By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Anyone else felt underwhelmed with the FF XVI reveal?

Bristow9091 said:

... I was really excited when it first came on, trying to guess what it was, wondered if it was... and then I saw chocobos, summons (Ifrit did look pretty great, let's just admit it) and a Malboro... and then... the logo! I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little giddy. Even if it turns out to be "bad" I'm still gonna' be buying it day one, and will probably enjoy it. Even the "worst" Final Fantasy games, I consider to be good games, lol.

Same here, the worst FF mainline I played were still better than most games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This game looks so meh.  The gameplay looks like FF15 gameplay.  I was hoping FF would go back to controlling a party.  That alone is a deal breaker for me.  On top of that this trailer really didn't show anything else that was interesting.  Characters?  Don't care.  Story?  Don't care.  World?  Don't care.  Graphics?  Meh.

For a long time Final Fantasy was my favorite series.  I loved it starting with the very first NES game, and it became my favorite series with FF7.  I used to play every single game.  I even beat FF8 even though I despised the combat system.  It's just that I loved the series so much that I wanted to fully experience every game, even the frustrating ones like FF8.  And FF8 actually did have an interesting story and characters.  And even when they made mistakes, I felt the developers were trying to make the very best games possible.

At this point, I'm through with Final Fantasy though.  Fuck this game.  I'm tired of this same sort of shitty combat.  And the story and characters and world just look meh.  Make me care again dammit!  I really hope this game makes Square-Enix lose a ton of money.  They need to suffer, so they will go back to making good games again.  I'm tired of this bullshit.

You control a party on FF XV, FF VIIR so going back to what?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Bristow9091 said:
eva01beserk said:
Yea I dont know what people are complaining. Looked great to me. Mainly the combat. VIIR was terrible combat wise. Might look better if thats what you want but this is a definet step up for the combat wich is what I mostly care for. Story we know nothing yet aside that it has horrible British voice actors and hope that changes in the future.

... What do you have against British voice actors? :o 

Looks like evrytime they get British voices they pick some very forced accents to make it obvious. Even when you watch movies the real actors sound so much better and they don't use silly terminology or slang that only makes sense in the British hoods. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

DonFerrari said:
Bristow9091 said:

... I was really excited when it first came on, trying to guess what it was, wondered if it was... and then I saw chocobos, summons (Ifrit did look pretty great, let's just admit it) and a Malboro... and then... the logo! I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little giddy. Even if it turns out to be "bad" I'm still gonna' be buying it day one, and will probably enjoy it. Even the "worst" Final Fantasy games, I consider to be good games, lol.

Same here, the worst FF mainline I played were still better than most games.

Same here.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

rewatched the trailer again, and you definitely see influences from from DMC guy. Combat is a def step up from 15.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
finalrpgfantasy said:
Actually, I got some huge FF XIV vibes in the game.

Makes sense, since it's the same team developing it. And Yoshi-P is directing it, the man responsible for ARR.

The more I watch the trailer the more I enjoy it. So I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the old school medieval environments instead of expecting the crazy environmental madness from FFXV or FFXIII trailers that weren't even remotely playable in the end.

I prefer a lot more a medieval setting than a futuristic one. This got me right of the start. 

DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

This game looks so meh.  The gameplay looks like FF15 gameplay.  I was hoping FF would go back to controlling a party.  That alone is a deal breaker for me.  On top of that this trailer really didn't show anything else that was interesting.  Characters?  Don't care.  Story?  Don't care.  World?  Don't care.  Graphics?  Meh.

For a long time Final Fantasy was my favorite series.  I loved it starting with the very first NES game, and it became my favorite series with FF7.  I used to play every single game.  I even beat FF8 even though I despised the combat system.  It's just that I loved the series so much that I wanted to fully experience every game, even the frustrating ones like FF8.  And FF8 actually did have an interesting story and characters.  And even when they made mistakes, I felt the developers were trying to make the very best games possible.

At this point, I'm through with Final Fantasy though.  Fuck this game.  I'm tired of this same sort of shitty combat.  And the story and characters and world just look meh.  Make me care again dammit!  I really hope this game makes Square-Enix lose a ton of money.  They need to suffer, so they will go back to making good games again.  I'm tired of this bullshit.

Have you played FF15?  Gameplay is like Kingdom Hearts.  You control one guy are the rest follow AI.

I don't want FF gameplay that is like Kingdom Hearts.  In the earlier games you controlled a whole party.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
DonFerrari said:

Have you played FF15?  Gameplay is like Kingdom Hearts.  You control one guy are the rest follow AI.

I don't want FF gameplay that is like Kingdom Hearts.  In the earlier games you controlled a whole party.

I played and finished, you still can rotate among the other chars and can also select actions for them.

Rewatched the trailer, it really does seem like square is going for that wrpg vibe and I’m not feeling it atleast for now. This game isn’t coming out for a while though so it has time to grow on me

eva01beserk said:
haxxiy said:

Makes sense, since it's the same team developing it. And Yoshi-P is directing it, the man responsible for ARR.

The more I watch the trailer the more I enjoy it. So I guess it's just a matter of getting used to the old school medieval environments instead of expecting the crazy environmental madness from FFXV or FFXIII trailers that weren't even remotely playable in the end.

I prefer a lot more a medieval setting than a futuristic one. This got me right of the start. 

If we are talking about Final Fantasy, I prefer it too. Or magical tech, like most of XII.

FFVII here being the exception since it worked exceptionally well with that punk genre charm.