By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How the Series S reveal was supposed to go (Leak)

Cobretti2 said:
Why can't that make next gen games playable from external? The 1TB of space is going to be used p very quickly. This is the kind of piss poor planning that makes you wonder why bother with consoles anymore and stick to just PC games

Because the next gen games will expect faster data transfer than an external HDD (or even an external SATA-SSD) can guarantee.

I'm sure that you can move the next gen games to the external drive instead of deinstalling/deleting them. When you want to play the game again, you just move or copy them back to the faster storage.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Cobretti2 said:
Why can't that make next gen games playable from external? The 1TB of space is going to be used p very quickly. This is the kind of piss poor planning that makes you wonder why bother with consoles anymore and stick to just PC games

Because the next gen games will expect faster data transfer than an external HDD (or even an external SATA-SSD) can guarantee.

I'm sure that you can move the next gen games to the external drive instead of deinstalling/deleting them. When you want to play the game again, you just move or copy them back to the faster storage.

That is basically what Sony and MS said. External HDD you can use to last gen game directly, for current gen game it needs to be on the internal SDD or an equivalent external. If you have the next gen game on a HDD it needs to be transfered to a compatible SSD before run.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Its a shame the Series S leaked the way it did but at the same time it was the worse kept secret for any console i history. And I think the viral thing worked it it's favour.

It was trending for quite a while on most media outlets.

Conina said:
Cobretti2 said:

I get that, what I was implying is they should have bloody thought about this and made it work with their new custom SSDs as externals.

Saying that, Barozi pointed out that there indeed (at least on the XBOX) is an expansion slot for their propitiatory SSDs. This is great news and glad they actually put some thought into it. Hopefully the PS5 has done something similar.   

Cobretti2 said:
Conina said:

I get that, what I was implying is they should have bloody thought about this and made it work with their new custom SSDs as externals.

Saying that, Barozi pointed out that there indeed (at least on the XBOX) is an expansion slot for their propitiatory SSDs. This is great news and glad they actually put some thought into it. Hopefully the PS5 has done something similar.   

From what we know Sony will have certified (but don`t need to be) expansion driver for internally, but externally will be USB 3.1 or perhaps 3.2 still not sure if even a capable SSD on the external would run nextgen game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

The HDD news isn't new, they revealed this months ago. Last gen and older games you can store and play from any external drive but for XSS/X games they have to be on the SSD or an official external SSD. AFAIK the PS5 is the same way, though they will have third party drives. Also as others have said, this was supposed to be a briefing for media and retailers, not the general public, so of course it's a bit dry.

DonFerrari said:
Cobretti2 said:

From what we know Sony will have certified (but don`t need to be) expansion driver for internally, but externally will be USB 3.1 or perhaps 3.2 still not sure if even a capable SSD on the external would run nextgen game.

Yep and that makes me happy that there is some way for next gen games to be stored (even if it costs me more for their certified expansion drives).

Main reason I wanted this ability was tired of all the day 1 patches and addons, that you have deleted only to years later not being able to play it.

Being able to play last gen games and store them on a regular external is also an awesome addition. Finally I never have to delete stuff, just buy multiple drive. Hell even back up drives if I feel like it. 

AkimboCurly said:

- 20 Xbox Series X optimised games on launch. Doesn't seem like that many tbh.

I imagine games optimized for Series X actually require significant work, essentially be a port to really utilize the new hardware.

Unoptimized will still have significant upgrades like fast loading, dynamic resolutions staying at max, performance actually locking to 30 or 60 fps, etc. I recall MS also demonstrated Gears Ultimate was running at native 4K even though the game has no 4K support on Xbox One. Upgrades like that might just be at some emulation level but still not an optimized game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
AkimboCurly said:

- 20 Xbox Series X optimised games on launch. Doesn't seem like that many tbh.

I imagine games optimized for Series X actually require significant work, essentially be a port to really utilize the new hardware.

Unoptimized will still have significant upgrades like fast loading, dynamic resolutions staying at max, performance actually locking to 30 or 60 fps, etc. I recall MS also demonstrated Gears Ultimate was running at native 4K even though the game has no 4K support on Xbox One. Upgrades like that might just be at some emulation level but still not an optimized game.

I'm coming from One S so even if a lot of the games I play currently get bumped up to the Xbox One X versions, I'll be pretty wrapped. Apex Legends for me, for an example is 720-1080 dynamic 60fps.

Kinda can't wait to see it in 4k tbh.

Norion said:
Seeing this makes me glad most of the information got leaked since this would've been a dull way to reveal it.

Leaks build up hype. Reveals do not... or not as much.