By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The funniest/Dumbest reason for why a console won't succeed.

"It can't succeed without AAA third party support"

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
"It can't succeed without AAA third party support"

*laughs in nintendo*

Real talk though, this makes 100% sense, its just that it doesn't apply to nintendo becasue of their deep catalogue of first party franchises.

try making a PS or Xbox sell without third parties.

MasonADC said:

In light of the new consoles releasing, I thought I would propose a funny topic about the dumbest/funniest reasons you have heard someone say for why a console will not succeed. If you choose to participate in this thread please dont take it to seriously. 

Back when the Switch was first revealed, I remember somone(Colin Moriarty I believe) say that one of the factors for the switch flopping is that no one will be able to look up "Switch" on google and see a nintendo Switch, only a light switch. This is so funny to me, especially because now if you look up switch you actually see a nintendo switch. I think about this alot. 

Colin Moriarty is consistently a dumbass. Pretty certain he said the 3DS would fail, in large part due to the Vita, so another one for this list.

JWeinCom said:
MasonADC said:

In light of the new consoles releasing, I thought I would propose a funny topic about the dumbest/funniest reasons you have heard someone say for why a console will not succeed. If you choose to participate in this thread please dont take it to seriously. 

Back when the Switch was first revealed, I remember somone(Colin Moriarty I believe) say that one of the factors for the switch flopping is that no one will be able to look up "Switch" on google and see a nintendo Switch, only a light switch. This is so funny to me, especially because now if you look up switch you actually see a nintendo switch. I think about this alot. 

Colin Moriarty is consistently a dumbass. Pretty certain he said the 3DS would fail, in large part due to the Vita, so another one for this list.

Yep... https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/10/22/the-playstation-vita-is-set-to-succeed

"Vita will be pitted against the Nintendo 3DS. But the comparison doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and even if you were to pit them against each other, Vita is still destined to sell better. That's because in addition to games (which Nintendo 3DS is still sorely lacking), it's also a much more powerful machine capable of doing a whole lot more than 3DS."

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

Yep... https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/10/22/the-playstation-vita-is-set-to-succeed

"Vita will be pitted against the Nintendo 3DS. But the comparison doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and even if you were to pit them against each other, Vita is still destined to sell better. That's because in addition to games (which Nintendo 3DS is still sorely lacking), it's also a much more powerful machine capable of doing a whole lot more than 3DS."

Both the 3ds and vita were failing out of the gate.

THe difference was that nintendo literally did EVERYTHING to save the 3ds, in fact, I susupect the Wii U suffered in its first year becasue nintendo was so focused on saving the 3ds, while sony left the vita dead in the water.

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:
curl-6 said:

THe difference was that nintendo literally did EVERYTHING to save the 3ds, in fact, I susupect the Wii U suffered in its first year becasue nintendo was so focused on saving the 3ds, while sony left the vita dead in the water.

Still, he was wrong to the tune of roughly 60 million units, it was a terrible prediction that even at the time was laughable.

"Who would bother buying the new console when the games are available on the current one?""

Too soon?

TheBraveGallade said:
curl-6 said:

Look at the date of the article. By this point Nintendo had already slashed the price, and sales were rebounding, and had announced a fairly nice slate of games including Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing, Ocarina of Time, and Luigi's Mansion and probably a few others. In particular those first three games were all 10 million sellers, and anyone following the industry knew they'd be pretty big. Really the only major title Sony had shown off by then IIRC was Uncharted. 

And the games he lists to back up his claim that Vita has a better library? Uncharted, Resistance Burning Skies, Sound Shapes, Gravity Rush, Super Stardust Delta, Escape Plan, Ruin. Not exactly system sellers. Pretty sure Luigi's Mansion alone sold more than all of combined. 

You're not wrong about the different approaches Nintendo and Sony took (although I dunno if Sony could have saved the Vita if they wanted to, because they don't have the first party lineup that Nintendo does) but by this point, we knew enough to know that this was a ridiculous prediction. And, as shown in the OP, he continued to find ridiculous reasons to predict gloom and doom for Nintendo. Dude was way too biased to be working for a high profile outlet that claims to be reputable. And also a smug douche in general. Big part of the reason people say you can't spell ignorant without IGN.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 18 September 2020

curl-6 said:
Captain Yuri beat me to it, but yeah, "underpowered" is always hilarious, given that most gens weren't won by the strongest hardware and systems a gen behind in power have trounced their more powerful rivals.

On a related note, people claiming that the PS5 has no chance of beating the Xbox Series X, because it's a little less powerful. Usually accompanied by a rewriting of history to claim that the Xbox One's losing to the PS4 had absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft's initially-announced DRM scheme, the higher price, forced integration of Kinect, initial focus on media over games, terrible launch exclusives, or generally arrogant and disdainful attitude towards gamers during 2013, and was purely the result of it being the less powerful of the two consoles.

Someone on this site said the Switch would fail cause they didn’t call it “Nintendo Next”

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."