By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Cross-platform Play be huge for the incoming generation?

Will the incoming gen be more cross-platform play ready?

Yes 7 30.43%

No 10 43.48%

meh, i don't care 6 26.09%

Total:23

I mean I am hoping that next gen games would be cross-platform play friendly...

I playa lot of fighting game (Tekken)... and having 3 major platform (Xbox, Play station, and PC) I would want to play with "more" players that just single platform players.

Will next gen consoles be more cross-platform games? I surely hope it will be :)

Around the Network

Sony will say no, MS would say yes.

Intrinsic said:

Correction: Everyone else would say yes.

Intrinsic said:

with enough teasing sony might be able to say yes :P

I prefer my walled garden. I grow fine tomatoes. Even Spaniards blush like schoolgirls when they see them.

Serious question @aikohualda. Is there ever a shortage of players on Platform X when you're playing Tekken or whatever fighting game? The last online game I played regularly was Rocket League, and never found myself with a shortage of randos. Not even close really. It's never been an issue for me, even in the very early days of Xbox Live. Sure, there were nights when Crimson Skies or Wolfenstein had slim pickings, but even on those sparsely populated games, I could almost always get a match going.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
I prefer my walled garden. I grow fine tomatoes. Even Spaniards blush like schoolgirls when they see them.

Serious question @aikohualda. Is there ever a shortage of players on Platform X when you're playing Tekken or whatever fighting game? The last online game I played regularly was Rocket League, and never found myself with a shortage of randos. Not even close really. It's never been an issue for me, even in the very early days of Xbox Live. Sure, there were nights when Crimson Skies or Wolfenstein had slim pickings, but even on those sparsely populated games, I could almost always get a match going.

yeah it does.. sometimes...

especially for niche games, and it is kinda annoying if your friends use a different console than your preferred home console 

Hopefully it becomes more standard next-gen. If someone just wants to play with their ecosystem (PSN, XBL, PC, Nintendo) then just include an option to disable cross-play.

Intrinsic said:

Gen 7: Sony says yes, MS says no
Gen 8: Sony says no, MS says yes
Gen 9: TBD

xPhenom08x said:

Correction: Everyone else would say yes.

aikohualda said:

with enough teasing sony might be able to say yes :P

Oh I am sure sony would have to budge every now and then. Like they have with COD and I think Fortnite. 

My point though was that if it is left to sony, they would say no. We all know what MS has been pushing so they would say yes. 

Sony doesn't want to do it for the exact same reason MS wants to do it. Just in reverse, sony doesn't want it so you will have to own a PlayStation, MS wants it so you wouldn't have to own a PlayStation. That is the only reason out there that MS has been pushing or this. You don't have to go buy a PS to game with your friends since you have an Xbox.

And all the support they are throwing in switches direction? Its because they don't see the switch as a threat. If they were so "pro-consumer" as "we even release on a competing platform" would suggest; then they should release their games on the PS4/5 too. Now that would be interesting.

Considering pretty much every game comes for PC next gen it seems like a given.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.