By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5's First Year Games Lineup Looks Amazing!

Signalstar said:
mjk45 said:

BEEP wrong answer -8pts  so far we have JWeinCom leading with minus 1 from Leynos with a pitiful minus 8 , so it looks like such an easy question needs a clue , hint it's very announcement became a meme . 

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACER!

We have a winner and not only did Signalstar get the 5pts he got the bonus million Pts for spelling it out properly and to also make sure he had enough points to cover Leynos's silly 9999 pts claim if he appeals.

Now I know you're thinking that 1 million bonus is overkill, but I know that the appeals court judge is mjk45 and he likes imaginary sequels of good games except MGR isn't and usually multiples the claim by ten so I ... I mean you still win.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Manlytears said:
mjk45 said:
Nope no good at all but with the addition one game it could be perfect now who can guess that game?

Are you talking about Knack 3?

BEEP wrong  but a nice try Knack could be seen as the spiritual successor to the game so 2pts and second place.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Runa216 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

How? 

Are you being serious right now? Have you not played God of War 2018? the combat feels weighty and balanced like Dark Souls (it actually is one of the main reasons I got into the game) and there's plenty of gear and weapon and special move customization that makes it RPG-like. It's not a 1:1 comparison, but I feel a lot of the combat and overall play style of God of War was inspired heavily by Dark Souls. 

It sure as hell wasn't inspired by God of War 1-3 on PS2/3

Dark Souls combat "feels" nothing like God of War's, though that is kind of an abstract concept to argue over anyways. I'll just say that, God of War has more weight to it for the most part, but is simultaneously also significantly more floaty as it has things like movement-assist (where Kratos and/or his enemies movements will literally auto-correct their positioning to connect hits). It's also not about customizing the amount of weight the character has, or how the character feels to control, unlike in Dark Souls. And the camera systems are nearly completely different, aside from just sharing the basic similarity of being third person games. 

Regardless, the question was about how the roleplaying aspects are similar, and they really aren't similar at all. Dark Souls is much more akin to a classic RPG in it's leveling system (like a CRPG, or even something like Shin Megami Tensei). In Dark Souls you just pick which stats you want to upgrade, and distribute integers into them. In God of War, your levels are entirely based on your gear ... which ... I don't know, aside from the visual representation of numbers literally going up, is about as different from Dark Souls as you could get. In Dark Souls your base stats, and by extension how you distribute level ups, affect what gear you can use. In God of War your level is decided by your gear. It's a big difference. Dark Souls is about committing to a build and making tough choices. God of War is about changing what you wear and specialize in on the fly. 

Even the way the overworld is connected isn't really similar. From what I remember in God of War you have to teleport to a decent amount of locations that aren't connected to the rest of the world, whereas in Dark Souls there's only one disconnected location. And the areas that are connected in GOW are usually done so in such a linear fashion that you just go down the same path - which is almost the exact opposite of Dark Souls design philosophy. Not to mention you never have to use something as boring as a boat to traverse in Dark Souls, it's all gameplay. 

I get you probably just meant the general idea of an action RPG with an emphasis on RPG mechanics but to be honest they aren't really as analogous as they probably seem. 

Runa216 said:

Are you being serious right now? Have you not played God of War 2018? the combat feels weighty and balanced like Dark Souls (it actually is one of the main reasons I got into the game) and there's plenty of gear and weapon and special move customization that makes it RPG-like. It's not a 1:1 comparison, but I feel a lot of the combat and overall play style of God of War was inspired heavily by Dark Souls. 

It sure as hell wasn't inspired by God of War 1-3 on PS2/3

Dark Souls combat "feels" nothing like God of War's, though that is kind of an abstract concept to argue over anyways. I'll just say that, God of War has more weight to it for the most part, but is simultaneously also significantly more floaty as it has things like movement-assist (where Kratos and/or his enemies movements will literally auto-correct their positioning to connect hits). It's also not about customizing the amount of weight the character has, or how the character feels to control, unlike in Dark Souls. And the camera systems are nearly completely different, aside from just sharing the basic similarity of being third person games. 

Regardless, the question was about how the roleplaying aspects are similar, and they really aren't similar at all. Dark Souls is much more akin to a classic RPG in it's leveling system (like a CRPG, or even something like Shin Megami Tensei). In Dark Souls you just pick which stats you want to upgrade, and distribute integers into them. In God of War, your levels are entirely based on your gear ... which ... I don't know, aside from the visual representation of numbers literally going up, is about as different from Dark Souls as you could get. In Dark Souls your base stats, and by extension how you distribute level ups, affect what gear you can use. In God of War your level is decided by your gear. It's a big difference. Dark Souls is about committing to a build and making tough choices. God of War is about changing what you wear and specialize in on the fly. 

Even the way the overworld is connected isn't really similar. From what I remember in God of War you have to teleport to a decent amount of locations that aren't connected to the rest of the world, whereas in Dark Souls there's only one disconnected location. And the areas that are connected in GOW are usually done so in such a linear fashion that you just go down the same path - which is almost the exact opposite of Dark Souls design philosophy. Not to mention you never have to use something as boring as a boat to traverse in Dark Souls, it's all gameplay. 

I get you probably just meant the general idea of an action RPG with an emphasis on RPG mechanics but to be honest they aren't really as analogous as they probably seem. 

I'm genuinely curious if you've played these games, because I have and I got platinum on all of them. All three Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and God of War. I've gone through each game multiple times and the things you're saying about them just aren't correct. 

I also said it FELT like Dark Souls, not that it WAS identical to dark souls. I'm not talking about the subtle mechanics and camera angles and all that jazz. I said the combat systems felt the same, which they do and I am not the only one to say that. I wasn't planning on a dissertation about the differences in mechanics and in case you hadn't noticed, terminology like saying I 'feel' something is clearly subjective. Not objective. At this point it's kinda clear you're just looking to argue with me for the sake of arguing because I said I felt something that you don't feel. 

God of War 2018's combat feels weighty and the added RPG elements remind me of Dark Souls even if the two aren't the same. It feels similar, that's all I was trying to say, because to me it does. Saying the two have differences is certainly true, I was never contesting that, but it doesn't mean the two don't feel similar.

World design is irrelevant, I was never trying to argue that point, you brought that up. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

I'm genuinely curious if you've played these games, because I have and I got platinum on all of them. All three Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and God of War. I've gone through each game multiple times and the things you're saying about them just aren't correct. 

I also said it FELT like Dark Souls, not that it WAS identical to dark souls. I'm not talking about the subtle mechanics and camera angles and all that jazz. I said the combat systems felt the same, which they do and I am not the only one to say that. I wasn't planning on a dissertation about the differences in mechanics and in case you hadn't noticed, terminology like saying I 'feel' something is clearly subjective. Not objective. At this point it's kinda clear you're just looking to argue with me for the sake of arguing because I said I felt something that you don't feel. 

God of War 2018's combat feels weighty and the added RPG elements remind me of Dark Souls even if the two aren't the same. It feels similar, that's all I was trying to say, because to me it does. Saying the two have differences is certainly true, I was never contesting that, but it doesn't mean the two don't feel similar.

World design is irrelevant, I was never trying to argue that point, you brought that up. 

I like how you changed the core of your point to how the game "feels" to play when the original point brought up was much less abstract. 

Let me remind you on what I questioned: 

God of War is a sequel to the best-selling and most beloved game in the God of War franchise, a weighty action-adventure game with RPG elements akin to Dark souls.

This has nothing to do with "feeling", with the "feel" of combat or anything. You initially said that God of War's RPG elements were "akin to Dark Souls", that's what I questioned you on. And when questioned you changed the topic to how the games combat/movement felt, even though that had nothing to do with the original quote. And not only that, but all I did was, literally, ask a question, yet you were immediately hostile and condescending. That's also why I had to add in the topic of world design, because the fact that you had already completely changed course from talking about RPG mechanics to combat "feel" meant that you could easily change to an entirely different topic when your points were further questioned. Regardless, it's funny to me that you completely forgot what your original comment said, when this discussion hasn't even gotten long winded. 

I think the fact that I brought up actual specific differences about the game, differences that you say you can contest but clearly haven't, shows that I played the games well enough. Especially because these differences are things that are quite literally verifiable just by playing the games: the way the level up systems work, the way the camera systems work, the way the character movement works, these are all verifiably different. It's not even up for debate, so I'm curious as to the line "things you're saying about them just aren't correct." Because I just stated facts about how the games work. The weight of the games is subjective, and how you interpret the similarity between these games is obviously subjective, no one is denying that. At the same time, questioning something someone says, and then elaborating on how it's a weird take does not mean someone believes you are objectively wrong, it's just a discussion of opinions. Which you know ... is the point of a forum.

Around the Network
akin
adjective after verb ]
UK  
 /əˈkɪn/ US  
 /əˈkɪn/
having some of the same qualities
They speak a language akin to French.
 Thesaurus: synonyms, antonyms, and examples
  • similarI have a sofa quite similar to yours.
  • likeShe's a lot like her mother.
  • alikeThe girls look alike.
  • closeMy cousin and I are quite close in age.
  • something likeI was worried something like this would happen.

Hynad said:
akin
adjective after verb ]
UK  
 /əˈkɪn/ US  
 /əˈkɪn/

Runa still hasn't explained a single way the RPG elements are similar, which was the initial point of the questioning: for them to elaborate on the similarities. If they can't or don't bring them up, which they haven't, then this comment doesn't make sense. Regardless, Runa clearly doesn't need to be coddled, they can think and argue for themselves. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 07 October 2020

Hynad said:
akin
adjective after verb ]
UK  
 /əˈkɪn/ US  
 /əˈkɪn/

Runa still hasn't explained a single way the RPG elements are similar, which was the initial point of the questioning: for them to elaborate on the similarities. If they can't or don't bring them up, which they haven't, then this comment doesn't make sense. Regardless, Runa clearly doesn't need to be coddled, they can think and argue for themselves. 

If you don’t want people to comment on your tirade, take it to DMs.

Hynad said:

If you don’t want people to comment on your tirade, take it to DMs.

The tirade of asking someone a question and then getting condescending responses. Ok. 

No matter how some might try to spin it - yes, PS5 launch line up is overkilling The best of all PS consoles for now.