Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox acquires Bethesda

hinch said:
mutantsushi said:
Growing Game Pass on PC and Microsoft Store on PC are really agnostic to Playstation. Playstation/PC gamers may be happy to use Microsoft store to play them on PC.

I beg to differ Microsoft store is hot garbage and most PC gamers avoid it like the plague. Their recent games are quite successful on Steam mind - not a surprise to anyone as its the most popular gaming platform on PC.

Not sure that's entirely true. Windows Store activity is clearly growing with each notable release.

Also, if you want cheap access to new releases then you have to use Gamepass.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
hinch said:
mutantsushi said:
Growing Game Pass on PC and Microsoft Store on PC are really agnostic to Playstation. Playstation/PC gamers may be happy to use Microsoft store to play them on PC.

I beg to differ Microsoft store is hot garbage and most PC gamers avoid it like the plague. Their recent games are quite successful on Steam mind - not a surprise to anyone as its the most popular gaming platform on PC.

Yeah, gonna be honest, if MS store was as good as some xbox gamers make it sound, it would have reached steam levels of praise, usage and popularity by now. Most avoid it and go for Steam/GoG, Epic for the free old games etc. 



               

Chazore said:
hinch said:

I beg to differ Microsoft store is hot garbage and most PC gamers avoid it like the plague. Their recent games are quite successful on Steam mind - not a surprise to anyone as its the most popular gaming platform on PC.

Yeah, gonna be honest, if MS store was as good as some xbox gamers make it sound, it would have reached steam levels of praise, usage and popularity by now. Most avoid it and go for Steam/GoG, Epic for the free old games etc. 

Yeah there is no need if you have one store front. When you go onto any PC forum online its mostly about Steam, GOG or more recently EGS. MS store isn't even worth mentioning. I'm still amazed at how Epic Games Store has got a foot hold in the PC market since its release in late 2018. The store isn't half bad. Also the free games is a huge draw. Maybe Microsoft should be doing that *hint hint nudge nudge*



Chazore said:
hinch said:

I beg to differ Microsoft store is hot garbage and most PC gamers avoid it like the plague. Their recent games are quite successful on Steam mind - not a surprise to anyone as its the most popular gaming platform on PC.

Yeah, gonna be honest, if MS store was as good as some xbox gamers make it sound, it would have reached steam levels of praise, usage and popularity by now. Most avoid it and go for Steam/GoG, Epic for the free old games etc. 

That's a ridiculous argument.

At best its praised for a being functional and Gamepass is a great deal for the content. Being a good service doesn't mean you have to be doing as well as Steam.

I also think a valid argument is people are loyal to Steam because they have much of their library there and perhaps they just like the app. Having multiple programs to use does become a burden. I mean between Steam, GOG, Gamepass, Origin, Epic... its a bit of a nuisance.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

hinch said:
Chazore said:

Yeah, gonna be honest, if MS store was as good as some xbox gamers make it sound, it would have reached steam levels of praise, usage and popularity by now. Most avoid it and go for Steam/GoG, Epic for the free old games etc. 

Yeah there is no need if you have one store front. When you go onto any PC forum online its mostly about Steam, GOG or more recently EGS. MS store isn't even worth mentioning. I'm still amazed at how Epic Games Store has got a foot hold in the PC market since its release in late 2018. The store isn't half bad. Also the free games is a huge draw. Maybe Microsoft should be doing that *hint hint nudge nudge*

I think the primary reason the Epic Store has relevance is because of Fortnite. That's arguably more significant than the free games. Epic has also been buying exclusives, not sure what impact that really makes though.

So take away Fortnite, I don't think the Epic Store would be very relevant. Its so popular that Epic seemingly doesn't make other games at this point.

Last, you also have to consider MS is opting to share games with Steam. MS chose to get significant sales on Steam over forcing more people to use Windows Store. Which is the opposite of what Epic is doing. Epic is instead spending significant money on exclusives (keeping games off Steam) and free games so you use their app.

Although, Steam doesn't have Minecraft and that's still the most popular game on Windows Store. People who want to use Gamepass also need to use Windows Store.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
hinch said:

Yeah there is no need if you have one store front. When you go onto any PC forum online its mostly about Steam, GOG or more recently EGS. MS store isn't even worth mentioning. I'm still amazed at how Epic Games Store has got a foot hold in the PC market since its release in late 2018. The store isn't half bad. Also the free games is a huge draw. Maybe Microsoft should be doing that *hint hint nudge nudge*

I think the primary reason the Epic Store has relevance is because of Fortnite. That's arguably more significant than the free games. Epic has also been buying exclusives, not sure what impact that really makes though.

So take away Fortnite, I don't think the Epic Store would be very relevant. Its so popular that Epic seemingly doesn't make other games at this point.

Last, you also have to consider MS is opting to share games with Steam. MS chose to get significant sales on Steam over forcing more people to use Windows Store. Which is the opposite of what Epic is doing. Epic is instead spending significant money on exclusives (keeping games off Steam) and free games so you use their app.

Although, Steam doesn't have Minecraft and that's still the most popular game on Windows Store. People who want to use Gamepass also need to use Windows Store.

Er no, EGS is popular as it gives out good value, i.e; lots of discounts and a tonne of free (a lot of which high profile like GTA V) games and a passable store. Not to mention more and more exclusive games. They also own Fortnite and Rocket League which now requires a EGS account to play, regardless of platform.

Nope you just go on the Xbox website website and download the app. Still ain't nobody using the Microsoft Store to buy games. Maybe there are select few who buy games on GP Store.



yvanjean said:
Runa216 said:

They have to actually deliver on promises. They keep buying studios and publishers and all that, which is great, but I refer back to Rare. They bought this studio, then did virtually nothing with it. I've yet to see ANY positive change due to all the stuff they're buying. 

And I still maintain that Gamepass - though great for new gamers or people who don't care about owning their games - clearly does nothing for most people. If it was as big of a deal as they're making it out to seem, People would be snatching up Xboxes left and right but that's not happening. History proves that exclusives and gimmicks are what sell consoles, not games as a service. There's nothing I want on Xbox that I can't get on PS or PC, so why would I care about Xbox? 

Runa maybe you should really make some research everyone brings up Rare but they've been one of Microsoft's best studios. The only reason you bash them is that they been task by Microsoft to work on Kinect titles.

Microsoft bought Rare in 2002, Three years after they release 2005 - Kameo: Elements of power; 2005 - Perfect Dark Zero, and 2006 - Viva Pinata. In 2008 they release Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise & Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

In between 2009 and 2014, Microsoft made a big push for Kinect and Kinect 2.0, They made Kinect Sports, Kinect Sports: Season Two, Killer Instinct in 2013 & release Kinect Sports Rivals in 2014. 

Then Phil Spencer took over as head of Xbox in 2014, dropping the Kinect and freeing up Rare to work on what they wanted. They release a very popular and well-received Rare Replay in 2015. Worked on a very ambitious title Sea of Thieves that was release 2018 and they have continued to support to this day. 

Sea of Thieves deserves the criticisms from launch but the studios have constantly been adding and improving the game to make it the game that it is today.
In July 2020, Rare announced that Sea of Thieves had passed 15 million players. 

Now that brings us to today, They just release Battle toads and Sea of Thieves is still a very popular title being played by millions.

Rare is working on one of the most anticipated for Xbox Series X/S in EverWild.   

Here go watch this again:

Oh for crying out loud, would you cut this shit out? We've seen a goddamn cinematic trailer for the game, we know next to nothing about the game and won't know much about it until it's closer to release. Everwild CAN be good, but until I have it and it's out, I'm going to assume - based on past history - that it's not going to be a complete game. Sea of Thieves took how long to become a game that wasn't a failure? 

Your narrative is shoddy. Rare has done nothing of value since Perfect Dark. They did Donkey Kong Country, and that was a mega-hit. They did Banjo-Kazooie, which was also a pretty significant hit and a contender to Mario 64's throne. They revolutionized Console FPS games with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark...then Microsoft bought them and can you think of a single game they've made that has contributed anything of value to the gaming landscape? Can you find any casual gamers who know what all they made? Do you think normal people even know what viva Pinata is? Microsoft took one of the most influential and revolutionary game devs of the 90's and turned them into a boring company with no further legacy. 

They've bought many other studios and so far have done nothing to prove that they give a damn about gaming. IF Ninja Theory's games come out and they're great, then AWESOME! I'd like for that to happen. I'd like for ALL the companies they've bought to make great games because that's good for Microsoft and for gamers worldwide. As it stands, Microsoft only has a legacy of buying companies and doing nothing of value with them. Hell, even with their mega-hits like Halo and Gears of War, they had NO idea how to maintain that momentum. Halo was a cultural milestone and another outstanding leap forward for console FPS games...and now? Hardly anyone cares. Halo 4 and 5 were meh, Halo Infinite so far only has bad press (And isn't even a launch title), and Gears 4/5 have the same issue. They're on a downward trajectory and I don't see that changing any time soon. 

As I said, I'd love to be proven wrong, but every franchise they have has been going down in quality and notoriety (Except Forza, let's be clear; that franchise has been more or less great aside from 7's microtransactions), they can't seem to create new IPs that have cultural impact, and the two games I'd consider their best efforts in the past ten years - cuphead and Ori - came out on Switch. 

Look, the nonbiased part of me WANTS to believe that Microsoft will actually do something good in Gen 9, because I know they have potential. 

The nonbiased and critical part of me has been burned by them too many times to trust them. Sorry, mate, it was the same song and dance coming up to the Xbox One's release, all these promises of better games and more exploration. 

Tell me, when was the last time ANY Xbox game had the sort of cultural impact of The Last of Us 2? Of God of War? Of Spider-Man? Of Final Fantasy VII Remake? Of Mario Odyssey or Breath of the WIld? When was the last time they launched a successful franchise like Splatoon or Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima. Until they actually succeed in making great games or launching new franchises...as far as I'm concerned it's all snake oil sales tactics. Until they actually succeed at releasing games that matter and are fun, I don't trust them. 



I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

History proves that exclusives sell Nintendo consoles. MicroSony consoles sell mostly for third party multiplats.



LudicrousSpeed said:

History proves that exclusives sell Nintendo consoles. MicroSony consoles sell mostly for third party multiplats.

aaaahahahhahahahahahah

no

The Xbox 360's biggest games outside of CALLADOODY was Kinect Adventures and Halo.

PS4's best selling games aside from Calladoody are stuff like Uncharted, Spider-Man, God of War, The Last of Us, and Horizon Zero Dawn. 

If you don't think exclusives sell games, then damn boy you need a lesson in console history. If it was third party multiplats, then why didn't Xbox One sell the most? I mean, it was the most powerful console, wasn't it? the OneX was WAY stronger than the PS4 pro, yet the years after its release were poorer than the years prior to its release, getting destroyed even more by PS4 afterwards. 

More mental gymnastics, kids. This is how you identify it. 



I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

Runa216 said:
yvanjean said:

Runa maybe you should really make some research everyone brings up Rare but they've been one of Microsoft's best studios. The only reason you bash them is that they been task by Microsoft to work on Kinect titles.

Microsoft bought Rare in 2002, Three years after they release 2005 - Kameo: Elements of power; 2005 - Perfect Dark Zero, and 2006 - Viva Pinata. In 2008 they release Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise & Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

In between 2009 and 2014, Microsoft made a big push for Kinect and Kinect 2.0, They made Kinect Sports, Kinect Sports: Season Two, Killer Instinct in 2013 & release Kinect Sports Rivals in 2014. 

Then Phil Spencer took over as head of Xbox in 2014, dropping the Kinect and freeing up Rare to work on what they wanted. They release a very popular and well-received Rare Replay in 2015. Worked on a very ambitious title Sea of Thieves that was release 2018 and they have continued to support to this day. 

Sea of Thieves deserves the criticisms from launch but the studios have constantly been adding and improving the game to make it the game that it is today.
In July 2020, Rare announced that Sea of Thieves had passed 15 million players. 

Now that brings us to today, They just release Battle toads and Sea of Thieves is still a very popular title being played by millions.

Rare is working on one of the most anticipated for Xbox Series X/S in EverWild.   

Here go watch this again:

Oh for crying out loud, would you cut this shit out? We've seen a goddamn cinematic trailer for the game, we know next to nothing about the game and won't know much about it until it's closer to release. Everwild CAN be good, but until I have it and it's out, I'm going to assume - based on past history - that it's not going to be a complete game. Sea of Thieves took how long to become a game that wasn't a failure? 

Your narrative is shoddy. Rare has done nothing of value since Perfect Dark. They did Donkey Kong Country, and that was a mega-hit. They did Banjo-Kazooie, which was also a pretty significant hit and a contender to Mario 64's throne. They revolutionized Console FPS games with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark...then Microsoft bought them and can you think of a single game they've made that has contributed anything of value to the gaming landscape? Can you find any casual gamers who know what all they made? Do you think normal people even know what viva Pinata is? Microsoft took one of the most influential and revolutionary game devs of the 90's and turned them into a boring company with no further legacy. 

They've bought many other studios and so far have done nothing to prove that they give a damn about gaming. IF Ninja Theory's games come out and they're great, then AWESOME! I'd like for that to happen. I'd like for ALL the companies they've bought to make great games because that's good for Microsoft and for gamers worldwide. As it stands, Microsoft only has a legacy of buying companies and doing nothing of value with them. Hell, even with their mega-hits like Halo and Gears of War, they had NO idea how to maintain that momentum. Halo was a cultural milestone and another outstanding leap forward for console FPS games...and now? Hardly anyone cares. Halo 4 and 5 were meh, Halo Infinite so far only has bad press (And isn't even a launch title), and Gears 4/5 have the same issue. They're on a downward trajectory and I don't see that changing any time soon. 

As I said, I'd love to be proven wrong, but every franchise they have has been going down in quality and notoriety (Except Forza, let's be clear; that franchise has been more or less great aside from 7's microtransactions), they can't seem to create new IPs that have cultural impact, and the two games I'd consider their best efforts in the past ten years - cuphead and Ori - came out on Switch. 

Look, the nonbiased part of me WANTS to believe that Microsoft will actually do something good in Gen 9, because I know they have potential. 

The nonbiased and critical part of me has been burned by them too many times to trust them. Sorry, mate, it was the same song and dance coming up to the Xbox One's release, all these promises of better games and more exploration. 

Tell me, when was the last time ANY Xbox game had the sort of cultural impact of The Last of Us 2? Of God of War? Of Spider-Man? Of Final Fantasy VII Remake? Of Mario Odyssey or Breath of the WIld? When was the last time they launched a successful franchise like Splatoon or Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima. Until they actually succeed in making great games or launching new franchises...as far as I'm concerned it's all snake oil sales tactics. Until they actually succeed at releasing games that matter and are fun, I don't trust them. 

There is so much wrong with what you just said in that whole post, but I simply don't have the time to go over it and point it all out. So I'll concentrate on just one paragraph of it. You say that modern casual gamers have no clue who Rare is anymore. I highly doubt that, Sea of Thieves has hit 15m players now and was a top twitch game for many months after release, I'd wager that far more casual gamers know about Sea of Thieves than ever knew about Rare's earlier games (which sold at most 8m copies compared to 15m players for Sea of Thieves). Plenty of gen 7 casuals also knew about Rare, since they spent most of gen 7 working on games that were specifically made with casuals in mind, such as Viva Pinata and Kinect Sports. You also say that Microsoft destroyed Rare's legacy, but it is unfair to put that blame on Microsoft, nothing that Rare has made since MS bought them was forced on them by MS, we've had multiple interviews with Rare devs where they said that all of the projects they've made since MS bought them were the ideas of Rare's leadership, not Microsoft executives. Not even Kinect was forced on them, when MS was first working on Kinect they showed the Kinect to all of the 1st party studio heads as well as a selection of 3rd party devs in a presentation, Rare's head loved the idea of the Kinect so much that he decided Rare should make a Kinect game, which was how Kinect Sports came to be.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 25 September 2020