By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Cross-platform Play be huge for the incoming generation?

Will the incoming gen be more cross-platform play ready?

Yes 7 30.43%

No 10 43.48%

meh, i don't care 6 26.09%

Total:23

Considering more games are having it then I expect it will keep increasing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I dont think it matters enough to "Play a huge part" of the next gen.

I think Minecraft, Fortnite, Power Rangers, Mortal Kombat, and Call of Duty have brought the walls down on cross-play. I'd expect to see it much more often next generation. There's no excuse now.

Burning Typhoon said:
I think Minecraft, Fortnite, Power Rangers, Mortal Kombat, and Call of Duty have brought the walls down on cross-play. I'd expect to see it much more often next generation. There's no excuse now.

which games would you like to see cross-platform play?

aikohualda said:
Burning Typhoon said:

which games would you like to see cross-platform play?

Every competitive game I own.

Around the Network

I imagine third parties want it.

aikohualda said:
COKTOE said:
I prefer my walled garden. I grow fine tomatoes. Even Spaniards blush like schoolgirls when they see them.

Serious question @aikohualda. Is there ever a shortage of players on Platform X when you're playing Tekken or whatever fighting game? The last online game I played regularly was Rocket League, and never found myself with a shortage of randos. Not even close really. It's never been an issue for me, even in the very early days of Xbox Live. Sure, there were nights when Crimson Skies or Wolfenstein had slim pickings, but even on those sparsely populated games, I could almost always get a match going.

yeah it does.. sometimes...

especially for niche games, and it is kinda annoying if your friends use a different console than your preferred home console 

Fair enough cowboy. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
aikohualda said:

yeah it does.. sometimes...

especially for niche games, and it is kinda annoying if your friends use a different console than your preferred home console 

Fair enough cowboy. :)

Another important aspect is competitiveness. If console players weren't able to play against PC players, they'd never improve to a level where they could compete with them. That's why there are actually good console players in RL. I sometimes even see one or two when I queue at GC level.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It's big, but idk about huge. The games that really benefit from cross play aren't the "huge" games, so most people won't really care. You can play games like Fornite or Calls of Doodies with other platforms but it's not needed, none of the platforms suffer from any lack of player base. But some of my most played games this gen, like Evolve or Battleborn, I own on PS4 and Xbox, and Evolve is already dead with servers offline. It had a low userbase problem across all three platforms. Every user would have greatly benefited from cross play. Battleborn servers are going offline in early 2021, and on all three platforms it's almost impossible to find public queue matches, you have to manually setup matches because of lower userbases. Cross play would benefit everyone here. I would imagine there will be plenty of games next gen that fall into this same category.

It's the future. Sony will be reluctant and greedy, as they have been. Xbox, Windows, and Nintendo will embrace it more than ever.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima