By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
sales2099 said:
Barkley said:

"Ignore 3rd parties and imagine Nintendo starts their own GP but only for their 1st party games. Can you see how profitable they would become with 25-50m subscribers even if nobody bought a physical game ever again?" - Yes because 100% of the money would be going to them.

"EA seems  more than happy with theirs at $2.50/month." - EA charges $15/month for EA Play Pro, the sub that gives you access to all there games day one. Same as UPlay+.

You are talking about profit because you say 60m subscribers means they can buy Zenimax every year, they can't because all the money from those 60m subscribers wouldn't end up in there bank account for them to spend. You even mention profit next.

"In regards to profit, 10m subs @$15 ($1.8bn/yr) is equivalent to selling 30m full price, digital, first party games every year ($60/$60)."

In terms of revenue, not profit..... $1.8 billion in gamepass sales does not give them the same money as $1.8 billion in first party software sales

It’s not our place to worry about things like this. MS has big boy accountants and teams that have a road map for GP growth and profit. It’s our job to play video games. 

Yea I honestly wonder sometimes if a subscription model for gaming can work out well as far as profits. Are there enough gamers interested in doing it? We know it works for TV cause everyone watches TV. Not everyone games enough to want to add a monthly cost on their bills for it. Hell most people I know only play COD or the FTP games. Will see I'm interested to see how it all works out. I personally have no interest in subscription model I don't even like it for TV. I download all my media on a media server. I don't like how they add and remove things whenever they want.

Like yesterday tried to watch the mist. No subscription service currently has it streaming. Well not Hulu or Netflix anyways. Luckily I had it on my media server. Booted up Kodi and watched it.

Around the Network
method114 said:
sales2099 said:

It’s not our place to worry about things like this. MS has big boy accountants and teams that have a road map for GP growth and profit. It’s our job to play video games. 

Yea I honestly wonder sometimes if a subscription model for gaming can work out well as far as profits. Are there enough gamers interested in doing it? We know it works for TV cause everyone watches TV. Not everyone games enough to want to add a monthly cost on their bills for it. Hell most people I know only play COD or the FTP games. Will see I'm interested to see how it all works out. I personally have no interest in subscription model I don't even like it for TV. I download all my media on a media server. I don't like how they add and remove things whenever they want.

Like yesterday tried to watch the mist. No subscription service currently has it streaming. Well not Hulu or Netflix anyways. Luckily I had it on my media server. Booted up Kodi and watched it.

If you only look at just the console space no, but you have the console, PC, and mobile space.  That is a huge gaming market and I can tell you its why MS is putting their whole company behind GP.  Gamers tend to always look at now and today as if tech and markets do not move grow expend and make something obsolete.  Gaming as a whole is a huge business getting all the gamers on your sub is the end game.  MS would jump for joy if every Xbox sold also sold with a GP sub but that isn't the case and probably will not happen for a very long time.  The key for any business is not to develop just for today but you have to also develop for tomorrow.  Gamers really do not understand how important it is for a business to have sustained money coming in on subs then having to spend money up front to produce a game and hope it sells good at retail.  Even if GP just broke even it still would be a big win for MS because they want you in their eco system, not only selling you on their services but also other businesses.  MS has these huge server farms, if they are not running to a certain level they are losing money.  No matter if its their own internal stuff or some other business.

Machiavellian said:
method114 said:

If you only look at just the console space no, but you have the console, PC, and mobile space.  That is a huge gaming market and I can tell you its why MS is putting their whole company behind GP.  Gamers tend to always look at now and today as if tech and markets do not move grow expend and make something obsolete.  Gaming as a whole is a huge business getting all the gamers on your sub is the end game.  MS would jump for joy if every Xbox sold also sold with a GP sub but that isn't the case and probably will not happen for a very long time.  The key for any business is not to develop just for today but you have to also develop for tomorrow.  Gamers really do not understand how important it is for a business to have sustained money coming in on subs then having to spend money up front to produce a game and hope it sells good at retail.  Even if GP just broke even it still would be a big win for MS because they want you in their eco system, not only selling you on their services but also other businesses.  MS has these huge server farms, if they are not running to a certain level they are losing money.  No matter if its their own internal stuff or some other business.

I'm not just looking at console. I'm taking into account PC and Mobile space as well. It all comes down to the monthly cost to me and I truly wonder how many people out their game so much they are willing to pay monthly for it. I'm not saying it wont work or not I really don't know I'm interested in seeing how it works out for MS. 

method114 said:
Machiavellian said:

I'm not just looking at console. I'm taking into account PC and Mobile space as well. It all comes down to the monthly cost to me and I truly wonder how many people out their game so much they are willing to pay monthly for it. I'm not saying it wont work or not I really don't know I'm interested in seeing how it works out for MS. 

That is why the service needs to have a lot of different content.  Content matters a lot to a service like this.  If MS only had F2P or GAAS small titles things like this it would not be enough to entice a large enough sub crowd.  Instead they must have AAA, AA, Indie big and small.  The amount of content only needs enough type of games to make a person say, well if I paid 60 to 70 Dollars for 2 of these games, well it paid for my sub. Once you have them hooked then the amount of content is what will keep them.  When I first jumped on GP, I did it because between the big games I knew I was going to purchase they were on the service and I jump in on the 1 dollar deal.  Now that I have GP, I have played a lot of games I would actually never have bought but since they were on GP there was no risk.  This is the mindset MS want a gamer to have.  We have so many first party games at least 2 should appeal to you and if so then you save getting the service then purchasing them separately.  Once you are in you probably going to find a few more games that will make you continue to keep your sub and value it.

zero129 said:
sales2099 said:

This is the part that really ecks me when it comes to gamepass and some Sony fans.

Its like they imagine that MS and all them other company's that's building subscription services just woke up one day and said "Hey ya know what would be great.. Making a subscription service thats going to burn money....

They have a lot of highly trained accountants that would of been looking over the numbers and seen how much money is to be made from a subscription service.

Its a long term plan and how people doesnt see subscription services becoming the norm is beyond me.

Just like with Movies, just like with Music, Gaming subscription services will be how most people will play their games as people will go where they see the best bang for their buck.

What's frightening IS the long term plan. A company which can support money losses for years to break the market until its service is the only one relevant is a problem. And when that's the case, consumers can't "control" the market anymore ; if the suscription is 50 dollars per month with majority pf GAAS, AA, and copy paste/game, there will be no alternative. That's not a market that will invest hundreds of millions in ambitious AAA. And i can barely see how it will be sustainable for traditional publishers (musical artists payment on streaming plateforms are already a joke).

Maybe a pessimistic view of the global picture, but I feel, in a dramatical way of saying things , like observers who see people elect a despot thinking short terms their problems will be solved.

Around the Network
Flouff said:
zero129 said:

This is the part that really ecks me when it comes to gamepass and some Sony fans.

Its like they imagine that MS and all them other company's that's building subscription services just woke up one day and said "Hey ya know what would be great.. Making a subscription service thats going to burn money....

They have a lot of highly trained accountants that would of been looking over the numbers and seen how much money is to be made from a subscription service.

Its a long term plan and how people doesnt see subscription services becoming the norm is beyond me.

Just like with Movies, just like with Music, Gaming subscription services will be how most people will play their games as people will go where they see the best bang for their buck.

What's frightening IS the long term plan. A company which can support money losses for years to break the market until its service is the only one relevant is a problem. And when that's the case, consumers can't "control" the market anymore ; if the suscription is 50 dollars per month with majority pf GAAS, AA, and copy paste/game, there will be no alternative. That's not a market that will invest hundreds of millions in ambitious AAA. And i can barely see how it will be sustainable for traditional publishers (musical artists payment on streaming plateforms are already a joke).

Maybe a pessimistic view of the global picture, but I feel, in a dramatical way of saying things , like observers who see people elect a despot thinking short terms their problems will be solved.

Reminds me of when EA Access was going to be terrible because EA would lock full games behind it and jack the price up and then every other publisher would follow suit. Within years we’ll have to subscribe to eleven different services for a total of hundreds a month just to be able to play games!

Of course, none of that happened. If GamePass becomes as big a success as you’re worried about, it will be because MS offers a value that people won’t be able to resist. This is bad for consumers? And why would an optional subscription service become the only relevant gaming option? You can still buy all GamePass games outside of the service. Most games still aren’t on GamePass and a lot of the bigger titles that come from third party, come months after launch.

Just seems like a whole lot of worry for no good reason.

Barkley said:

Errr....

"KEEP IT ALL ON XBOX, MICROSOFT! I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THESE GAMES ON PLAYSTATION! FORCE ME to buy your console"

Why would you want to be forced to buy more hardware to play games on rather than play them on hardware you already have.

The ideal scenario for consumers is all games on every system. Choose the one you want, get everything. No need to shell out money on hardware you don't need.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Flouff said:

Reminds me of when EA Access was going to be terrible because EA would lock full games behind it and jack the price up and then every other publisher would follow suit. Within years we’ll have to subscribe to eleven different services for a total of hundreds a month just to be able to play games!

Of course, none of that happened. If GamePass becomes as big a success as you’re worried about, it will be because MS offers a value that people won’t be able to resist. This is bad for consumers? And why would an optional subscription service become the only relevant gaming option? You can still buy all GamePass games outside of the service. Most games still aren’t on GamePass and a lot of the bigger titles that come from third party, come months after launch.

Just seems like a whole lot of worry for no good reason.

If Gamepass ever becomes what they are describing customers will leave the service in a mass exodus and Microsoft will have to change their ways. The goal for Microsoft is to retain and grow the service therefore the fear-mongering happening isn't really the reality of what should happen. Unless Microsoft really grows the service to have a complete monopoly but with competition from Google and Amazon on the subscription front and combine with whatever Nintendo and Sony are offering in the gaming space that is not likely to ever happen. 

Lure in millions of gamers with great value
Stop making real games, start churning out shovel ware just to have new GP releases
Jack up the price of GamePass
?????
Profit

This is basically what every criticism of GamePass boils down to. And as consumers of course I guess were just gonna stay subscribed to a service that will supposedly only offer rushed A/AA games at a high subscription cost.

Flouff said:
zero129 said:

You could always move to a mainland Europe country or Japan if you feel you must escape Xbox’s reach :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Lure in millions of gamers with great value
Stop making real games, start churning out shovel ware just to have new GP releases
Jack up the price of GamePass
?????
Profit

This is basically what every criticism of GamePass boils down to. And as consumers of course I guess were just gonna stay subscribed to a service that will supposedly only offer rushed A/AA games at a high subscription cost.

Yeah, I have heard this argument so many times and I keep wondering why would this work.  If anything, MS would need to continue to make games that all type of gamers want to play in order to keep their subs.  Its not like there isn't other big guns out there waiting for an opportunity to leap frog in the market, continue their dominance or just flat out beat the competition with better price, games and services.  Way to much fear and not enough real though on the subject.