By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How the Series S reveal was supposed to go (Leak)

ironmanDX said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I imagine games optimized for Series X actually require significant work, essentially be a port to really utilize the new hardware.

Unoptimized will still have significant upgrades like fast loading, dynamic resolutions staying at max, performance actually locking to 30 or 60 fps, etc. I recall MS also demonstrated Gears Ultimate was running at native 4K even though the game has no 4K support on Xbox One. Upgrades like that might just be at some emulation level but still not an optimized game.

I'm coming from One S so even if a lot of the games I play currently get bumped up to the Xbox One X versions, I'll be pretty wrapped. Apex Legends for me, for an example is 720-1080 dynamic 60fps.

Kinda can't wait to see it in 4k tbh.

Unfortunately, the Series S is designed to handle BC content like a base console. I was bummed by this news.

Its not all bad though, it seems likely the Series S can still push dynamic resolutions and performance to their max. Load times will also be vastly improved. I bet there will be titles where BC on Series S is still better than using a One X overall.

On a side note, I'm thinking the Series S can't do 4K in games at all. The advertising suggests it really is limited to 1440p. So if Apex does get optimized for Series S, it will likely be at 1440p which is still much better than base Xbox One.

Disappointing, but the price is still good for what it does.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
ironmanDX said:

I'm coming from One S so even if a lot of the games I play currently get bumped up to the Xbox One X versions, I'll be pretty wrapped. Apex Legends for me, for an example is 720-1080 dynamic 60fps.

Unfortunately, the Series S is designed to handle BC content like a base console. I was bummed by this news.

Its not all bad though, it seems likely the Series S can still push dynamic resolutions and performance to their max. Load times will also be vastly improved. I bet there will be titles where BC on Series S is still better than using a One X overall.

On a side note, I'm thinking the Series S can't do 4K in games at all. The advertising suggests it really is limited to 1440p. So if Apex does get optimized for Series S, it will likely be at 1440p which is still much better than base Xbox One.

You think I'm getting the series S?

I mean... It's great for people who want it but...

Fuck no. Series X day one for me.

Cobretti2 said:
DonFerrari said:

From what we know Sony will have certified (but don`t need to be) expansion driver for internally, but externally will be USB 3.1 or perhaps 3.2 still not sure if even a capable SSD on the external would run nextgen game.

Yep and that makes me happy that there is some way for next gen games to be stored (even if it costs me more for their certified expansion drives).

Main reason I wanted this ability was tired of all the day 1 patches and addons, that you have deleted only to years later not being able to play it.

Being able to play last gen games and store them on a regular external is also an awesome addition. Finally I never have to delete stuff, just buy multiple drive. Hell even back up drives if I feel like it. 

Actually at least for PS you don't really need it to be certified, as long as it have the capability it shall work (per Cerny saying), the certification is just that Sony will test and certify some so user can safely buy.

On the MS front I don't think it is impossible as well that some third parties make their own expansion SDD for Series X and Series S for a lot cheaper, but also sure it won't be as trustworthy as the official one.

Mr Puggsly said:
ironmanDX said:

That is a disappointment. For the big power difference it certainly could do more, but ow well, possibly people getting Series S won't be that bothered by it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mr Puggsly said:
AkimboCurly said:

- 20 Xbox Series X optimised games on launch. Doesn't seem like that many tbh.

I imagine games optimized for Series X actually require significant work, essentially be a port to really utilize the new hardware.

Unoptimized will still have significant upgrades like fast loading, dynamic resolutions staying at max, performance actually locking to 30 or 60 fps, etc. I recall MS also demonstrated Gears Ultimate was running at native 4K even though the game has no 4K support on Xbox One. Upgrades like that might just be at some emulation level but still not an optimized game.

Is this true? I had presumed that an unoptimised game would effectively just be the One X version at a locked framerate and hitting the original resolution target.

So like, here's a question. Sunset Overdrive came out back in 2014... say I want to get the DLC and play it in 4k rather than 900p, and want to see Dolby Vision at its finest. On the One X it still runs at 900p@30fps and the only change is nice 16x anisotropic filtering. To my understanding it will still be 900p@30fps on XSX, right?

AkimboCurly said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Is this true? I had presumed that an unoptimised game would effectively just be the One X version at a locked framerate and hitting the original resolution target.

So like, here's a question. Sunset Overdrive came out back in 2014... say I want to get the DLC and play it in 4k rather than 900p, and want to see Dolby Vision at its finest. On the One X it still runs at 900p@30fps and the only change is nice 16x anisotropic filtering. To my understanding it will still be 900p@30fps on XSX, right?

That was my assumption as well but it appears to just run BC content as a base console.

They still haven't clarified what Xbox One games will get a resolution boost on Series X. The only evidence we've seen this could happen was Gears Ultimate running at 4K.

I am thinking it will just be select titles. Sunset Overdrive might be 1800p if any upgrade at all.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
AkimboCurly said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Don`t forget a very big bunch of games didn`t get an optimization for PS4Pro or X1X.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

AsGryffynn said:
Norion said:
Seeing this makes me glad most of the information got leaked since this would've been a dull way to reveal it.

Leaks build up hype. Reveals do not... or not as much. 

I'd argue that leaks can often suck away hype. A good reveal for something big can cause a ton of hype. Videos of E3 crowds going crazy is a good example.