By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 4000+ games backwards compatible Day 1. PSN library carries over to PS5

this was know forever but some trolls tried to say only few games would be bc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Good, now I just need to wait for a PS5 that has a disc drive, isn't absolutely hideous, isn't larger than my TV, and is affordable.

It's gonna happen.

If your tv is smaller than the PS5, you really don't need one. Stick to the Wii, that should look fine on it :p

mZuzek said:

Good, now I just need to wait for a PS5 that has a disc drive, isn't absolutely hideous, isn't larger than my TV, and is affordable.

It's gonna happen.

Do you play on 11" tv?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

rapsuperstar31 said:
Hopefully Robinson The Journey can be patched at some point, It could really use the smoother frame rate of the PS5 for the motion sickness. I bought it cheaply years ago and the atmosphere is pretty awesome, but didn't get far into it feeling sick playing it.

That won't help, it's already 120hz low latency on ps4. It's re-projected from 60 fps, however that has less latency than native 120 fps. Start with something more stationary to develop your VR legs. Statik is pretty good and static, Astrobot and Moss are amazing without much movement.

DonFerrari said:

I don't understand how anyone could say this, though. Like...the first thing they said about it was that it was going to include an 'overwhelming majority' of games. 

Personally, this is exciting more for my roommate than for me. We have my PS4 upstairs in the game room, her PS4 in the Living room, and she has a TV in the basement but nothing hooked up to it because she basically lives in the living room. However, given backwards compatibility and the fact that I have a 4TB External Drive, I can literally replace her PS4 with my PS5, download all both of our games, give us each a login, and now we have PS consoles on every floor in the house! 

She's also gonna take her Switch Dock downstairs, as mine is upstairs and I'll get a spare in the living room. I might also get an Xbox Series X, but not for a few years at the least. I do want one, but given my financial situation, it's not a high priority. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

I don't understand how anyone could say this, though. Like...the first thing they said about it was that it was going to include an 'overwhelming majority' of games. 

Personally, this is exciting more for my roommate than for me. We have my PS4 upstairs in the game room, her PS4 in the Living room, and she has a TV in the basement but nothing hooked up to it because she basically lives in the living room. However, given backwards compatibility and the fact that I have a 4TB External Drive, I can literally replace her PS4 with my PS5, download all both of our games, give us each a login, and now we have PS consoles on every floor in the house! 

She's also gonna take her Switch Dock downstairs, as mine is upstairs and I'll get a spare in the living room. I might also get an Xbox Series X, but not for a few years at the least. I do want one, but given my financial situation, it's not a high priority. 

Well the only way they could say was by trolling. Because what reason would Sony have to include silicon for the BC of both PS4 and Pro to only have 100 games on BC?

DonFerrari said:

Well the only way they could say was by trolling. Because what reason would Sony have to include silicon for the BC of both PS4 and Pro to only have 100 games on BC?

right? Would be silly. Personally I did sort of expect 1 or 2 of my games to be non backwards compatible (I figured Rock Band with all its licensed music would be a big one), but yeah, this list is even better than I expected. 

I also agree that you really only have to go back one generation at a time. I loved the PS3, but I'm not playing PS3 games anymore. If I want to...I have a PS3 for that. If it matters, keep your old console. if you don't value backwards compatibility, then...you know, that's your choice to make. Then again I'm a collector and have an SNES, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, Wii, WiiU, Switch, Xbox 360, and Xbox One all currently hooked up to multiple Television sets throughout the house, so I am certainly an outlier. 

But PS4 games? I still have a handful of PS4 games I've not gotten around to playing and it'll be quite nice to be able to finally get to them in 4k or with boost mode. I've never played Ghost of Tsushima despite getting it at launch, I've not finished Horizon Zero Dawn, I've not played Spider-Man Homecoming and I already preordered the Miles Morales Deluxe edition so I'll be getting the remaster. I realize my experience is not the same as many, but I think one of the reasons I'm so vehemently defending Sony in this console transition is becuase they're doing literally everything right in my eyes. All these negatives people are saying like how Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West are cross-generational just aren't negatives to me, ESPECIALLY not with all this mention of free PS5 upgrades. Every step of the way from the quiet system to the fast loading times prioritized over raw computing power to the backwards compatibility to the controller to the exclusives and the launch year lineup and all that jazz, I haven't seen any missteps worth worrying about. Yeah, there are a few blunders but I can't think of any at this time. 

the PS5 is tickling me pink and I'm remarkably excited to use it as a way to get a better experience on games I already love as well as experiencing new games I never found the time to play but in HD. Seriously, I'm stoked. I'm very happy with how they're handling it. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

right? Would be silly. Personally I did sort of expect 1 or 2 of my games to be non backwards compatible (I figured Rock Band with all its licensed music would be a big one), but yeah, this list is even better than I expected. 

I also agree that you really only have to go back one generation at a time. I loved the PS3, but I'm not playing PS3 games anymore. If I want to...I have a PS3 for that. If it matters, keep your old console. if you don't value backwards compatibility, then...you know, that's your choice to make. Then again I'm a collector and have an SNES, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, Wii, WiiU, Switch, Xbox 360, and Xbox One all currently hooked up to multiple Television sets throughout the house, so I am certainly an outlier. 

But PS4 games? I still have a handful of PS4 games I've not gotten around to playing and it'll be quite nice to be able to finally get to them in 4k or with boost mode. I've never played Ghost of Tsushima despite getting it at launch, I've not finished Horizon Zero Dawn, I've not played Spider-Man Homecoming and I already preordered the Miles Morales Deluxe edition so I'll be getting the remaster. I realize my experience is not the same as many, but I think one of the reasons I'm so vehemently defending Sony in this console transition is becuase they're doing literally everything right in my eyes. All these negatives people are saying like how Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West are cross-generational just aren't negatives to me, ESPECIALLY not with all this mention of free PS5 upgrades. Every step of the way from the quiet system to the fast loading times prioritized over raw computing power to the backwards compatibility to the controller to the exclusives and the launch year lineup and all that jazz, I haven't seen any missteps worth worrying about. Yeah, there are a few blunders but I can't think of any at this time. 

the PS5 is tickling me pink and I'm remarkably excited to use it as a way to get a better experience on games I already love as well as experiencing new games I never found the time to play but in HD. Seriously, I'm stoked. I'm very happy with how they're handling it. 

Yes I wasn`t expecting that more than 99% of the games would be fine on BC with such a small list of exclusions, and none are games that many people would really mind.

BC is a nice feature, but myself I have kept the older consoles but not power them up, I much rather play a remastered than replaying the same game. So the BC on Series X is really good imho, just need to see how they will play out.

And yes will be good to play for the first time on a superior performance so I think you are going to have a very good first year.

KingJames said:

Sony isn't offering its entire company legacy as backwards compatibility, Microsoft did that to help save the Xbox One and ultimately have kept it as a main feature to ensure Xbox Console longevity. Previous generation backwards compatibility is all you truly need in a new console.

Sure, and also fair to say Xbox was always x86 based with fairly conventional PC architectures for the most part, so backwards compatiblity was always fairly EASY, in comparison to Sony bouncing between bespoke architectures most recently with PS3/Cell. That's a totally different situation in regards compatibility and emulation, and ignoring that really doesn't give any credibility to talk about the subject. Obviously with PS4->PS5 Sony is sticking with x64 and AMD so that is comparably easy matter in terms of backwards compatibility. Who knows what the future will bring, perhaps Sony will move to ARM and other GPU architecture, which would bring compatibility issues although not necessarily insurmountable. I believe I recall something about the CPU or GPU design in PS5 going out of it's way to allow for easy backwards compatibility in way that pure nextgen processor design wouldn't need to, but is still reasonable to allow those legacy pathways without compromising performance. Cerny mentioned that as something "baked in" unlike PS3 containing PS2 chip (until it was dropped in later SKUs).

KingJames said:
sales2099 said:
Thought we knew this? PS4 only and not PS1-PS3. I mean if there was any confusion I’m glad we all on the same page. Just isn’t very impressive imo.

Sony isn't offering its entire company legacy as backwards compatibility, Microsoft did that to help save the Xbox One and ultimately have kept it as a main feature to ensure Xbox Console longevity. Previous generation backwards compatibility is all you truly need in a new console. "Just isn't very impressive imo" lmfaaaoo

Just how I see it. One company goes 2 generations further back then the other. The reasoning you gave doesn’t change the results. Imo the 360/PS3 gen was one of the best. And for certain games I’ve still not yet tried or for millions of teenagers getting into gaming recently, they will benefit from the availability.

I said my piece briefly but you called me out so here you go. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.