By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Great gameplay, shame about the graphics

curl-6 just made a thread about games with great graphics, but crappy gameplay. Now don't get me wrong, gameplay trumps graphics. But I thought a thread with the opposite premise would be interesting. What games have mediocre to awful graphics, but really enjoyable gameplay?

Last edited by Wman1996 - on 26 September 2020

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Stardew Valley

Not "really" enjoyable but the campaign of Homefront was quite decent. Graphics were fucking awful though. The resolution was so low (576p) everything looked incredibly blurry.

Last edited by Barozi - on 26 September 2020

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Yes it can look pretty at times but more often than not...

It certainly has a lot of fap worthy visual moments but hot damn a lot of sections also look horrible. The gameplay was amazing though.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

objectively I guess minecraft doesnt have "good graphics" but wow its really fun.
Probably every pokemon game ever

Around the Network

Xenoblade on Wii. great art design. Great RPG. Technically hideous. Art hid a lot of the technical shortcomings but the character models. Could not hide how ugly those are.
I also will say Platinum Games of the 7th generation. I feel they have a charm and I like them but I know many thought they were ugly. They did have a brown and dirty look to them.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leasure suit larry

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Rocket League needs an engine update badly. Could be so much prettier and performant.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Xenoblade Chronicles is very ugly on Wii. It's just another reason why I'll probably play the Definitive Edition one day, in addition to the DE adding casual mode.
Animal Crossing on GameCube. The graphics have a charm to them thanks to the art style. And a lot of it is forgiven since it is an N64 port. By N64 standards, the graphics are pretty good to great. But for the GameCube, it looks crappy. Crazy to think that they even made Animal Forest e+ in 2003 in Japan and still didn't enhance the graphics.
To a much lesser extent, Animal Crossing: City Folk. The gameplay isn't particularly great or amazing, and the graphics aren't crappy by Wii standards. But they still could've looked better than they did.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Most indie games in a nutshell.