By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
NobleTeam360 said:

Well, I believe Phil has already answered how exclusivity will be handled. I believe he said it would be on a per-game basis, so that should tell you that some games may be exclusive and others may be multiplatform. The huge games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls I could see MS keeping multiplatform but then others like Doom, Wolfenstein, and Dishonored, etc... being Xbox/PC only. So I guess.... nobody really knows how MS will handle it, maybe everything will end up being Xbox/PC only or maybe everything stays multi-platform or like I said, maybe a mixture of exclusivity and multi-platform.

My initial thoughts after seeing the acquisition news was that the games would release day one on Gamepass and on the PS5 for $70 as Xbox users gain massive benefits from having all these in Gamepass day one and PS5 users can still pay them a premium to play it and everyone wins and plenty of $$$ is made.

but now after a few days I'm not so sure if that will be the case realising that Elder Scrolls and Fallout are now potentially the two biggest platform sellers that Xbox currently have in their library.

The first option of putting them everywhere will make the most money in the short term for sure but the second option of bringing in more people to the ecosystem either on console or PC via Gamepass subs or profits from the 30% cut from third party game sales will likely be the strongest plan in the long term.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:

but the second option of bringing in more people to the ecosystem either on console or PC via Gamepass subs or profits from the 30% cut from third party game sales will likely be the strongest plan in the long term.

What makes you think "more people" is "more enough" to offset the $7.5B + the running costs for all the new people/real estate?

There seem to be too many people thinking "MS buys studios - MS gets more gamers" is a proven concept. But is it, really? For me, I have the nagging feeling that, once again, MS had to bail out the XBox group.

I think this is a strong acquisition for MS, and return on investment questions do always have the option of not maximally restricting it for exclusivity.
The idea this means Playstation gamers will suddenly join Xbox (and Game Pass) en masse does seem implausibled and wishful thinking.
Even a relative trend in that direction would not likely change the overall dynamic too much, not that that would not be a success for MS/Xbox.
In all honesty, I feel this will be more impactful in PC space than in consoles, with MS better able to establish their store and Game Pass there.
That isn't just due to this deal, but also the EA deal as well. How successful that can be in coming years is still somewhat of an unknown,
with Game Pass basically in "promo[tional] mode" so far, but certainly it's something to take seriously. Just as much Epic clearly is serious,
with hefty backers and now deal with Sony that seems likely to deepen in some form or another.

goopy20 said:
kirby007 said:

FS2020 works fine as a major draw and it doesn't get much more blockbuster.
Any big singleplayer(story) is a way to draw new people in or get resubs.
new content is allways good for a sub service whether its GaaS or oneshot and one shots causing bigger waves

Flightsim is the perfect game for GP. It's not for everybody but anyone who's into sims can spend a whole console generation playing that single game. AAA Single player games on the other hand are just too expensive and take too long to make to and won't keep people engaged. They're one and done kind of games unless they have an amazing multiplayer.

Be honest now guys, how many of you have cancelled your GP subscription and renewed when there were some new big releases? I've just finished Wasteland 3 and cancelled right after. MS is still figuring this all out but I'm sure that's not what they want. That's why we're getting a GAAS Halo and we have to wait and see if that's a good or a bad thing.

Yeah, the Microsoft GP wouldn't work for me. I would miss out on all the Sony exclusives, which to me are the cream of the crop. Yes, great value and cheap games but it's not about price, it's about what I like. Well, maybe I could get GP for all the games other than Sony exclusives, but then again, it's a bit vague as to which games I would be getting at which times and having two systems for gaming to me is just overkill in principle.

Wow. Imagine all Bethesda games on the gamepass. All of a sudden, $25 per month XBSS ($35 XBSX) doesn't sound that bad at all, especially with Elder Scrolls 6 being on it day one (not to mention if it goes exclusive). This could be Gen 7 situation all over again, which is a good thing.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Well at least you are being honest with this. Many would put on a fake face and twist the narrative if they didn’t like this news. Props to you on that. 

Been trying to be honest and forthright as I can. Have I ever given you the impression I don't say exactly what I mean? 

Honestly, I think we'd all be better if we just outright said that 90% of our comments come from a place of bias. I wasn't biased last gen because I had both consoles - Microsoft just wasn't doing it for me and their sales numbers indicate I'm not the only one - but this generation I don't have that luxury. 

First world problems, I know.

My responses to this are strictly selfish. I'm not gonna pretend this is bad for Microsoft OR for Bethesda. I'm not going to go on some stupid rant about how this is anti-consumer or try to act like I wouldn't be cheering if it was my 'side' that did the same thing. I'm not going to whine and cry about how this is some karmic justice against Sony or how this is offensive or try to push false narratives about various factors. My stance is simple: I'm getting a PS5, I can't afford to get an XSX as well, so any games that are exclusive to the XSX are essentially lost to me. That sucks. when Sony loses out on something, I lose something as well. I want Sony to 'win' because it means I win by proxy and get more games. 

I still think Sony has a far, FAR stronger lineup and I can live without doom or Wolfenstein or Dishonoured or whatever, but man that Elder Scrolls is a hell of a loss. Kudos to your team. 

Didn't they say they are contractually bounded to release all games that were already in production on ps5 as well? Or maybe they were just talking about Deathloop? Still, it would be strange if Sony made all those timed exclusive deals and didn't sign any contracts to make sure Doom and MW6 would also come to ps5. 

This is a huge deal but it sounds more like a long term play for Microsoft. 

Kristof81 said:
Wow. Imagine all Bethesda games on the gamepass. All of a sudden, $25 per month XBSS ($35 XBSX) doesn't sound that bad at all, especially with Elder Scrolls 6 being on it day one (not to mention if it goes exclusive). This could be Gen 7 situation all over again, which is a good thing.

By the time TES6 comes out the 24 months of $25/$35 will probably be over lol.

Barkley said:
Kristof81 said:

By the time TES6 comes out the 24 months of $25/$35 will probably be over lol.

Yeah, its not like we'll see all those games come out next year. I am hyped as f*ck for Starfield because the concept sounds awesome. But I have yet to see any footage, same thing with ES6.

If it releases on Xbox and PC does it even count as an exclusive?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
If it releases on Xbox and PC does it even count as an exclusive?

Exclusive for Microsoft aka as long as it's sold through their store.