By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good franchises that fell off a cliff in the succeeding generation

The Marvel Vs. Capcom series. Sega Saturn's X-Men Vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Vs. Street Fighter were great and better than the PS1 versions. Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 & 2 were great on Dreamcast. People Say Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 was great on PS3/360. But Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite? Horrible. Jinxed by the name alone. Horrid graphics, especially against the competing game, Dragonball FighterZ, which killed Infinite. So many issues with the game and future planned DLC characters after Venom were canceled.

Hopefully, they'll make a proper MvC4 one day, and not repeat the same mistakes.

Ka-pi96 said:

That's a different thing though. Seems like the thread is about game franchises that were good and/or popular and then collapsed immediately after in the next generation. While you're talking about franchises that basically ceased to exist for awhile and then had a failed attempt at a reboot.

I honestly feel like it doesn't really detract all that much away from the original conversation, though.

Around the Network

Mass Effect Andromeda is actually one of my favorite games of the last few years lol.

Crash Bandicoot? PS1 great, next gen oof. Spyro same thing.

3D Sonic after the Dreamcast. I loved Adventure 2 to pieces and it was such a massive improvement over the already good Adventure 1. Then the series went downhill, some games being better than others but never as great as the Adventure games.

Ok, another example. Pitfall. It's one of the best Atari games. The game that gave Activision a household name. Then we got the sequel the next generation on NES. Super Pitfall (this is pre-SNES) and it's a horrible game! It's like they could not decide if they wanted to make Mario or Pitfall so they merged them together and it just does not work at all. One of the worst NES experiences I played.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

With all the talk about Bethesda, Elder Scrolls comes to mind.

From Skyrim in 7th gen to                                     in 8th gen.

More seriously Oblivion was okay and then Skyrim just made it worse.

Around the Network

This will be an unpopular choice so I’m picking it for that reason, but I feel like all Borderlands after 1 offer nothing unique and are glorified dlc. MCC had a really bad launch which was a new generation for all games included, but it kind of redeemed itself on PC.

kirby007 said:
The switch

Reported for being QuickRick alt.

Sonic 1-3, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic CD on the Genesis gives way to Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic R on the Saturn. Yeesh.

Earthworm Jim on SNES and Genesis gives way to Earthworm Jim 3d.

Final Fantasy 10 and 12 on PS2 are still classic JRPGs, then 13 crashes and burns on PS360 and 14 has to be completely remade to not be utter crap.

Resident Evil Remake, 0, and 4 shine on Gamecube, then 5 and especially 6 go super downhill on PS360.

New Super Mario Brothers. The quality didn't really go down from the DS and Wii to the 3ds and Wii U versions, but there was almost no advancement in the next-gen versions so they felt like lazy cash grabs.

Halo 3 and Reach are considered masterpieces and while 4 gets some flak, I think 5 is the most hated game in the franchise.

Lost odyssey and blue dragon

Mass Effect for the reasons a lot of people have mentioned already. 

DKC. Coming from the fantastic snes trilogy, they followed it with the absolutely awful entry that was DK64.

FF. From the superb FF12 and the somewhat decent FF10 entries of ps2, they followed it with FF13 for ps3, and if it wasnt because Ive played FF2, it'd be the worst in the franchise.

Super Mario 64. Whoops, unpopular opinion about a popular game.