By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Cloud Gaming portably affect the Switch's appeal and success?

Will Cloud Gaming Portable affect the Switch's success and appeal?

Yes, it will kill the Switch 1 2.22%

It will, the Switch will sell noticeably less 1 2.22%

Barely 9 20.00%

Cloud Gaming won't affect... 34 75.56%

Total:45

I think it will impact the switch in the long run (like, Switch 2 might have some trouble). But, it's not going to do much of anything to Switch right now. We're still too early in the streaming days for it to have a serious impact.

Around the Network
Louie said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Why are you guys keep this narrative that Switch is a portable when it's a hybrid. It's the hardware main selling point. Lite had exactly the same specs of Standard Switch and is 100 USD less expensive, if public was that earger for portable models Lite was supposed to be at least outselling the standard Switch 

We are not claiming the Switch is a full-blown portable machine at all. Of course it is a hybrid. That's our point. The console being a hybrid (= can also be used as a portable) is a selling point of the Switch. If your claim was true that people moved to mobile, customers would think the Switch being a hybrid is a bad thing and would actively avoid the Switch because of this. In fact, that's exactly what many people argued before the Switch released: "It's a hybrid and people don't want to play portably because mobile gaming has killed dedicated handheld gaming. Therefore, the Switch is going to fail".

In reality, there was always huge demand for handheld gaming. It was just one Nintendo handheld that underperformed, the 3DS. It is absolutely impossible to draw from this the conclusion that mobile has killed dedicated handheld gaming. That's like saying "it rained yesterday, therefore the sun will never shine again". In reality the 3DS underperformed because of the usual reasons consoles fail: It was too expensive at launch for what it offered. It offered a gimmick (3D) people didn't like. And it lacked good games at first (the first really big 3DS game was Ocarina of Time 3D, a remake and months after launch).

The story that "mobile killed dedicated handhelds" was always wrong. Just like "the casualz now play on mobile!", which was always given as the reason the Wii U failed. In 2017/2018 people claimed Nintendo should concentrate on hardcore games to make the Switch successful because "the casuals have moved on". Fast forward to 2020 and - obviously - the Switch is selling like crazy because of games like Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure, games that appeal to casual players and women.

Also, your example of Switch Lite sales does not fly: The Switch Lite is a less expensive version with less features. Of course it sells less than the main unit, you can't even play system sellers like Ring fit Adventure on the model! Software sells hardware! The real question is: How well would a home console only Switch sell? And the answer is: Very badly, because as a pure home console the Switch is not very attractive. Nintendo's success comes from owning the portable market right now.

Again, you are the one who claims mobile heavily affected dedicated handheld sales by using a sample size of one handheld (3DS) which obviously failed for other reasons. That's all the evidence you got. So the burden is on you to prove that handheld play is not a selling point of the Switch and that mobile has actually affected dedicated handhelds. Because if mobile truly had strongly affected dedicated handheld gaming, people would actively avoid the Switch as its mobility wouldn't be a selling point. In reality, the reverse is true: The Switch is selling because it is also a handheld.

I think I need to emphasize that I don't agree smartphone gaming killed handheld gaming, it's a stretch. I only agree mobile hurted traditional portable gaming by... a lot, and numbers don't lie:

DS + PSP sales = 233 million 

3DS + Vita sales = 91 million 

For Switch, breakdown is a little more complicated, I'm in a rush and can't find accurate data now, so be free to correct anything. Currently Standard-Lite sales ratio are 1:2. I'm sure this ratio will decrease, as this is the first year of Lite and Standard production was highly affected by covid, but I'll pretend nothing of this happened and Lite is going to sell half of standard Switch forever 

Making a conservative 130 million life times sales prediction for Switch and keep in mind currently we have 52 million sales for standard and 9 for Lite, this will lead to a 45 million sales left/97 million total for standard and 23 million left/31 million total for Lite 

By 2017, 20% of Switch owners mostly play docked, 30% mostly play handheld and 50% play both styles. I have no idea how this percentage looks like now, should be lesser for handheld players, as they now have Lite, but ok, let's bet it's still the same ratio. 30% of 97 million predicted sales from standard Switch is about 29 million sales. 

29+31 million, will be the true size of handheld players on Switch ecosystem. Those would buy a handheld-only hardware if Switch hybrid never existed  

19 million, are docked players. Those won't bother with handheld 

And 48 million are buying because it's a hybrid. Some of us would by a handheld-only hardware, some wouldn't 

The point is even if we add ALL 48 million hybrid players into handheld players group, it is still not even half of DS+PSP sales and as I said, not all of hybrid players would buy a dedicated handheld so it's a reach 

Funny thing, 3DS+U numbers are very close to handheld only+docked only on Switch. Not saying those owners are all the same, but it shows how much hybrid aspect helps Switch sales 

Either Switch alone sells 250 million or we have for 2 generations in row handheld market with half the size of what it used to be

But sure, it's more convenient believe a forgettable gimmick (3DS) was the reason for decrease in sales

There is a reason why games like Nintendogs, Brain Age and puzzle games aren't a thing on Switch. The Switch board game with a hundred or so games don't meet nowhere near this kind of sucess. Why? Because games like that, that were popular on DS can be perfectly replicated in mobile

Smartphones moved handheld gamers away from dedicated hardware. You can lie to themselves as much as you please, but in a market with steadily growth in pretty much all sub-markets having a single specific segment (portable dedicated hardware) that is decreasing is a clear sign of gamers moving away from this segment to another  

(cut for better readability) 

I see where you are coming from, but you can't just add up numbers like this. As I said, there was one Nintendo handheld that sold less than its predecessor. That's not enough of a sample size to declare that mobile gaming hurt dedicated handhelds a lot.

- Trump won the last presidential election. Can we therefore assume Democrats will never win the Presidency ever again?

- Nintendo lost the last gen with the Wii U. Can we therefore assume all future Nintendo consoles will fail? (That's exactly what people claimed in 2017, by the way)

- Today is a sunny day. Can we therefore assume every day from now on will be a sunny day?

In short: Using very small sample sizes is one of the most common mistakes when trying to analyse numbers. Correlation /= Causation. Instead, let us look at the handheld market and its important contenders in general:

Gameboy (+ Color) = 120m units 

Gameboy Advance = 80m units 

DS + PSP = 250m units

3DS + Vita: 90m units

Switch: Maybe 130m units in the end?

The Gameboy (+ Color) were on the market for roughly ten years. The handheld market was pretty stable in the 90s, then Pokémon came along and sales increased. The GBA continued the trend and sold well but not as well as the DS or the Switch. In the mid 2000s Sony and Nintendo both put lots of resources into the handheld market and, of course, the market increased in size a lot, especially due to Nintendo catering to mass market customers. Then the 3DS and PS Vita (both rather unappealing handhelds compared to their predecessors) sold a lot less. And now the Switch, the only console that can also be played in portable mode, is selling like gangbusters. Where is the causation? You only looked at a sample size of one and drew a conclusion, but looking at the history of the handheld market clearly shows the dedicated handheld market has always been the size it is right now: The DS and PSP were the one exception, not the rule! But you ignore every other generation and only focus on DS and PSP... and then you cut Switch numbers in half to prove your point even though every single Switch can be played in handheld mode.

Also, look at yearly sales: The DS still sold over 20m units in 2010. More than the PS4 ever sold in a single year! Christmas week 2010 the DS sold 1.5m units in a single week, as high as the PS4 and PS2 ever achieved. Then, in February 2011 the 3DS hit the market and handheld sales plummeted. So you are telling me this was caused by mobile games? On December 25th 2010 everything was fine for dedicated handhelds and over the course of 8 weeks, mobile gaming had severely damaged dedicated handhelds? Or was it rather that the 3DS had a high price, no games at launch and a 3D feature people didn't like?

As for the other things: Despite what you claimed, I never said the decrease in sales during the 3DS era was due to a gimmick. I said it was a combination of high price, lack of games and unappealing hardware (due to 3D) which caused it. And Nintendo seems to agree: They took away the 3D feature from a console that even had "3D" in its name because they realised people were turned off by 3D and didn't value it.

RolStoppable said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Let's be fair to this one, it didn't kill it, but 3Ds selling half of DS shows it affected handheld market to a point they will never recover 

3D did more damage to the 3DS than mobile could ever dream of.

If you want to be fair, you should tell how you'll count Switch. Probably not in a fair way when you've already drawn the conclusion of no recovery.

In gen 7 the handheld console market was 235m units. In gen 8 it was 92m units. Are you sure that shrinkage was because of 3D?

Louie said:

In the 90's, gaming market was just much smaller than nowadays 

If you want to argue handheld market is now as big as it was 30 years ago, then ok, I agree. But with people getting more rich, gaming becoming more accessible, population growth, other markets starting being explored yada yada I thought the natural path was to handheld market grown as well 

I don't understand why you are ignoring the fact that even with Switch selling humungous amounts of hardware handheld sales are nowhere near its peak and those gamers went to smartphone gaming and will just never come back again 

Unless you don't count those costumers as handheld gamers, as they only bought DS and PSP and never bothered buying a dedicated hardware again

Around the Network

The 3DS only had a high price for like 3 months, it was $169.99 after that had and soon had several games that should have been system sellers -- Nintendogs, Mario Kart 7, and Super Mario 3D Land.

Even if you don't like 3D, it takes literally 2 seconds to turn it off forever, as easy as adjusting the volume.

Smartphone gaming boomed explosively in 2010-2011-2012, the first blockbuster smartphone game, Angry Birds only release in December 2009 and took a few months to gain word of mouth, but once that became a giant hit, it put smartphone gaming on the map and everyone and their grandma knew you just going into the App Store and not only can you find basic functionality apps, but there's a whole ecosystem of free to play games.

The App Store initially was not supposed to be some kind of gaming market, it was supposed to be where Apple would release new functionality apps like a new Note Pad or something like that, no one really could forsee the gaming part of it becoming that huge. 

Smartphone sales also exploded during this time going from 172 million in 2009 to 472 million for the year of 2011, in particular, iPhone sales went from 20.7 million in 2009 to 72.3 million in 2011. To put 472 million in perspective, that's almost equal to full 7-8 year sales of the DS + PSP + Wii + 360 + PS3 combined in just one year, lol. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 26 September 2020

RolStoppable said:
chakkra said:

In gen 7 the handheld console market was 235m units. In gen 8 it was 92m units. Are you sure that shrinkage was because of 3D?

First off, I was only addressing the 3DS in my post, not the PlayStation side of the handheld market. Secondly, I said that 3D did more damage to the 3DS than mobile which doesn't rule out mobile as a factor nor does it rule out other things that could play a role in the decline.

And yes, it was the 3D that led to a high price tag and low battery life for the 3DS. This along with the initial software drought of the 3DS were the main causes for the low 3DS sales, not mobile gaming. The 3DS was seen as bad value because the tradeoff of 3D in favor of battery life wasn't worth it. Ultimately, Nintendo ended up releasing 3DS models without 3D (2DS, New 2DS XL) which speaks volumes about a handheld that contained 3D in its name as the signature feature. A generation later Switch launched without 3D at all and among the countless new Switch model rumors over the years, not a single one mentioned the return of a 3D screen.

As for the handheld market on the whole, the damage that mobile gaming caused was first and foremost based on the big flawed assumption by third parties that mobile gaming could replace handheld gaming. Development resources were allocated accordingly, so mobile saw a lot more investment than handheld. This wrecked the PlayStation handheld completely because big companies that Sony could count on with the PSP (EA, Take Two, Square-Enix etc.) didn't provide the system sellers that Sony needed in light of their own lacking first party strength; and Nintendo blocked Capcom's Monster Hunter from appearing on the Vita. Nintendo had the first party, so they could sustain their business even without big third party titles.

The view of the gaming industry regarding mobile has changed dramatically since 2009-2010 when decisions for the future were first made and 2015-2017 when it was clear to virtually everyone that selling games on mobile is not sustainable. But by that point it was obviously already too late to go back to the 3DS and especially the Vita. It's Switch which is reaping the benefits of the realization that handheld gaming is here to stay. Consequently, the handheld market is recovering because it's a given that there will be more than 90m Switch units sold that allow portable gaming. Taking this further, the 3DS needed to be sold at a loss by Nintendo for two years to even get to its modest lifetime total while Switch has been a profitable business right out of the gate.

Of course there are Switch units that either never leave their dock or are primarily played at home, but it isn't like previous portable consoles saw the majority of their usage outside of people's own four walls. The biggest selling point of handhelds hasn't been gaming away from home, but rather the flexibility to be played whenever needed, such as when somebody else occupies the TV, playing in bed or whatever else people felt like.

Last point is that the handheld market peaked at ~235m consoles sold and that won't be reached again, but said peak was very circumstantial. The video game industry believed that PlayStation would take over the handheld market just like the PS1 took over the home console market, so we got a unique situation where two handhelds got a rich software lineup which in turn boosted hardware sales, because software sells hardware - I very much doubt that this situation can be replicated, ever. It's completely unreasonable to expect Nintendo alone to sell 235m units of hardware despite Switch being very likely to end up with a software library as rich as the DS and PSP combined. Reason being that the divided software offerings of the DS and PSP resulted in multiconsole ownership whereas people will only need Switch to access all the games.

In the same way, generation 7 had Nintendo sell ~255m consoles (~100m Wiis, ~155m DSes), but we can't realistically expect Switch to match that, because the previous multiconsole ownership of Wii+DS isn't necessary with Switch. However, the software total of Switch should be quite similar to Wii and DS combined (~1.8 billion games sold), with the catch being that it won't be easy to verify because of Nintendo's reporting method. Digital-only games aren't counted in Nintendo's software shipments, but it's self-explanatory that the digital business on Switch is much higher than on the Wii and DS combined. Profit-wise, Switch plays in the same league as Wii and DS combined. It's really only hardware units sold where Nintendo's decision to consolidate home console and handheld console results in a lower ceiling.

In any case, it's already a given that Switch constitutes a rebound and recovery, both in the context of the handheld market (previous gen: ~92m combined) as well as Nintendo-only hardware sales (previous gen: ~90m combined).

I do agree with you here. Maybe Gen 7 was the real outlier and the handheld market was never meant to be 235m; and yes, it is quite possible that the Switch won't be affected at all by Cloud gaming. But I think we should all keep in mind that this is an option that did not exist before in the market; And it is never a good idea to look at a new competition and just say "that's okay, it'll be alright" and keep going as if nothing happens.

I'm sure Nintendo is 100% aware of this because they already evolved by merging their two segments into one, and I'm sure they are looking at the development in the cloud market with a lot more care than some of us are doing it from here.

I can see the Switch Pro having Geforce Now Capabilities. So therefore no I dont think its going to impact Switch. I think Switch is going to adopt it.

drinkandswim said:
I can see the Switch Pro having Geforce Now Capabilities. So therefore no I dont think its going to impact Switch. I think Switch is going to adopt it.

Don't think that really works for Nintendo because Nvidia would have to be willing to share a portion of the profit, otherwise you're just allowing games on your platform and not getting a licensing fee from it. 

Also phones and tablets that support 5G have a large advantage because they'll be able to just connect to a mobile cell network, not just be tied to WiFi. 

Chazore said:
No, I don't see it effecting Switch's success.

The Switch is a portable unit, primarily geared towards gaming, while mobile phones attached to the cloud are primarily designed around making calls, videos, texts and some general purpose apps, and then a small bit of gaming.

The Switch has already proven that there's still a userbase to cater towards, and so far mobile gaming hasn't really butchered it, and so far neither has Stadia, so I don't see Amazon doing it either.

My main concern is if Amazon does gain ground, and Stadia improves, then MS releases theirs, that we'll start seeing more competitors entering the ring. The last thing I want to see is more and more companies gearing up for pure cloud gaming, because I know normies will eventually just mass adopt that over time.
Switch is fine for now, but I think if Cloud gaming really manages to take off proper in a few more yrs, then gaming as a whole is going to evolve to that end point; always online gaming rentals, a gamer's worst nightmare, and a publishers orgasmic wet, long lost dream.

Smartphones have been used for a lot more than just taking calls/texting plus a little extra other stuff that for ages now, that's a very 2008-centric view of how phones are used. 

MS has basically already launched their cloud service, you can play games on it right now, I just did 20 minutes ago, lol (Gears 5 and tried a bit of Streets Of Rage 4 on my Android phone). 

It will be interesting to see what Sony does now, they do have their own service, but I don't think they can compete head to head with MS when MS has to full backing of their board of directors to spend, spend, spend. Bethesda is probably only the beginning, MS will purchase at least one more big time publisher, maybe even 2 or 3 more. 

Microsoft being so aggressive in this field is a game changer, it would be one thing if they just had a streaming service as a side thing, but making Game Pass and letting people basically have several hundred games for only $10 a month including your full 1st/2nd party catalog available day and date (so new releases even) and to let that also be available to be streamed is really, really accelerating where this market probably was supposed to be.