By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jimquisition about if you should buy games from bad companies

Ka-pi96 said:

Some companies are shittier than others, sure. But the less shitty ones are still shitty.

"That's why it's okay if I vote for Trump. The other guy isn't good either."

Around the Network

This guy is insufferable. Also, I'm pretty sure Jim hates just about everything lol - especially Ubisoft. He sure does moan a hell of a lot in his videos about a hobby he likes (to hate). Gotta pay the bills I guess, for the hits. There are so many of these 'I hate modern AAA games' on his channel, its gotten to a point on preaching :P That, and Jim's constant political leftist views are constantly rammed in our faces. He was good before, now he's just like every other ResetEra drone.

But yeah I just buy games that I like. I just avoid the crap stuff like micro-transactions. And if there are planned DLC season which are integral, I just wait for the complete editions. You can't really avoid shitty practices. Hell, even Nintendo are dabbing into microtransactions and split DLC content.

Jpcc86 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Not really. Just willing to acknowledge the truth that every video game company puts themselves first and only cares about their customers when it benefits them.

Speaking in general terms like you are, thats every company of every industry ever in the world in every single branch of commerce. That doesnt make them "shitty", that is literally whats needs to be done for a company - any company - to exist.

That is basically saying: don't criticize the player, criticize the game. And I agree partially: capitalism is a screwed up system and needs to be reformed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Jpcc86 said:

Speaking in general terms like you are, thats every company of every industry ever in the world in every single branch of commerce. That doesnt make them "shitty", that is literally whats needs to be done for a company - any company - to exist.

That is basically saying: don't criticize the player, criticize the game. And I agree partially: capitalism is a screwed up system and needs to be reformed.

While I agree with that, I meant it more in the sense that I dont see a company looking for its own interests as "shitty", cause thats the only way companies thrive, so to me thats amoral in itself. Speaking generally, without talking about specific practices, the idea that a company has to put itself first is the way it should be. 

I guess the "shitty" part is relative, but I personally link it more to "dishonest practices" like misleading marketing, "pay to win" models and such.
Ideally as Ferrari said, their interest of making money shouldnt come at the expense of their product's quality, and thats what we should support. I suppose that could be Jim Sterling's point too. 

Jpcc86 said:
Mnementh said:

While I agree with that, I meant it more in the sense that I dont see a company looking for its own interests as "shitty", cause thats the only way companies thrive, so to me thats amoral in itself. Speaking generally, without talking about specific practices, the idea that a company has to put itself first is the way it should be. 

I guess the "shitty" part is relative, but I personally link it more to "dishonest practices" like misleading marketing, "pay to win" models and such.
Ideally as Ferrari said, their interest of making money shouldnt come at the expense of their product's quality, and thats what we should support. I suppose that could be Jim Sterling's point too. 

Sterling speaks both about practices like microtransactions, but also about abuse allegations ranging from exploitation of the workforce to sexual abuse.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Mnementh said:

Yes the bad practices like mistreating employees, false advertisement, etc shall not be rewarded, but when a company is looking for its best interest in a moral way the result is a better product and smaller prices for customers since scale is really something that reduces costs and that is translated to us (unless of course you chose premium products that the value isn`t that much related to price and cost).

So if the best interests of a company matches your needs, most likely you`ll be satisfied with whatever you buy. But also agree that whenever you can try to buy local to support small business that will be much more affected by your personal decision (and you can reach out to say your opinion) than a multinational.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Yeah against all urges i have withold myself from buying some games, there are so many other options to enjoy myself.

shikamaru317 said:

I know I have never boycotted a game from any of these companies and don't intend to. I play what games interest me, and don't play what doesn't interest me. If I let shitty business decisions and unhealthy developer crunch stop me from buying games, I basically couldn't buy any games at all, because just about every publisher and developer is guilty of this stuff. I can't think of a single game publisher who hasn't done something controversial at some point. Obviously some are worse than others, but I still play there games if they interest me.

Considering your playing habits I would say it is very unlikely that you buy games from companies that have the shittiest practices because that usually shows up on the product as well. Unhappy employees do to poor working condition, paying or abusive overtime is more likely to be bad quality.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:
If you didn't buy games from shitty companies you wouldn't buy games full stop. EVERY SINGLE ONE is shitty!

Well, maybe some indies with five people aren't that shitty.

Depends, are they called Slaughtering Grounds? There are some indie developers who actually could give some AAA a run for their money in terms of shittyness or anti-consumerism.

And while they all tend to be shitty, the AAA companies very easily take the cake by being deeply exploitative on top of it, both to their employees and their consumers. For them, having their cakes and eating them too is just plain not enough...

Edit: Just for the record: My last titles I bought from:

EA: Dragon Age: Origins on (PC)

Activision Blizzard: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance(Wii)

Ubisoft: Child of Light: Ultimate Edition, Just Dance 2018 (both for the Switch and for my Wife. Last game I bought for myself was South Park: The Stick of Truth on PC)

Bethesda: TES: Morrowind (PC, though admittedly I got some of the modern Wolfenstein titles through Humble Bundle and the like)

Epic: Unreal Tournament 2004

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 17 September 2020