By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Vindication for Microsoft?

DonFerrari said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I’m gonna regret asking, because the answer will be stupid, but how is it a console war thread? 

You are the one that loves to throw "console war" left and right, so I guess you are the most qualified of us all to explain it. And also instead of replying with another question why don`t you simply answer what is your thread about them. Because from what it looks like it is you bathing in console war mongering and being very happy with it.

Guess you won`t wear your cape to defend Sony from the attacks since you are the one doing it right? But I bet if it was a similar thread and someone was attacking MS you would be flying very fast in defense saying you just want to correct misinformation right again?

Who attacked Sony? No one is attacking Sony here. I said this is a good start for them, assuming it’s even true that these games are cross gen. Mark your inability to answer my question down as another non-surprising development, please.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Yeah, it is vindication for sure. Sony is basically copying Gamepass with PS+ Collection. They dropped their next-gen exclusives only plan really fast after Microsoft announced they are aiming for cross-gen on all 2021 exclusives.

I think its just as likely they didnt drop anything. I suspect this was always their plan, but they suckered their fans in order to let MS take the heat for as long as possible. They did the same thing when they started charging for online, and now again with increased retail game prices.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

LudicrousSpeed said:

So Spider-Man, HFW, and Demon's Soul will all come to PS4

Where did you get the info that Demon's Souls will come to PS4?

Spiderman Miles is running on the Spiderman PS4 engine (improved), so why mention it in regards to true next gen titles when it never was one in the first place?
Even if they had said it's only on PS5, it'd still look very much like a PS4 game with PS5 enhancements.

Horizon is kind of a surprise, but we didn't really see any gameplay from it, so in that sense I guess not.

Anyway, personally I never had any issues with Microsofts approach, and I usually prefer for consoles to still get games after their successors come out.

LudicrousSpeed said:

PS Plus Collection - seems like a smaller version of GamePass, with no emphasis on newer titles.

The main difference will be day one first party titles into GamePass versus waiting until whenever for the PS Plus Collection.

while I don't think the PS Plus stuff comes remotely close to GamePass, it's a very good start for Sony.

I don't think that's what PS Plus Collection is.
It seems to be a part of PS Plus, for PS5. Seemingly free. As an incentive for people to buy the console and get a PS Plus subscription.
GamePass focuses on new games. PS + Collection is older PS4 games.

shikamaru317 said:
Yeah, it is vindication for sure. Sony is basically copying Gamepass with PS+ Collection. They dropped their next-gen exclusives only plan really fast after Microsoft announced they are aiming for cross-gen on all 2021 exclusives.

PS Plus Collection is seemingly a free addition to PS Plus subscribers on PS5.
Gamepass is a separate subscription not tied to the console.

The incentive of the former is to sell more PS5 consoles and PS Plus subscriptions. The latter is to get people into a separate subscription service that they can ideally use anywhere.

Which next-gen exclusive plan did they drop?
OP seems to be mistaken about Demon's Souls. That's apparently still only for PS5 for the duration of the exclusivity.
And I don't think Horizon or Spiderman were stated to be only for PS5? At least I don't see it in the trailers from 3 months ago. And Spiderman should be no surprise since it's running on the PS4 game's engine with improvements.

yvanjean said:

The $399 is a great price but PSPlus Collection does nothing compared to the value that Xbox Gamepass ultimate offers.

To determine the value of something, you must first know its price.

It seems to be a free addition to PS Plus for PS5. So $0 would be pretty good value for existing subscribers.
If you look at it from the perspective of a new customer, is $50/year for the PS Plus Collection, plus the monthly PS Plus games, etc, good value? Maybe.

Last edited by Hiku - on 16 September 2020

starcraft said:
shikamaru317 said:

I think its just as likely they didnt drop anything. I suspect this was always their plan, but they suckered their fans in order to let MS take the heat for as long as possible. They did the same thing when they started charging for online, and now again with increased retail game prices.

Agreed, this was always their plan. You don’t just add previous gen versions of games after they are well into development. These are games slated to release by 2022, the decision would have been made long ago. I just find the contradictory news so weird, like they flat out categorically denied months ago that MM was coming to PS4, and also that the PS4 game would be remastered on PS5, and yet here we are.

Otter said:

PS5 is launching with 2 next gen exclusives and has Ratchet, GOW and more scheduled for next year.

The primary fault of MS wasn't that they had cross gen games in the pipeline, it was their communicating that they were committed to cross gen for the next 2 years. Obviously a dumb PR move, but it would have been quickly forgotten if they actually showed next gen games that impressed. Instead we got that Halo Infinite gameplay demo and a bunch of CGI trailers.

Yep, this is it exactly. It is clear that PS5 are not too different from series X in that some games will overlap with the previous gen. The difference is that Sony hasnt comitted to doing this for a particular time. Otter's point is also correct in that MS has not been able to demonstrate a clear next-gen difference with their consoles which has led to the questions about how the current gen is dragging down the next gen.

Regarding the Japanese games comment, irrelevant to the topic and horses for courses. 

Around the Network
fauzman said:
Otter said:

PS5 is launching with 2 next gen exclusives and has Ratchet, GOW and more scheduled for next year.

The primary fault of MS wasn't that they had cross gen games in the pipeline, it was their communicating that they were committed to cross gen for the next 2 years. Obviously a dumb PR move, but it would have been quickly forgotten if they actually showed next gen games that impressed. Instead we got that Halo Infinite gameplay demo and a bunch of CGI trailers.

Yep, this is it exactly. It is clear that PS5 are not too different from series X in that some games will overlap with the previous gen. The difference is that Sony hasnt comitted to doing this for a particular time. Otter's point is also correct in that MS has not been able to demonstrate a clear next-gen difference with their consoles which has led to the questions about how the current gen is dragging down the next gen.

SNY may have wanted to do this all along and sat back to see what MS did first, taking any heat, maybe. They also may have figured if MS isn't going to compete with their games for at least 2 years, new hardware or not, why should we push too hard? SNY has the lead and momentum, so they might as well back off a bit and keep their PS4 user base happy while also having more than enough for PS5 to make it a worthy purchase.

The last thing SNY wants is for (potential) PS4 owners to decide to get an XBSS. If they can't/won't get a PS5, for now anyway, you also want to keep them away from the competition if you can without screwing yourself. Cross gen exclusives will help accomplish that, as long as SNY doesn't slack on next gen exclusives at the same time.

starcraft said:
shikamaru317 said:

Are you comparing the reversal in cross-gen policy at today's show to Sony beginning to charge for online in Nov 2013? And you think they suckered their fans and "let MS Take the heat"....for an entire gen that spanned 7 years? I don't think that's the same thing at all.

More generally on topic: I don't like this! Lame decision. When I saw @Rafie's post, I almost shit my pants. I haven't seen such a crappy job of messaging since the last time the Xbox team said something about anything.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
starcraft said:

Are you comparing the reversal in cross-gen policy at today's show to Sony beginning to charge for online in Nov 2013? And you think they suckered their fans and "let MS Take the heat"....for an entire gen that spanned 7 years? I don't think that's the same thing at all.

More generally on topic: I don't like this! Lame decision. When I saw @Rafie's post, I almost shit my pants. I haven't seen such a crappy job of messaging since the last time the Xbox team said something about anything.

I compared nothing. I just listed a few, top-of-my head examples of Sony making decisions that are not in the best interest of consumers, after acting (or even outright stating) like they would not.

Sometimes, this occurs with at best the wilful ignorance of, and at worst the actual support of their fanbase.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Vindication by a service that is nothing like GamePass?

haha, ok.

Thread need locking up!!
OP and every xbots fan agreeing with him are childish and ignorant.
@ everyone else, stop wasting your time with these creeps....

❌ BANNED (3 Days): Flaming/Spamming (Backseat Moderating)

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 17 September 2020