Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of the Wild - Recovery from the Experience

super_etecoon said:
gergroy said:
I’ve never been able to get into breath of the wild... maybe I’ll give it another shot next summer...

How far did you get into during your first attempt?

I dunno, played for about three or fours the first attempt, can’t really say how far that was, got to a few of the mini puzzle places.  It was a while ago.  

Around the Network
gergroy said:
super_etecoon said:

How far did you get into during your first attempt?

I dunno, played for about three or fours the first attempt, can’t really say how far that was, got to a few of the mini puzzle places.  It was a while ago.  

That's what I thought.  It's even possible than you may have been stuck trying to get to the fourth shrine and didn't feel like putting in the time or energy to work it out.  I get it, especially if you aren't feeling a game.

You'll get as many people in this thread evidently telling you that you made the right choice by stopping when you did, but I won't be one of them.  Getting the paraglider and being given total freedom in this world was so amazing on a personal level.  Some will say they "burned twenty minutes getting to the top of a hill for nothing" but I would argue that that's exactly where Zelda succeeds.  I love the outdoors and hiking and will always try to get to the top of the hill, just to see the view.  No other reason.  And that's exactly what I get out of BOTW.

Anyway, I hope you give it one more go, especially if you own it already.

To be honest I got bored with it.... after 170 hours!

Yep, it was an amazing journey. However I make the same kind of journeys in other games. In Death stranding I completely ignored the story missions (and online stuff) to explore the entire chapter 3 area on foot, survival mode style. RDR2 the same, I spend many hours canoeing everywhere, trying to get into the forbidden areas. I've 'filled in' every single road in TDU, I've traveled around the galaxy in Elite Dangerous, 9 month journey, and currently on an exploration tour of Earth in FS2020 while trying out the limits of the game. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/exploring-the-world-in-the-beechcraft-bonanza/266981

Breath of the wild was great to explore. I never used fast travel, hence the long play time, which made it even better, concentrate on what's around instead of following quests. After trial island I set off North into the desert then into the mountains. I didn't get to Kariko village (the first 'quest') to spend the seeds (or whatever they were called) until 80 hours in, already completed two of the main dungeons and fully explored castle Hyrule. (Should have done it sooner, that 8 slot weapon limit was a pain with how fast they break)

There is always the drive to find out what's beyond the river bend, over the next mountain etc. But I do lose some interest after exploring the map. TW3 got boring after I had 'completed' the exploration phase. In Death stranding I put the game on easy to rush through the story interruptions, back to hard for the delivery stuff. That's another thing that keeps me going, finding the most efficient way to do things. It could be the fastest way to dispatch Lynels or the fastest way to complete a delivery.

Great game, however my brain has been wired that way for a long time :)

Love the game, and love that Nintendo brought the series into more of an organic, free-flowing open-world direction - which in some ways brings it back to the series' roots. I really did not dig the more linear, puzzle-heavy Zeldas - though liked Twilight Princess somewhat. 

About the only things that piss me off about BotW are the frequency of breaking items and those gd Guardians.. The Divine Beasts/dungeons felt a bit empty at times too. Overall though one of the most enjoyable single player titles I've played in a long time.

Got to Ganon's castle and stepped away from the game like 3 years ago. Definitely will have to revisit it at some point once I get some of my review games & general backlog under control.

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Breath of the Wild is one of my least favourite Zelda games. However, it is the best open world game ever made. It is a masterpiece. We have already seen some of the influence that it will generate.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Sorry! I had to call this part out separately because it made me laugh out loud =D

SvennoJ said:

Yep, it was an amazing journey. However I make the same kind of journeys in other games. In Death stranding I completely ignored the story missions (and online stuff) to explore the entire chapter 3 area on foot, survival mode style. RDR2 the same, I spend many hours canoeing everywhere, trying to get into the forbidden areas. I've 'filled in' every single road in TDU, I've traveled around the galaxy in Elite Dangerous, 9 month journey, and currently on an exploration tour of Earth in FS2020 while trying out the limits of the game. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/exploring-the-world-in-the-beechcraft-bonanza/266981

Breath of the wild was great to explore. I never used fast travel, hence the long play time, which made it even better, concentrate on what's around instead of following quests. After trial island I set off North into the desert then into the mountains. I didn't get to Kariko village (the first 'quest') to spend the seeds (or whatever they were called) until 80 hours in, already completed two of the main dungeons and fully explored castle Hyrule. (Should have done it sooner, that 8 slot weapon limit was a pain with how fast they break)

There is always the drive to find out what's beyond the river bend, over the next mountain etc. But I do lose some interest after exploring the map. TW3 got boring after I had 'completed' the exploration phase. In Death stranding I put the game on easy to rush through the story interruptions, back to hard for the delivery stuff. That's another thing that keeps me going, finding the most efficient way to do things. It could be the fastest way to dispatch Lynels or the fastest way to complete a delivery.

Great game, however my brain has been wired that way for a long time :)

For me, it was the superb detail of the design that drove the exploration that forced me to fall in love with Breath of the Wild was its massive attention to the surroundings. As you said, the game was a real page-turner, metaphorically speaking. One thing was always leading to another, and when the game first came out, I found myself wondering when I should stop playing. It always felt like I was stumbling on something interesting, even the most remote corners of the world. I never thought that starting a horse-archer hunting spree in a blizzardly plain would be as fun as it was. I made a game out of it, trying to see how many animals I could slaughter, and how much meat I could harvest before it froze. I honed my skill and became reasonably good at it. I also thought of the jungle as my home, as I was often hanging out there, running my circuit to get ingredients for my adventurer kits. That brings me to another point: emergent gameplay. I think this is the first time Nintendo has made a game that genuinely encourages this - although I know some people played around with Mario 64 and Galaxy stuff - but that had more to do with glitches and wasn't by design.

The emergent storytelling and gameplay, for me, provides a richer experience than I've perhaps found in all other Zelda games combined, at least since the 3D era began.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

DarthMetalliCube said:

Love the game, and love that Nintendo brought the series into more of an organic, free-flowing open-world direction - which in some ways brings it back to the series' roots. I really did not dig the more linear, puzzle-heavy Zeldas - though liked Twilight Princess somewhat. 

About the only things that piss me off about BotW are the frequency of breaking items and those gd Guardians.. The Divine Beasts/dungeons felt a bit empty at times too. Overall though one of the most enjoyable single player titles I've played in a long time.

Got to Ganon's castle and stepped away from the game like 3 years ago. Definitely will have to revisit it at some point once I get some of my review games & general backlog under control.

I still haven't finished the game myself, either.

I feel like once I finish it, it's over. I want to save that moment until just before the sequel comes out, or if I decide to be finished with the game beforehand. I've been resisting for a day or two every few months or so. More so this year than last (because of more free time).

I agree with the Divine Beasts. I felt those dungeons were a little on the long side, and the fun part was the big boss fight before entering. As I've said in previous threads, I'm not much of a fan of dungeons in general. I liked them in Link to the Past and a few in Ocarina of Time, but dungeons in Link to the Past were rarely above the 20-minute mark, roughly about the length of a Shrine in Breath of the Wild. When getting to the bigger dungeons that happened in Wind Waker and such, I found them to be a bit punishing, not satisfying or enjoyable in any way - and they start you out with one of those stealth dungeons, too. So, when I quit the last three 3D Zeldas halfway (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword), it was more because I was done with them, rather than holding them off to come back to later. Breath of the Wild, I am sure I can finish now (I have all the locations discovered, all the divine beasts and dungeons cleared, and have advanced quite far with my armour and weapons), but I am holding off. I have NOT yet completed the Master Sword trials; I think that's the last remaining big thing for me in the game (yes, I already built my town up).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Rewired my brain too. Made me appreciate other open world games so much more. Can't wait to play AC Valhalla without rain knocking me off while climbing and Far Cry 6 without weapons falling apart after 3 shots and Horizon Zero Dawn without a stamina meter.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Just finished all shrines some months ago, perfect game for me, it's not the game of the year, it's the game of life!

I don't remember exactly who said it, I never realized how "tied" I was all my life until Zelda break me free. Now whatever I play something and see a mountain or construction I want to climb it and feel frustrated when the game don't let me do it.

Open world games are not open world anymore, that are open-land. Zelda holds the title of being open-land AND open-sky. I don't think I will ever again get the same satisfaction I had just paragliding from a tower :/

I just don't know if I want to play it again soon because I watched so much videos and tips about it that I already uncovered 95% of the game

Seems like an awesome game to revisit in few years though. When I won't remember anymore about the game secrets and locations I will try it again. Does not seem a game that will age fast at all, expecting Nintendo to re-release it in 15 years in a box with BOTW2, a 300 hours long experience, I'm ready!