By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else felt underwhelmed with the FF XVI reveal?

Is it just me or did anyone get FF XV vibes with the FF XVI reveal, and in a bad way?

I dont know, the game being medieval fantasy already makes it miles better than FF XV, but that trailer was a mess, in terms of understanding what the hell is going on. It keeps jumping around so much, then bunch of NPCs throwing alot of dialogue with references that makes no sense( for someone that hasnt played the game) and then it goes to combat that, while it seems much more promising than FF XV(though it still isnt Turn Based Square!!!!), you cant make much of it outside of it being action based....

Plus why square loves teleporting characters so much?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Plus there is the fact that this feels very Game of Thrones inspired... Im not against blood or characters dying, but that kind of direction is not what I want for FF.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

I was already getting my hopes up when rumors came up about an actual fantasy setting similar to FFIX. Guess I shouldn't have expected anything. It doesn't look worse than the pile of shit FFXV was, but it doesn't really look much better. I called FFXV early to be absolute garbage and I was right. So yeah, I'm calling this one early too.

Where is my whimsical and magical Final Fantasy? What's with all that gritty angsty bullshit? I didn't ask for fucking Game of Thrones. The next gen is already off to a disappointing start. FFXVI was my last hope to have something to look forward to.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
I was already getting my hopes up when rumors came up about an actual fantasy setting similar to FFIX. Guess I shouldn't have expected anything. It doesn't look worse than the pile of shit FFXV was, but it doesn't really look much better. I called FFXV early to be absolute garbage and I was right. So yeah, I'm calling this one early too.

Where is my whimsical and magical Final Fantasy? What's with all that gritty angsty bullshit? I didn't ask for fucking Game of Thrones. The next gen is already off to a disappointing start. FFXVI was my last hope to have something to look forward to.

its called dragon quest

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Hiku said:
FF XV vibes? Not FF XIV?
Feels like a sequel to that series. MMORPG.

Please don't sully the name of a great game like FFXIV. This one is obviously born from the hideous loins of FFXV.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I was hoping for next gen graphics but I guess that would be too soon. We will see how it plays out.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

This already has my attention more than FFXV, but still I'm being reminded more and more why Final Fantasy is no longer what I want it to be combat wise and that's fine. A lot of it seems homogeneous with games that I haven't grown fond of.

Graphically it looks kinda underwhelming compared to say like FFVII: R. And I understand that this is probably very early footage and this is by SE Business Division III which is helmed by Yoshida whom is over FF XIV. So that would explain the visuals/theme and because of this I think FFXVI might be coming out sooner than we think. Overall it was a meh from me.

kirby007 said:
vivster said:

its called dragon quest

DQ isn't whimsical, it's tragic and hardcore.

FFIX, FFX and FFXIII are whimsical.

Hiku said:
FF XV vibes? Not FF XIV?
Feels like a sequel to that series. MMORPG.

Main(?) character keeps teleporting, fast paced action combat, lightining feels very XV(though the art seems like a mesh between XV and XIV), more gritty and realistic setting, etc

The graphics look pretty underwhelming. Maybe they're on a tight budget.