By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
HollyGamer said:
sales2099 said:

If they remain multiply why did MS make the deal at all? If Elder Scrolls 6 comes out on Xbox and PS....that doesn’t cost a penny. Why spend 7.5 billion to get the same result as spending nothing? Worst case is timed exclusivity. Best case is console/PC/Game Pass, and Xcloud via Phone/tablet/laptop. It’s not just console exclusivity, the ecosystem is much bigger then that. 

For Gamepass, even Blockbuster Movie streaming never had truly exclusives product. Gamepass alone will not coupe the lost for 7.5 billion. Unless they want to watered down Blockbuster games to become 2A games or even 1A games. There no such free stuff in this world or cheap stuff that equal to premium. They can just sell high price on PS or Nintendo or other device and making it free on gampass or Xbox ecosystem. 

Firstly in the long run this investment will likely recoupe that money and secondly they did not lost it,they now have a ton of talented studios,buildings,devs,popular ip's and a lot of those ips already had a good amount of investment by bethesda themselves.

On top of that those ip's have the potential to sell gamepass to millions of people that can stay subscribed for a whole gen.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Well, I believe Phil has already answered how exclusivity will be handled. I believe he said it would be on a per-game basis, so that should tell you that some games may be exclusive and others may be multiplatform. The huge games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls I could see MS keeping multiplatform but then others like Doom, Wolfenstein, and Dishonored, etc... being Xbox/PC only. So I guess.... nobody really knows how MS will handle it, maybe everything will end up being Xbox/PC only or maybe everything stays multi-platform or like I said, maybe a mixture of exclusivity and multi-platform.

My initial thoughts after seeing the acquisition news was that the games would release day one on Gamepass and on the PS5 for $70 as Xbox users gain massive benefits from having all these in Gamepass day one and PS5 users can still pay them a premium to play it and everyone wins and plenty of $$$ is made.

but now after a few days I'm not so sure if that will be the case realising that Elder Scrolls and Fallout are now potentially the two biggest platform sellers that Xbox currently have in their library.

The first option of putting them everywhere will make the most money in the short term for sure but the second option of bringing in more people to the ecosystem either on console or PC via Gamepass subs or profits from the 30% cut from third party game sales will likely be the strongest plan in the long term.

Some titles will certainly become exclusive to MS platforms. I also consider Steam included because that requires Windows for their games.

I don't really anticipate Elder Scroll and Fallout to stay exclusive. I've noticed Sony seems to be pretty aggressive with the timed exclusivity thing. Therefore would actually encourage MS to use timed exclusivity as revenge or use their titles to discourage Sony from doing that.

For MS to grow their platforms they can't support Playstation too much. Some games need to be exclusive to MS platforms or come later on Playstation.

Growing Game Pass on PC and Microsoft Store on PC are really agnostic to Playstation. Playstation/PC gamers may be happy to use Microsoft store to play them on PC.

drkohler said:
WoodenPints said:

but the second option of bringing in more people to the ecosystem either on console or PC via Gamepass subs or profits from the 30% cut from third party game sales will likely be the strongest plan in the long term.

What makes you think "more people" is "more enough" to offset the $7.5B + the running costs for all the new people/real estate?

There seem to be too many people thinking "MS buys studios - MS gets more gamers" is a proven concept. But is it, really? For me, I have the nagging feeling that, once again, MS had to bail out the XBox group.

Well what we know for certain is MS buying more studios creates more hyped about their 1st party line up. It will get more people using their platforms; Xbox, Windows Store, Cloud and of course Gamepass.

I don't feel MS had bail out Xbox per se, things have been going well before the purchase of Zenimax. Their games are starting to get more critical acclaim, their new studios are working on lots of new content, Gamepass is apparently doing well enough to brag about, they've been finding great success in recent PC releases and people are hyped about next gen. Things were looking good and then they threw in Zenimax on top of that. I think it shows MS is happy enough with Xbox that they want to do more to help it thrive.

Things are certainly looking much better now than say 2013. Yet they aren't done, they are still considering more studio purchases which will bolster their offerings.

mutantsushi said:
Growing Game Pass on PC and Microsoft Store on PC are really agnostic to Playstation. Playstation/PC gamers may be happy to use Microsoft store to play them on PC.

You aren't saying anything new. MS has already said they're happy as long as you're playing their games.

So if you're a PC gamer, you're likely using Windows. On top of that you're probably buying games on Steam or maybe using Gamepass on the Windows Store.

Several MS games have been doing really well on Steam. Which is great, that means their titles have become lower risk and more profitable thanks to the audience they found on PC. You also have to consider PC has a bigger audience world wide than console reach. Therefore if you don't support PC then you ignore a huge audience that don't have consoles, this is why I always encouraged PC support.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Runa216 said:

CAN they turn it around? sure, of course they CAN. sony fucked up in Gen 7 and they turned it around. The thing is, they have done nothing to give me that impression. 

What would MS need to do to give you the impression that they're turning it around?  I largely agree with your critiques of the last decade of xbox. But, it seems very clear to me over the last two to three years that they are turning it around. Acquiring and building new studios, innovative new business model with Gamepass, offering multiple next generation console options.....  Basically, it's hard for me to understand what else you would want to see from them.

They have to actually deliver on promises. They keep buying studios and publishers and all that, which is great, but I refer back to Rare. They bought this studio, then did virtually nothing with it. I've yet to see ANY positive change due to all the stuff they're buying. 

And I still maintain that Gamepass - though great for new gamers or people who don't care about owning their games - clearly does nothing for most people. If it was as big of a deal as they're making it out to seem, People would be snatching up Xboxes left and right but that's not happening. History proves that exclusives and gimmicks are what sell consoles, not games as a service. There's nothing I want on Xbox that I can't get on PS or PC, so why would I care about Xbox? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Mr Puggsly said:
drkohler said:

What makes you think "more people" is "more enough" to offset the $7.5B + the running costs for all the new people/real estate?

There seem to be too many people thinking "MS buys studios - MS gets more gamers" is a proven concept. But is it, really? For me, I have the nagging feeling that, once again, MS had to bail out the XBox group.

Well what we know for certain is MS buying more studios creates more hyped about their 1st party line up. It will get more people using their platforms; Xbox, Windows Store, Cloud and of course Gamepass.

I don't feel MS had bail out Xbox per se, things have been going well before the purchase of Zenimax. Their games are starting to get more critical acclaim, their new studios are working on lots of new content, Gamepass is apparently doing well enough to brag about, they've been finding great success in recent PC releases and people are hyped about next gen. Things were looking good and then they threw in Zenimax on top of that. I think it shows MS is happy enough with Xbox that they want to do more to help it thrive.

Things are certainly looking much better now than say 2013. Yet they aren't done, they are still considering more studio purchases which will bolster their offerings.

I totally agree that this was no bail out for MS gaming studio or the Xbox brand instead you can see that there were moves with the promotion of Spencer that shows that MS was going in a different direction and their focus had advanced beyond the console war.  If you look at how things had changed for MS when they fired Mat and put Spencer in charged.  Next there is a shakeup and Spencer get promoted and now only report directly to Sat.  You look at his moves and we see this huge purchase and it becomes obvious that Spencer sold Sat on something way bigger than Xbox and probably also sold him on the competition and where they need to position themselves to move the company forward.  As someone already stated, gamepass one of the gateway drugs MS has to also sell you all their other services, things have moved where gaming is a platform situation for MS.  Getting EA pass into gamepass is also another big move, I wonder if they tried to get UBI on as well or do something like what Amazon is doing but Amazon beat them to the point.  I see more along these lines as well between MS and Amazon because you do not have to purchase a publisher to get their content on your service.

Runa216 said:
VAMatt said:

What would MS need to do to give you the impression that they're turning it around?  I largely agree with your critiques of the last decade of xbox. But, it seems very clear to me over the last two to three years that they are turning it around. Acquiring and building new studios, innovative new business model with Gamepass, offering multiple next generation console options.....  Basically, it's hard for me to understand what else you would want to see from them.

They have to actually deliver on promises. They keep buying studios and publishers and all that, which is great, but I refer back to Rare. They bought this studio, then did virtually nothing with it. I've yet to see ANY positive change due to all the stuff they're buying. 

And I still maintain that Gamepass - though great for new gamers or people who don't care about owning their games - clearly does nothing for most people. If it was as big of a deal as they're making it out to seem, People would be snatching up Xboxes left and right but that's not happening. History proves that exclusives and gimmicks are what sell consoles, not games as a service. There's nothing I want on Xbox that I can't get on PS or PC, so why would I care about Xbox? 

Runa maybe you should really make some research everyone brings up Rare but they've been one of Microsoft's best studios. The only reason you bash them is that they been task by Microsoft to work on Kinect titles.

Microsoft bought Rare in 2002, Three years after they release 2005 - Kameo: Elements of power; 2005 - Perfect Dark Zero, and 2006 - Viva Pinata. In 2008 they release Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise & Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

In between 2009 and 2014, Microsoft made a big push for Kinect and Kinect 2.0, They made Kinect Sports, Kinect Sports: Season Two, Killer Instinct in 2013 & release Kinect Sports Rivals in 2014. 

Then Phil Spencer took over as head of Xbox in 2014, dropping the Kinect and freeing up Rare to work on what they wanted. They release a very popular and well-received Rare Replay in 2015. Worked on a very ambitious title Sea of Thieves that was release 2018 and they have continued to support to this day. 

Sea of Thieves deserves the criticisms from launch but the studios have constantly been adding and improving the game to make it the game that it is today.
In July 2020, Rare announced that Sea of Thieves had passed 15 million players. 

Now that brings us to today, They just release Battle toads and Sea of Thieves is still a very popular title being played by millions.

Rare is working on one of the most anticipated for Xbox Series X/S in EverWild.   

Here go watch this again:

Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

Runa216 said:
VAMatt said:

Oh come now, there’s more to it and you know it. For one, Game Pass was introduced in the later years of this gen, where the trends have long since been decided. The gen belongs to Nintendo and Sony, and doesn’t matter what Xbox does it would face a uphill battle due to market share alone.

Then you have the main idea of day 1 exclusives. Only recently will this idea truly take off because when it started, it was the usual “Xbox trinity” mixed in with oddballs like Sea of Thieves and Quantum Break. If you ain’t into the trinity, I can see this not be broad appealing. 

Next gen is technically a clean slate and Xbox hasn’t enjoyed this much hype and good PR for literally several years. The 23 studios (as opposed to 7 in 2017) are poised to add games you simply can’t find, and most importantly, don’t just include Halo Gears and Forza ;)

I know I know, you need to see it to believe it. But hey, for the last place brand getting 15 million GP subs, imagine next gen if Xbox starts it off right and once the big hitters hit like Elder Scrolls/Starfield etc. Exciting times ahead. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

mutantsushi said:

I beg to differ Microsoft store is hot garbage and most PC gamers avoid it like the plague. Their recent games are quite successful on Steam mind - not a surprise to anyone as its the most popular gaming platform on PC.