL was better for movies, higher resolution (576 scan lines vs 480 for NTSC) and no 3:2 pull down filter. Movies ran 4% faster on PAL in Europe, displaying 25 frames per second from the 24 frames per second original. It was too small of a speed up to interfere with sound.

Actually, it's quite noticable, and when doing final sound delivery we're under obligation to do pitch shifting for 23.976/24 to 25 and vice versa.

I wonder how they did that in the 60's and 70's? But now I think of it, I have read about pitch shift issues with certain movies.

SvennoJ said:
HoloDust said:

I wonder how they did that in the 60's and 70's? But now I think of it, I have read about pitch shift issues with certain movies.

I don't believe they did any pitch correction back in those days, that's why lot of dialogue sounded a bit strange. Even these days, with proper pitch, in some movies dialogue seems off due to a different speed from original - to my knowledge, lot, if not most most stuff for TV in Europe is still shot in 25fps, so it's quite common thing to run into this.