Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good franchises that fell off a cliff in the succeeding generation

-The Last of Us. I know it's more an IP than a true series or franchise, considering it only has two games. I don't think The Last of Us Part II is bad, it's an okay game with some redeeming qualities. But it's a large step down from the greatness that was The Last of Us.
-Paper Mario is more of a series within the meta franchise that is Mario. Super Paper Mario was already a step down from the first two games, but it was still great. Then Sticker Star came around and ruined the direction of the Paper Mario games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

3D Mario, from the greatness of 64 in the 5th gen to the underwhelming mediocrity of Sunshine in the 6th.

Man, so much of Nintendo's Gamecube output was a big step down, for me at least.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I don't think Driver has been mentioned yet, so I'll mention it. I've played only the first two myself, but it's obvious from all the reactions that something went wrong when going from the fifth generation to the sixth.

Prince of Persia, from 6th to 7th gen.

Megaman X, true greatness during the 16 bit era, then X4 on PS also great, X5 decent, X6 awful. Then, next gen X7... wtf...

Street Fighter 4 on PS3/360 to Street Fighter 5 on PS4.

Also agree with Mass Effect.

Deus Ex HR to Deus Ex MD also comes to mind.

DragonRouge said:

Prince of Persia, from 6th to 7th gen.

Megaman X, true greatness during the 16 bit era, then X4 on PS also great, X5 decent, X6 awful. Then, next gen X7... wtf...

Street Fighter 4 on PS3/360 to Street Fighter 5 on PS4.

Also agree with Mass Effect.

Deus Ex HR to Deus Ex MD also comes to mind.

Mass Effect declined with 3 so I wouldn't say so (I'm saying that and I enjoyed the game for what it was). Andromeda just nailed the coffin in the series.

I would agree with Mankind Divided, that game was such a disappointment coming from Human Revolution.

Streetfighter 5 too, though six is sounding like a return to form.

This might also be a controversial opinion but the new Tomb Raider reboots after Rise. Oh, and I also forget about Halo 4, the series never was the same after Bungie left.

Around the Network

QuickRick, the new version is less entertaining and denies his origins.

Signature goes here!

Tomb Raider PS1 and then Tomb Raider on PS2 was a massive pile of shit. Angel of Darkness. She does not go to Tombs. It's a broken mess of a game. Originally planned to be episodic. The game tried to be ow the edge. Tho that might be cheating a little since Dreamcast did receive a TR game but I think it was an enhanced PS1 port.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pokemon DS -> 3DS

Yoshi's Island on SNES was one of the best 2D platformers ever made.

Yoshi's Story on the N64 was a tepid, aimless, underwhelming mess.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I want to say Kingdom Hearts because the series went downhill after KH2 (6th gen). I've heard Birth by Sleep was good (never played it), 358/2 Days was decent filler but then Re:coded was unnecesary filler (end of 7th gen) and everything after that is straight out mediocre (DDD and KH3).