By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Great gameplay, shame about the graphics

Another one I overlooked; Xenoblade 2.

Horribly ugly game, but thankfully its story, combat, and music and good enough to override its visual hideousness.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 September 2020

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Horribly ugly game, but thankfully its story, combat, and music and good enough to override its visual hideousness.

Not ugly at all. Quite a good looking game unless you mean resolution then yeah otherwise has good textures and world. Nice art. Colorful. All the Xeno games on Switch look good.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

Not ugly at all. Quite a good looking game unless you mean resolution then yeah otherwise has good textures and world. Nice art. Colorful. All the Xeno games on Switch look good.

I disagree, it wasn't just the resolution, the textures were also muddy as hell, the characters were the most horribly generic animu design tropes, and the stylistic clash between them and the more realistic environments was jarring.

Hotline Miami. The artstyle is awful and the throwback pixel art is ugly as sin. Still, thats a part of its charm. And is a blast to play .

Rage on pc. Great gameplay, shoddy console ported graphics.

Around the Network

People talking about Fire Emblem Three Houses, I think much worse than sloppy graphics, models or animations is the static backgrounds and the lack of cut-scenes in Crimson Flower's route. This game was more ambitious than their budget and schedule allowed it to be

IcaroRibeiro said:
Stardew Valley

The pixle art look of it isnt bad is it?

Monster Hunter 4.
Good game but yikes, it's ugly as shit.

I'm going to ignore games that have "bad graphics" just because they are old.  Here are some really fun games that had umimpressive graphics even when they were brand new.

Katamari Damacy
Tetris
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Minecraft
Castle Crashers
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
Minesweeper
Dragon Quest Builders
Undertale
Untitled Goose Game
Cadence of Hyrule
Dead Cells
Wargroove
Pixeljunk Monsters
Super Mario Bros (looked dated compared to arcade games)
Suikoden (reviewers complained it was 2D.  Heh, it aged so much better than most PS1 games.)

Basically graphics only matter a little.  Pretty graphics are a nice enhancement, but they don't make or break a game.  Gameplay, controls, interface, setting, etc... these things actually matter a lot more than graphics.

Two Worlds 2 comes to mind.

The visuals looked a generation behind and it was a sequel to a HORRIBLE game...but the gameplay of Two Worlds Two was great, and really suprised me. I had a lot of fun with that very underrated WRPG.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261