By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
LudicrousSpeed said:
Flouff said:

What's frightening IS the long term plan. A company which can support money losses for years to break the market until its service is the only one relevant is a problem. And when that's the case, consumers can't "control" the market anymore ; if the suscription is 50 dollars per month with majority pf GAAS, AA, and copy paste/game, there will be no alternative. That's not a market that will invest hundreds of millions in ambitious AAA. And i can barely see how it will be sustainable for traditional publishers (musical artists payment on streaming plateforms are already a joke).

Maybe a pessimistic view of the global picture, but I feel, in a dramatical way of saying things , like observers who see people elect a despot thinking short terms their problems will be solved.

Reminds me of when EA Access was going to be terrible because EA would lock full games behind it and jack the price up and then every other publisher would follow suit. Within years we’ll have to subscribe to eleven different services for a total of hundreds a month just to be able to play games!

Of course, none of that happened. If GamePass becomes as big a success as you’re worried about, it will be because MS offers a value that people won’t be able to resist. This is bad for consumers? And why would an optional subscription service become the only relevant gaming option? You can still buy all GamePass games outside of the service. Most games still aren’t on GamePass and a lot of the bigger titles that come from third party, come months after launch.

Just seems like a whole lot of worry for no good reason.

I don't think you can compare worries on one publisher that can take that much loss if they make an hypothical anti-consumer first move, and a big corporation than can wait to modify the market until it becomes the way wanted, baiting consumers with great offers (by buying lot of publishers) that cost them money but weight no risk for the company as a whole. Amazon did that, now it's big, nearly everyone buys on it. Well at least it's still consumer friendly for its clients, it avoids to pay any tax in the countries where it's available... Well, that's not the discussion here.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Flouff said:

What's frightening IS the long term plan. A company which can support money losses for years to break the market until its service is the only one relevant is a problem. And when that's the case, consumers can't "control" the market anymore ; if the suscription is 50 dollars per month with majority pf GAAS, AA, and copy paste/game, there will be no alternative. That's not a market that will invest hundreds of millions in ambitious AAA. And i can barely see how it will be sustainable for traditional publishers (musical artists payment on streaming plateforms are already a joke).

Maybe a pessimistic view of the global picture, but I feel, in a dramatical way of saying things , like observers who see people elect a despot thinking short terms their problems will be solved.

You could always move to a mainland Europe country or Japan if you feel you must escape Xbox’s reach :)

Well, I live in France and it's already hard to avoid GAFAM ! ;)

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Is the pattern a quality library of different genres? What do I win for getting it right?

Wow, lots of great games with loads of replay value across different genres, and these aren't even their big titles. Sounds terrible.

Look, we all have different tastes in games. Personally I love stuff like Wasteland 3, battletoads, Grounded as well a AAA game like TLOU2. Only thing I'm saying is that Sony and MS are going with completely different strategies and it will show in the types of games they'll be focusing on.

Sony is all about story telling and single player blockbusters. If you don't like those sort of games, you're in luck because they wouldn't work with the GP model. MS will be about quantity, smaller scale games and experiences that keep people engaged with GP over a long period of time. Elder Scrolls Online, Tell me Why... perfect games for GP. Doom Eternal, Gear 5.. not so much. 

Did you just call The Elder Scrolls a “smaller scale game/experience”?

Please, don’t comment about XBox from here on out.

At this point, you should be banned from discussing anything MS/XBox altogether.

Hynad said:
goopy20 said:

Look, we all have different tastes in games. Personally I love stuff like Wasteland 3, battletoads, Grounded as well a AAA game like TLOU2. Only thing I'm saying is that Sony and MS are going with completely different strategies and it will show in the types of games they'll be focusing on.

Sony is all about story telling and single player blockbusters. If you don't like those sort of games, you're in luck because they wouldn't work with the GP model. MS will be about quantity, smaller scale games and experiences that keep people engaged with GP over a long period of time. Elder Scrolls Online, Tell me Why... perfect games for GP. Doom Eternal, Gear 5.. not so much. 

Did you just call The Elder Scrolls a “smaller scale game/experience”?

Please, don’t comment about XBox from here on out.

At this point, you should be banned from discussing anything MS/XBox altogether.

He was perma'd a while ago :P

sales2099 said:
HollyGamer said:

For Gamepass, even Blockbuster Movie streaming never had truly exclusives product. Gamepass alone will not coupe the lost for 7.5 billion. Unless they want to watered down Blockbuster games to become 2A games or even 1A games. There no such free stuff in this world or cheap stuff that equal to premium. They can just sell high price on PS or Nintendo or other device and making it free on gamepass or Xbox ecosystem. 

Who said it’s exclusive? It’s Xbox, Windows Store, Steam, Game Pass and Xcloud via smartphone/tablet. DLC is also a great way to have GP subscribers pay on top of their monthly sub. 

15 million subscriber alone (Xbox consoles, Windows store, Xcloud (smartphones ) will not coupe that money because it's not just 7.5 billion but add with game development budget, marketing budget, xcloud infrastructure budget and additional fee to pay on . Also 15 million subscriber also divide into many categories. 

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
sales2099 said:

Who said it’s exclusive? It’s Xbox, Windows Store, Steam, Game Pass and Xcloud via smartphone/tablet. DLC is also a great way to have GP subscribers pay on top of their monthly sub. 

15 million subscriber alone (Xbox consoles, Windows store, Xcloud (smartphones ) will not coupe that money because it's not just 7.5 billion but add with game development budget, marketing budget, xcloud infrastructure budget and additional fee to pay on . Also 15 million subscriber also divide into many categories. 

Well, the numbers add up: 15M @$10 x 12Months = approx 2 billion per annum. 

Also, this acquisition doesn't need to "pay itself off". The purchase was as "cash and carry" as it gets. It wasn't money for recouping. It was money they could literally burn through to get an advantage. 

HollyGamer said:
sales2099 said:

Why are people suddenly so concerned about how a company that has more total cash on hand than Sony is even worth will pay its bills from this acquisition? Microsoft has no pressure to ensure Game Pass/XCloud is instantaneously profitable or to recoup the money they used to purchase Bethesda. They made the profits to be used for this reason, otherwise it's just sitting around in a bank account somewhere.

Raven said:
HollyGamer said:

Why are people suddenly so concerned about how a company that has more total cash on hand than Sony is even worth will pay its bills from this acquisition? Microsoft has no pressure to ensure Game Pass/XCloud is instantaneously profitable or to recoup the money they used to purchase Bethesda. They made the profits to be used for this reason, otherwise it's just sitting around in a bank account somewhere.

because people only see big numbers but don't understand the value nor the economics behind it

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

HollyGamer said:
sales2099 said:

I love this, so much to say. First, Microsoft has every intention to play the long game. In the last quarterly statement MS profited 13 billion. They all ready made back the purchase lol and then some. 

Then you have to consider GP isn’t all by its lonesome. It’s sustainable because you have people buying games outright on Xbox, Windows Store and Steam to provide short term revenue on top of a growing subscriber base. Minecraft still raking in money across all platforms.

Then you have indirect effects like DLC purchases of GP titles. Friend referrals to non GP owners. By itself who knows how GP is sustainable but as a ecosystem/gaming division it’s more then so. The bigger their 1st party gets the less they will need to rely on 3rd party deals. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Raven said:
HollyGamer said:

It’s textbook concern trolling. Maybe Holly was doing it unintentionally but it’s a very common anti Game Pass argument.

Its value is unmatched...which other console maker gives away 1st party games day 1? Nobody. So instead of giving credit to where it’s due people on the other side naturally have to trash it. But there’s nothing to trash because the competition doesn’t have a better system.

So what to do you ask? Talk hypothetically. Act like it’s so good a deal that it’s unsustainable. Talk like you are a faux businessman then a gamer who plays games. Pretend it’s gonna bankrupt a corporation that profits 10+ billion every 3 months. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.