By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 4000+ games backwards compatible Day 1. PSN library carries over to PS5

DonFerrari said:

Yes I wasn`t expecting that more than 99% of the games would be fine on BC with such a small list of exclusions, and none are games that many people would really mind.

BC is a nice feature, but myself I have kept the older consoles but not power them up, I much rather play a remastered than replaying the same game. So the BC on Series X is really good imho, just need to see how they will play out.

And yes will be good to play for the first time on a superior performance so I think you are going to have a very good first year.

It's not even just about Me! My roommate benefits, too, and it also makes the living room the de-facto place for party games and the like. Rock Band, Overcooked, etc. Lots of opportunities, lots of chances to finally play games in 4K, a whole slew of amazing games in the PS+ collection (it's like GamePass but with games I actually like! Read: PS exclusives). I dunno, all the little things are coming together and I feel Sony is really capitalizing on the momentum with the PS4. I remember back in 2013-2015 I was shocked at how much they were doing right after how terribly they did with the PS3, so I see they learned. with PS5 they're taking everything they learned and ramping it up to 11. 

I mean, the chain of causality is pretty clear, here. I'm not heaping praise because I'm a fangirl, I'm a fangirl because they're doing so much right and capitalizing on the momentum they earned last gen. Seriously, can you think of any ways they could do this better aside from lowering the price (Even then I don't think the price is unreasonable.)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
KingJames said:

Sony isn't offering its entire company legacy as backwards compatibility, Microsoft did that to help save the Xbox One and ultimately have kept it as a main feature to ensure Xbox Console longevity. Previous generation backwards compatibility is all you truly need in a new console. "Just isn't very impressive imo" lmfaaaoo

Just how I see it. One company goes 2 generations further back then the other. The reasoning you gave doesn’t change the results. Imo the 360/PS3 gen was one of the best. And for certain games I’ve still not yet tried or for millions of teenagers getting into gaming recently, they will benefit from the availability.

I said my piece briefly but you called me out so here you go. 

yeah, but Sony's PS4 alone is stronger of a lineup than the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined, at least in terms of exclusives. I mean, that might be an exaggeration (it is, that statement is nowhere near provably true), but if you can pretend everything Xbox does is perfect and completely ignore any of its many faults or shortcomings, I can damn well pretend that the Ps4's library is better than the last three gens combined on Xbox. From an objective stance, that's an absolutely absurd statement...

...but from a subjective stance, I can honestly say I think I've spent more time just on Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank than I have on Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined. The original Xbox was nothing but a halo box (LAN parties were genuinely awesome), the Xbox 360 stayed on the shelf collecting dust because I was always worried it would Red Ring (Despite me having more 360 games than PS2 games), and me literally spending more time to update the firmware on the Xbox One than playing games on it since of the 5 games it had that interested me, 3 of them came out on Switch (Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps and Cuphead). 

We all have our preferences, right? Some of us certainly are laser focused on a handful of games, and others develop tonnes of loyalty after literal decades of built-up goodwill. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Good news that PS5 players will get to play a bunch more games on their device. I've always liked backwards compatibility. It does suck that it only goes back as far as PS4, but that's understandable. I imagine people will feel a bit more comfortable about selling their PS4 following this news too.

NyanNyanNekoChan said:

Good news that PS5 players will get to play a bunch more games on their device. I've always liked backwards compatibility. It does suck that it only goes back as far as PS4, but that's understandable. I imagine people will feel a bit more comfortable about selling their PS4 following this news too.

I'm sure it's POSSIBLE to emulate further, but PS3 has remarkably complicated architecture so I totally get it. This is why you don't try to do proprietary shit (they definitely learned this with the vita). And by now PS1/2 stuff is just too old. I figure going forward PS4 onward should be included, if console manufacturers are going the way of the PC. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Just how I see it. One company goes 2 generations further back then the other. The reasoning you gave doesn’t change the results. Imo the 360/PS3 gen was one of the best. And for certain games I’ve still not yet tried or for millions of teenagers getting into gaming recently, they will benefit from the availability.

yeah, but Sony's PS4 alone is stronger of a lineup than the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined, at least in terms of exclusives. I mean, that might be an exaggeration (it is, that statement is nowhere near provably true), but if you can pretend everything Xbox does is perfect and completely ignore any of its many faults or shortcomings, I can damn well pretend that the Ps4's library is better than the last three gens combined on Xbox. From an objective stance, that's an absolutely absurd statement...

...but from a subjective stance, I can honestly say I think I've spent more time just on Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank than I have on Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined. The original Xbox was nothing but a halo box (LAN parties were genuinely awesome), the Xbox 360 stayed on the shelf collecting dust because I was always worried it would Red Ring (Despite me having more 360 games than PS2 games), and me literally spending more time to update the firmware on the Xbox One than playing games on it since of the 5 games it had that interested me, 3 of them came out on Switch (Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps and Cuphead). 

We all have our preferences, right? Some of us certainly are laser focused on a handful of games, and others develop tonnes of loyalty after literal decades of built-up goodwill. 

Me “pretending”...lol have you learned anything from the Bethesda thread? I acknowledge what they have been doing in the last 2 years has resonated with my tastes and wants. Doesn’t mean Im blind to their mistakes in the past. Saying One generation eclipses having 3 gens BC is a bold statement indeed. 

The original Xbox had a lot of cult hits aside from just Halo. These are all BC on Xbox right now: KOTOR, Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Crimson Skies. Psychonauts, Prince of Persia, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon, Jade Empire, Conker Reloaded, Splinter Cell trilogy, Blinx, Star Wars Battlefront/Republic Commando. A little research from you can go a long way to understand the other side. 

Your 360 argument is just pure deflection. Good thing Series X is built well AND improves 360 games without dev input. That gen had way more gems and diversity, it’s Xbox’s best library (in one generation) to this day. The multiplats too that are shared with Ps3, also carry forward next gen and only available on Xbox. 

I’ll say again: For new younger gamers and ones like me who haven’t played all the gems of the past but plan to sometime, having 3 gens of BC is better then 1. If you happy with what Sony is giving you, hey you do you. I’m allowed to say I’m not impressed, I certainly think I backed up my point. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 10 October 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

All the generation defining games from the HD twins era (lol), how few they may be, were remastered or ported to the PS4 anyway, except for Demon's Souls... oh wait

KingJames said:
sales2099 said:
Thought we knew this? PS4 only and not PS1-PS3. I mean if there was any confusion I’m glad we all on the same page. Just isn’t very impressive imo.

Sony isn't offering its entire company legacy as backwards compatibility, Microsoft did that to help save the Xbox One and ultimately have kept it as a main feature to ensure Xbox Console longevity. Previous generation backwards compatibility is all you truly need in a new console. "Just isn't very impressive imo" lmfaaaoo

To be fair, Microsoft isn't offering its "entire" company legacy as bc either.

Only 41 out of the 1001 original Xbox games are available for instance. And if I remember correctly, about 25% of the 360 library is available. Would be awesome if 25% of the PS3 library supported bc but it'd still be far from the entire legacy.

You'll always have games in your collection that aren't supported.

mZuzek said:
SvennoJ said:

If your tv is smaller than the PS5, you really don't need one. Stick to the Wii, that should look fine on it :p

DonFerrari said:

Do you play on 11" tv?

It's 32'', so, about a third of the PS5's size.

Well there you go, now it only needs to be cheaper and perhaps prettier for your taste, the size was already solved =p

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes I wasn`t expecting that more than 99% of the games would be fine on BC with such a small list of exclusions, and none are games that many people would really mind.

BC is a nice feature, but myself I have kept the older consoles but not power them up, I much rather play a remastered than replaying the same game. So the BC on Series X is really good imho, just need to see how they will play out.

And yes will be good to play for the first time on a superior performance so I think you are going to have a very good first year.

It's not even just about Me! My roommate benefits, too, and it also makes the living room the de-facto place for party games and the like. Rock Band, Overcooked, etc. Lots of opportunities, lots of chances to finally play games in 4K, a whole slew of amazing games in the PS+ collection (it's like GamePass but with games I actually like! Read: PS exclusives). I dunno, all the little things are coming together and I feel Sony is really capitalizing on the momentum with the PS4. I remember back in 2013-2015 I was shocked at how much they were doing right after how terribly they did with the PS3, so I see they learned. with PS5 they're taking everything they learned and ramping it up to 11. 

I mean, the chain of causality is pretty clear, here. I'm not heaping praise because I'm a fangirl, I'm a fangirl because they're doing so much right and capitalizing on the momentum they earned last gen. Seriously, can you think of any ways they could do this better aside from lowering the price (Even then I don't think the price is unreasonable.)

Makes a lot of sense. I defend Sony because I agree with what they do not because it is Sony. I`m pretty open and honest with what I think. Hope you and roomate enjoy a lot of your party gaming.

Runa216 said:
NyanNyanNekoChan said:

I'm sure it's POSSIBLE to emulate further, but PS3 has remarkably complicated architecture so I totally get it. This is why you don't try to do proprietary shit (they definitely learned this with the vita). And by now PS1/2 stuff is just too old. I figure going forward PS4 onward should be included, if console manufacturers are going the way of the PC. 

I guess Sony earns far more with remasters and remakes than they would with putting BC for PS1-3.

LurkerJ said:
All the generation defining games from the HD twins era (lol), how few they may be, were remastered or ported to the PS4 anyway, except for Demon's Souls... oh wait

Exactly what I think. I prefer to play the games with a lot of improvements (remakes preffered and remastered if only option) than play BC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

The last few weeks your insecurities have really been showing.

sales2099 said:
KingJames said:

But no one cares about Xbox backwards compatibility.  Seriously.  If backwards compatibility was that important, what Microsoft and its acolytes have been preaching all along would have been accurate if the Xbox had outsold the PS4.  But no where close.  Then you have Nintendo's backwards compatibility.  Everyone cares for that.  And if you don't, you don't matter anyway.  Nintendo is a staple, and icon of gaming history.  No one can take that away. You want millions of teenagers to experience the past, you educate them with Nintendo.