By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware September 20 to 26 - Switch Sales Drop 100,000 Units Week-on-Week

The sharp decline for Switch in Japan just screams "stock issues" to me.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

The Xbox One S is the only model left now, and it should be able to make the lifetime total of 50 million.

Doubt it

trunkswd said:
elazz said:
Not to troll but if Game Pass is said to be so amazing shouldn't it have had an affect on xbox sales throughout 2020? The difference, even in US is huge in favor of ps4 which I still selling strong with PS5 about to release.
Game Pass does have amazing value but it is nothing for me really after having the pc version for half a year. And I think because a big group of people still prefer to pay 60 bucks for a game like God of War (or just wait till it gets a ps hits discount) than get a year of game pass. It's also the reason why I think that series consoles won't sell more as the Xbox ones but similar.

All consoles saw a huge boost from March through the middle of the summer. All of them are fairly supply-constrained at the moment. Nintendo can't ship enough Switch consoles to keep up with demand, and Sony and Microsoft have shifted their focus to get as many PS5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles available as possible at launch.

That, and the fact that you can get Game Pass on PC means some don't even need a console anymore to play those games.

Top Years through 39 Weeks (VGC Data)

That last 3DS stock is being plundered while it lasts since they announced its discontinuation. We'll find out it's final sales at the next quarterly report, it'll be either 75.9m or 76m.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 October 2020

Around the Network
elazz said:
Not to troll but if Game Pass is said to be so amazing shouldn't it have had an affect on xbox sales throughout 2020? The difference, even in US is huge in favor of ps4 which I still selling strong with PS5 about to release.
Game Pass does have amazing value but it is nothing for me really after having the pc version for half a year. And I think because a big group of people still prefer to pay 60 bucks for a game like God of War (or just wait till it gets a ps hits discount) than get a year of game pass. It's also the reason why I think that series consoles won't sell more as the Xbox ones but similar.

PSnow has just as good of a library after looking at the lists recently (I don't sub to either) and if Sony added all their 18 month or older PS exclusives (which are probably all down to $20 at that point and have sold the vast majority of what they're going to sell) they could make it look REALLY good.  Like I don't get why they don't push that more.

I am Iron Man

Dulfite said:
elazz said:

PC is why, and now mobile with xcloud. Xbox hardware sales no longer matter that much.

then why the hell are they pricing so aggressively and obsessed with being more powerful?  Surely they could price higher and make profits on whatever hardware they sold if they didn't care about hardware sales.

I am Iron Man

VGC tracking for USA Sep 2020 is at 606K through 4 of the 5 counted NPD weeks. So expecting ~760K after next week's numbers.

NPD actuals are on 10/16/2020 - if we hit that number above we've got a new record.

Looks like the cliff is here.

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Dulfite said:

PC is why, and now mobile with xcloud. Xbox hardware sales no longer matter that much.

then why the hell are they pricing so aggressively and obsessed with being more powerful?  Surely they could price higher and make profits on whatever hardware they sold if they didn't care about hardware sales.

They will do whatever it takes to increase GamePass subscribers. If they could give the Xbox away for a guarunteed massive increase in GamePass subscribers they probably would lol.